October 23, 2014 | 922 users online

Hair Treatments - Jamila Henna

rated 5 of 5 on 10/14/2014 6:46:00 PM More reviews by Steelermummeh

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I purchased 2 boxes of Super Soft Summer Crop 2014, which is BAQ (body art quality) from Henna Sooq. Now, the seller does not include instructions - but to be perfectly honest, henna application varies so much that it would be nigh on impossible to make a "one size fits all" recipe. So I found a recipe I liked - basically henna plus lemon juice - mixed it up and left it alone overnight. I've read about nasty smells, but it wasnt offensive to me (or my husband).

Later the next day...

It looks like a cross between saag aloo (minus the aloo) and a baby's diarrhea. Just lovely. Thankfully the odor was actually almost nice if you like earthy, grassy, peat-y aromas (I do).

While I stirred, hubby got plastic bags (floor protection) and some Saran wrap. He then took over and applied it per my somewhat-scattered instructions. Wrapped it up with the Saran, then waited for about 3 hours.

Later that same evening...

Rinse time! Because we used the kitchen sink, it was uber easy to wash it all out without soaking the dog and leaving red stains on places I didn't even know we had places. Then we sat around until my hair was dry.

Results: My hair has changed from brownish to a definite reddish brown, it's much shinier and looks far more heathy. By day 2, there was a definite change in color, my hair looked prettier than before, and outdoors it is much more noticeable.

I'm hooked!

There are pics on my blog if anyone other than me is interested :)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2010 10:30:00 PM More reviews by TrizyDLuX

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Jamila is my go-to henna and I have been using it regularly for YEARS. I have tried many many other kinds and the plain Jamila that I get from the Indian market for $1.99 is my favorite. I tried body art quality hennas of various kinds, but I found that the color was TOO deep and burgundy for me. On the other hand, I also tried Rainbow and Light Mountain henna (just the pure 100% henna colors) and found that they did not deposit enough color for me. Jamila is just right. NOTE that there are two different grades of Jamila henna. There is a higher quality (for mehndi) that comes in a silver colored bag inside a box that is marked on the bottom with a date stamp, and there is a lower quality (for hair) that comes in a clear bag inside the same box but without a date stamp. I have tried both on my hair, and the color is more intense with the better product. Still... I prefer the cheap stuff because the color stays more auburn and less burgundy with repeated use on my hair. HTH

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/19/2009 6:12:00 PM More reviews by LittleBear23

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been using BAQ henna on my hair off and on for years. I usually mix 2 boxes (200 g) of Jamila with 100g of another henna that I choose on the spot. I order from hennaforhair. I mix a little of another henna in because I think Jamila is very coppery. I definitely want coppery but no too orange. So, this is perfect. I mix with lemon juice, orange juice, grapeseed oil (for softness), dextrose (to make the mix smooth), cardamom powder, ginger powder and lavendar oil (for scent). I let the mix sit overnight and then usually leave it on my hair for 4 hours. I get a gorgeous coppery red. It's a lovelier color than any salon color I've ever had, lasts longer, is less expensive, and makes my hair feel better (vs. worse for salon colors). I haven't had any problems with skin staining but I'm pretty diligent about putting some oil on my skin around my hairline, using gloves, and wiping up any drippings. I agree with the other reviewer who said that Jamila is finely sifted. I don't get any clumps and have never had a bathtub drain issue. The only downside I can see is that my hair and scalp smell of the henna for more than a week after my coloring no matter what I do. I find the scent pleasant and earthy but it is notable that it will last for more than a week.

If you're going to color your hair red I think BAQ henna is the way to go and Jamila is an excellent choice in BAQ henna.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/12/2009 3:29:00 AM More reviews by Rockabillygirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really Love Henna! I have been using it for years now! I have tried it on my hair before..not a big fan of that. I use it more for designs and for nail coloring! When i use it for nail coloring my nails become a nice red to orange tone.I will continue to use this product since i like the results it gives me! I give it 4 lippies only because since this is a natural product it has a strong smell and i just dont like it! it smells nasty! But yes i will buy this product and use it to color my nails and do the henna designs on my hands!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/31/2008 11:20:00 PM More reviews by rjunk

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought Jamila Henna 2008 crop from www.khairscollection.com. I was not sure about Jamila Henna, so I just bought a 35 grams box which was $4.50 and shipping was free.
I used tea, coffee, lemon juice and yogurt in my henna paste and the results were excellent. I was happy with my purchase. After using Jamila Henna, I don't think I can go back to any other brand of henna.
I just bought a few more boxes of 100 grams Henna. They give shipping discounts if we buy a few boxes.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/20/2008 11:15:00 AM More reviews by gunjee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I use henna to cover grays about every 3 months or so. This is a review for a henna I got at the Indian grocery store. It's called "Arzoo Mehndi" and has a picture of a woman who looks like she's in ecstasy on the front. I paid $1.99 for the box. It doesn't say on the box how many grams it is, but I used half a box of it for my thick curly shoulder length hair. I added a teaspoon each of ginger powder, brahmi powder (also sold at the Indian store, it's supposed to make hair grow faster), tulsi powder (cleans the scalp of toxins, although the henna should do a pretty good job of that by itself), bringraj powder (supposed to make hair more beautiful, known as the king of the hair plant), and kapur kachli powder (which supposedly makes hair grow and smells nice). I mixed these together in an old yogurt container with a wooden chopstick adding hot water slowly and stirring until it was cake batter consistency. I added half a capful of tea tree oil to terp it (gets the color going faster), and went into the bathroom to apply with gloves. I drop smeared on my forehead and I waited maybe 5 seconds to wipe it off, and it left a faint orange stain, I kid you not! The whole process of applying took 10 minutes for me. I covered my head up with a plastic shopping bag and then a shower cap, and proceeded to clean up. My right glove apparently had a couple of tiny holes in it because when I took them off and rinsed my hands, there were 3 distinct orange dots on my hand. The dots are bright orange today. This stuff is works very well for color. Or at least the tea tree oil makes it work well. I put this on last night and rinsed it off in the morning, and my hair is quite frizzy and dry feeling, but after a proper CO wash, my hair should be back to normal. I see no greys and before I had at least 10. My hair is naturally coarse and black, but the henna has made it more reddish dark brown, shinier, and a little less curly. It hasn't even oxidized yet, so the color should be brighter tomorrow.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2008 3:00:00 AM More reviews by rocio1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm with every one else on here! I purchase this brand at my local Indian grocer for $2 a box. It is supposed to be one of the best brands. Anyway, like the others have stated, use only BAQ henna, and stay away from brands that have different colors to dye hair cause they contain PPDs which can cause allergic reactions generally are not good for the hair. OK so the 1st time using this was terrible, my hair came out dry and rough, but I read that this can happen so I tried it again. Each time my hair has improved, and now after about 5 treatments the change is very apparent. Much thicker hair, incredible shine, less breakage and softness for days! Ahh! Just make sure to DT after to add moisture back, and put lots of newspaper down on the floor. Not too messy if you go slow, and don't add lemon juice if your hair is dry, warm water is enough. Works better for me on damp hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/25/2008 10:04:00 PM More reviews by suegy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This is a review on the Catherine's Personal Stash 2007Jamilla Henna from www.hennaforhair.com

I bought Henna for the conditioning, not color. Since I didn't want red hair I did a henna gloss which is mixing henna with conditioner. I have very long thick hair and used 1 box + conditioner (Nature's Gate). This stuff is great. Makes the hair very very soft, shiny and give me a slight auburn tint in the sun or light. I have black hair.

I really like Henna. It's messy for the first few times but when I did it yesterday it wasn't bad at all. The website I listed is also good because there is a very active forum so you can ask plenty of questions. You can also mix henna with other plant extracts to get a more brown, black or blonde color.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2008 5:25:00 PM More reviews by ilookcool

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I absolutely adore henna. The shine it gave my hair is unbeatable! My husband rarely paid attention to these kind of things, but he commented that my hair was "extremely shiny" after my first treatment with henna. Yes, it's messy, it's laborious, it takes commitment, but hell yeah, I will not stop using henna as long as I live. :)

Make sure to use BAQ though. I've never used non-BAQ, but based on the feedback from people at longhaircommunity.com, it makes quite a difference.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/11/2008 6:49:00 PM More reviews by camillacamilla

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

WOW is all I can say. I have tried Hennalucent from Sally's (bad), Rainbow Research's Persian Red(twigs and chaff), and Lush's Caca Rouge(no real complaints, a nice henna), but Jamila blows them all out of the water. I ordered from hennaforhair.com on I believe a Monday and had my package of henna by Friday. Super fast shipping. Reasonable price for this remarkable henna.

My henna is BAQ, marked "super sift, summer 2007 crop". No nasty sand fillers, or bits of twigs and rough plant material. I used citric acid, water, paprika and orange juice in my mix, let it sit overnight, then applied to my hair. Four and a half hours later, I had the easiest henna removal I have ever had. The fine textured powder made an easy to remove paste that left my normally DARK hair with a fiery red tinge. The best part is the color will get even better as it oxidizes over the next few days. Unbelieveable! I normally use 6 blocks of Lush's Caca Rouge, and used 1 1/2 boxes of 100 gram Jamila henna to cover my thick, bra strap length hair. Much more economical than Lush, for sure. I will repurchase this great henna again in the future, again from the great seller at hennaforhair.com.