July 28, 2014 | 952 users online

Hair Styling Tools - Curlformers-Hair Flair Ltd.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/3/2014 4:57:00 AM More reviews by CreepySleepy

I really like these! such a simple, great product! I have med length thin hair and 16 curlformers were enough for my hair. I dont understand how people sleep in them though!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/13/2013 1:57:00 PM More reviews by michellerodgerscts

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Dark, Neutral Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

First, I purchased these from eBay and I am positive I do not have the "real" curlformers as mine are slightly off color from the ones that you can purchase from either the website or Sally's. With that said....I LOVE THIS HAIR STYLER! They are amazing...I have long, African American, extremely frizzy/curly/wavy/thick hair that is really long (approx 16-18 inches, and it was previously longer before cutting). I use either the extra long and wide curlers (1 inch curl), the extra long curl formers (1/2 inch curl), or a combination of the two. I have tried them both air drying and under the drier and I have to say I prefer the drier. I do not like to sleep with huge things in my hair, and I also like to separate the curls and pin curl them. To apply them, I usually use a leave in conditioner or curl cream and a bit of light oil. Sometimes, I will use a bit of gel, but I prefer a softer curl, so I usually do not include gel. After applying them to my hair, I either go to sleep, or sit under the drier. For my hair porosity, length and thickness, it usually takes about 2 hours to be dry completely. With that said, I cant sit still so I probably get up a few times. If for some reason my hair is not all the way dry before I go to bed, I will throw a few flexirods in my hair that are the same size as the curl, and take those out in the morning. To maintain for the week, I usually pin curl before bed, or throw in a flexirod or two (I do this if the curls drop a significant amount, and I want to make the curl tighter, without using heat).

I do not like applying tons of heat to my hair, mostly because I like my hair "fluffy", and I do not want to damage my natural curl pattern. Curlformers are my go-to styling tool as of late, I usually apply them a 2-3 times a month on wash day, and I will continue to use them. When my hair was longer than the 22 inch curler, I would twist my hair from the root a few inches, and then put the curl former in my hair...this works just as well. Also, sometimes I will run a warm flat iron through the roots.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/30/2013 12:16:00 PM More reviews by Victoriajane89

Love these!

I applied these to damp hair and left until my hair dried naturally. When I removed them my hair was WOW. Volume added and curled! I brushed out the curls as I prefer a more wavy look but next time I will use thicker sections of hair to get that wavy look! Curls are tight and look great.

Add some Moroccan oil in damp hair and again once they have been removed with a touch of hair spray and you are good to go!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/8/2013 10:35:00 AM More reviews by FootSoldier66

I'm not really sure where I stand with these Curlformers. If put in wet hair and then slept on overnight, you get amazing beautiful results. One of my issues with regular curlers or hot rollers is that they don't really curl at the roots. No one else seems to mind this but it looks silly to me when the hair is wavy or curly everywhere but the roots. This is not an issue with Curlformers, you look curly from top to bottom! So that's definitely a plus.

My problem is what they're made out of. They've been around a long time and I just have trouble believing that by now they couldn't have made them out of something better. These are so terribly uncomfortable (and painful) to sleep in. I usually wake up with a headache from them. They're also almost impossible to dry with a hairdryer. They do have little mesh like holes in them but it's just not enough, not enough air gets in. I feel like there just has to be something out there that would be softer and let in more air that these things could be made out of.

I'm always looking for easy ways to curl my hair. Irons and wands take too much time and never get close enough to the root for me. Hot rollers barely curl, they mostly wave and again, not close enough to the root. Regular magnetic or velcro rollers aren't the greatest for sleeping and take too much time to roll the hair up into. And scrunching products always end up being crunchy or weird. Curlformers are insanely fast to put into place and I really love that about them. But in the end I feel like all that time I save while putting them just goes down the drain with how insanely long it takes these things to dry.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/11/2012 10:32:00 AM More reviews by LissCT

I purchased a non-brand name equivalent and spent $22 (plus $2 shipping) on 40 extra wide/long curlers (on e b a y). My daughter has very long straight hair. I watch a few tutorials on youtube before trying them on my daughter.

They key is to use a small amount of hair for each curler. When I tried to use a bigger chunk the hair got tangled. When a small amount the hair slips through the curler very easily. Also, the hair should be wet and we used styling product (lightweight mousse) to hold the curl.

I used a total of 35 curlers on her long hair. Next time I'll make ever smaller sections and use all 40.

I alternated pink and orange to give the curls a more natural look. It probably took 20-25 minutes once I got the hang of how to use them. She threaded the wand for me as I separated the next section and gave the roots a little twist. We used no heat as she slept on them over night. She did not complain about them being uncomfortable to sleep on and she just turned 14 so she tends to complain about a lot!

It only took me about 7-8 minutes to remove all the curlers this morning. If the curls come out wonky simply twist the hair around your finger in the same direction the curler was in and it reforms into a perfect spiral.

We used a bit a hairp spray to hold the curls and she was off to school. We could have done a lot more styling (clips, barrettes, etc.) but she was thrilled with the bouncy spirals!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/26/2012 9:50:00 AM More reviews by Wilanna

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I bought curlformers couple of weeks ago. Iíve been using them almost every day. I love it. I put them on before I go to sleep, and take off in the morning, then brush my hair and ready to go. Nothing else is needed. Curls are neat and shiny, doesnít matter how many times I brush through during a day time, they form back in to beautiful spiral curls. People keep approaching me and ask, if these are my real curls or how do I achieve such a natural looking curls. Firstly, I do have thin hair, so I donít need a lot of curformers for everyday basis. I use about 10 of them in total. Another story, if I go out at night and have a lot of time to spare during day time, then I use a lot more. Secondly, I donít fix them very closely to the roots. In fact, I donít need to. I only worry about dry ends, so I just fix curlformers a bit above half line starting from ends, so I have enough free space for my head to rest during night. Another thing, I donít put curformers on completely wet hair, because they stretch easier and break. I prefer to use some serum or argan oil, which not only give shine but help hair glide inside the curlformer.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/31/2011 1:28:00 AM More reviews by StarsnRocketsES

As a 4c natural, I use these on wet hair to stretch it for easy styling. My hair fully dries in 6 hours. This is also a great way to air dry my hair for a smooth set before I flat iron. I find that I can't separate my curls or they fall or frizz up so I never wear a curl formers set. After applying my leave-in conditioner, I set with the Garnier smooth and sleek hair serum to get a smooth set. I also make sure my hair is very smooth by detangling with a wide tooth comb then with a finer tooth comb. If I don't use the fine tooth comb my set ends up tangled. I'm using a total of 32 extra wide and long. The price has doubled over the past five year so they are super expensive. Needs a larger hook for people with thick curly hair.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2011 12:09:00 PM More reviews by dddoxie

I have very long hair and a lot of it. That said, this became a somewhat expensive venture for me because I ended up purchasing 7 bags of the wide/extra long curlers which totaled almost $100.00. I ultimately believe the price will be worth it because it takes forever for me to dry and curl my hair the 'normal' way. The curlformers take almost an hour to put in and probably another hour or so to dry on me.

It definately takes quite a few tries to get used to using these. Especially with long hair, I found that the wrong angle, wrong direction of the 'hook' and too large of hair sections made for a tangly mess. I ended up making 1/2 inch sections of hair per curler to avoid the tangliness.

The end result is beautiful ringlets that soften out to a noticeable waviness on me. Great for adding volume to my very straight hair.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/15/2011 10:01:00 AM More reviews by Aquaticsazure

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Once you get the hang of using these things (it took me three tries on separate days) they are seriously awesome - even if you're a curly haired girl like me. I have thick yet fine, naturally curly 3A type hair for reference.
Sometimes I have amazing hair days naturally...and sometimes my hair comes out flat with stringy limp curls. It's really frustrating - especially when I have a special event I'm getting ready for. I am now able to use my Curlformers to mold my curls into perfection (without heat) every time I use them.
It's incredibly liberating and has taken away the stress around prepping my curls. I get big loopy curls with body and zero frizz. Depending on how close I put them in to my scalp I can go from Shirley Temple curls to something a bit more wearable if I leave about a 2 inch gap at my scalp.
I have the "Long and Extra Wide" styling kit which is awesome for loose beachy type waves and I also have the "Long and Wide" kit which gives me more curl (the company's website calls them typical curls for shoulder length hair)
I was so pleased with them I did a favorable in depth review with lots of pictures over on my blog: http://wp.me/pHXFO-cc
The only reason I gave Curlformers 4/5 is because of the price - they're not cheap! If they were more affordable I'd buy more - specifically a short set since I cut my hair shorter for the warm weather.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/11/2011 1:17:00 PM More reviews by sapora

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is my first review!

I purchased curlformers to help me transition from relaxed to natural hair. I have thick hair that looks about 3c. I really like this product. It took some getting used to and trial and error. But now it's a breeze.

Some issues I ran into...

-Hair tugging on the hook: I resolved this by working with at least damp hair. Even if it's just dampened with leave in conditioner or detangling spray. Also, it's important to section off the hair into 1 or 2 inch sections. Then twist the hair at the root. By twisting at the root the hook will grab on better and hair won't slide out of the hook as you slide the curlformer on.

-Uncomfortable to sleep in: I resolved this by keeping the curlformer about an inch AWAY from my roots. If you are at the root you will NOT be able to sleep at all. The roots never came out ugly, so I continue to keep the curlformer away from my roots. Finally, I put the formers in so that they don't touch my face. (I wear side bangs, so install the curlformer so that it lays to the side and not on your forehead. Part your hair before you start.)

-Frizzy Hair: This is more of a hair issue than a curlformer issue. The results always came out great! But then my hair would frizz up. I switched leave in conditioners and added some oil to my hair. Now my style stays :o) So it's important for your hair to be moisturized. You might also want to try a setting spray.

Now that I'm used to the curlformers it takes me about 30 minutes to put them in. The latest I've put them in was about 1:30am and by 7am they were dry. I do use a microfiber towel to get out some of the excess water if it's a shampoo day. So that probably helps with drying. I purchased the salon kit, which comes with 40 curlformers... but I didn't need that many. I probably used about 20 at the most. Also, I have the long and wide kit, that comes with 6 short and wide. My hair is about 3-4 inches shorter than shoulder length, so that makes the curlformers too long for me, but the shorter ones the kit came with are too short and only work on my bangs. Therefore, I think I will be able to get a lot of usage out of these before my hair gets too long.

I will keep using these. I haven't noticed any breakage or tension breakage either. And to me these are easier to sleep in than bantu knots.

I hope this helped :o)