Laura Mercier Black Plum

4.5

on 8/1/2015 6:26:00 PM

Fell in love with this shade as soon as I saw it the first time. Black plum and plum smoke shades make the great duo for a quick smokey eye makeup, especially for green eyes. Bought them together, and, oh, boy, it was expensive.
I was so excited to try them out, applied with no primer and that was such a disappointment! They wouldn't stick and would end up all over my face, creating a huge mess. The colour didn't show up at all and came right off.
Next time I've applied it with the primer (I used NYX white primer), and, wow, primer really made a huge difference! The colour applied evenly, blended easily and stayed on place till I took it off. Was super quick and easy to work with. It's probably fastest smokey eye look, after maybelline colour tattoo. Speaking of which, they have a shade "vintage plum" which, at first looks like a dupe for black plum or plum smoke shades. I don't have this product, so, it was just the first impression, when I saw the swatches.

Overall, Black plum and Plum smoke are one of the most beautiful shades for plum/purple colour makeup, but its expensive and works well only with a decent primer.

on 8/12/2012 10:14:00 PM

Beautiful, matte mid-tone purple. Pigmented, long lasting and very easy to blend. You can do a smokey eye or place a little in the crease for a neutral look. The only con is this is very expensive, but it lasts a long time.

on 10/25/2011 10:38:00 AM

I bought this when I read in a magazine that it makes a great liner. Then I kind of forgot about it (despite not being in the habit of buying expensive eyeshadow) b/c at the time, I hardly wore liner but knew I wanted to. Now that I'm actually using it, I get what they were saying! It looks just lovely brushed along my lower lashline - anything darker looks too obvious to me - and it lacks any red undertones which would only emphasize my already pinkish skin. On its own, the shadow can veer a little in the "bruised" territory of purples, but I found that layered over another shadow (I have specifically loved the way it looks over MAC's Vex shadow), it transforms into a beautiful, subtle, wearable, more-eggplant-than-royal, smokey, purple-ish. I do wear primer (UDPP) on my top lid but nothing on my bottom lid and it lasts beyond my normal 8-9 hour work day.

on 4/24/2011 3:58:00 PM

WOW.... This has to be the worst eye shadow I have ever purchased.
Terrible fallout, blotchy color "with primer".Supposed to be matt has gold sparkles. I have drugstore eye shadow that is superior to this. This is going back.

on 1/20/2010 3:15:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

This is a wonderful colour: when used wet as an eyeliner, it looks more of deep burgundy with no discernible red to discourage you from using it. When used dry as an eyeshadow it looks more like a translucent veil of very dark matte purple, very beautiful on my brown eyes. It would also do a very nice smokey eye.
I think it would look great on both green and blue eyes, because it's so dark and does not scream purple at all. A great shadow that I was lucky enough to be given as a gift with a purchase, otherwise I probably never would have picked it.

on 10/12/2008 2:56:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Another home run for brown eyed girls. I use this as a shadow liner, over pencil.
I already had its close cousin, Shu uemura's M860 (Matte dark burgundy). At first I thought I had dupe, but this shadow is a deep plum/purple color without red and the M860 is a true burgundy. Great for a non-traditional smokey eye.

on 9/9/2008 3:02:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

Beautiful shade & great quality. The color is a rich, dark, purple plum; a true deep purple. (Unlike BB's e/s by the same name that is much more black than plum.) The pigmentation is great, application is smooth, easy to blend & nice texture. As another reviewer mentioned, it adds color but subtley which works perfectly for me since I tend to favor neutrals. This looks wonderful with my blue eyes; I've used it as a crease color with a light bronze/gold for something unexpected & it works great as a liner also. Also nice for a purple smoky eye. This is much more flattering to my skintone than BB's black plum e/s (for reference, NC20-25ish, very warm golden tones.)

on 3/5/2008 2:27:00 AM

This stuff is incredible! If you have green eyes like me, Black Plum will make them absolutely POP! What makes this shadow so great is the fact that it is as subtle as it is effective- I really don't like the look of brightly colored shadows so this is a great alternative to the vibrant indigos and violets that are generally recommended for people who want to make their green eyes stand out. This shade is a very dark, warm purple- a gorgeous smokey eggplant. Since it is so richley pigmented and is matte, I'm sure this would also make a great liner w/ a bit of water. Long lasting too! 5 stars for Laura's Black Plum!!!

on 1/21/2008 9:19:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Super
I love the color is kind of dark violet , is very long lasting and not too heavy. Make my brown eyes really amazing. I normally donít like mate colors but this one look gorgeous for smoke eyes.For green eyes this will be the best.

on 11/6/2007 7:11:00 PM

I usually do not buy LM's matte shadows. I don't think they blend as well, and they seem to crease more than her shimmers. The colors also tend to bore me. But Black Plum and Deep Night are both worth purchasing. This is a heavily pigmented black-violet shadow, very soft, and blends beautifully as a liner. I also use Black Plum as a crease color, applied with the Ponytail brush. It gives depth when I am wearing some of her lighter purple shadows, like Lilac and Iris. One of LM's most innovative, unique colors.