December 20, 2014 | 1084 users online

Treatments (Face) - Rationale Skin Refining Serum

rated 3 of 5 on 10/17/2012 9:10:00 AM More reviews by Skinbaby

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This product used to be amazing. Then the manufacturer got greedy. The bottle size shrunk by about 35% while the price went up 40%. On top of that the active ingredient was reduced making the product less affective. This bate and switch tactic is shameful. not worth the price.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/1/2011 9:53:00 PM More reviews by snailmail

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is a very expensive product and will take a lot of getting used to. When I first started using it, I hated it! It comes in a dropper bottle and you only use a tiny amount. It is a serum and you apply it to your entire face including under the eye. It stings for about 2-5 minutes after applying it. This is the first step before applying Retinaldehyde serum.

I was a dedicated user of Clarins and Gatineau products and changed to Rationale on the advice of the doctor who did my botox for the first time in July this year. She informed me that most skincare is useless and you need products with ingredients that are actually going to work.

It was hard getting used to using serums when I was used to using creams and lotions, but the proof is in my skin. The tone is better and my skin is not sensitive anymore.

I took off a mark because of the price, but other than that, I love these products.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2007 10:58:00 AM More reviews by debbism

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I used to have really beautiful maintenance free skin with very few or rare breakouts until the day I got a bad facial at a home cosmetics party which left me with uncontrollable oil and daily breakouts. Nothing was doing anything to control the oil and acne and after a few months of it, with no signs of slowing, I was at my wits end.

A friend of mine, who was returning from Australia, had picked up a handful of Rationale products (a cosmeceutical) while overseas and had me try out just the one product. I used it in the evening - about 4 drops - and by the next morning, when I normally would be wet with oil, I was still oil free. I used a bit more in the morning (4 more drops) and it controlled the oil all day. It worked so well I was gifted the whole bottle and later a few other products.

That was about 6 months ago and I no longer have an oil problem. It has a concentration of 18% AHAs and BHAs which is a bit more than most serums out there - I think I have seen others at about 15% max. It might be too strong for some but for me, it was just the thing since apparently, I need a lot of exfoliating every day to keep the oil and breakouts away.

It does feel a bit tacky after initially using it but it soaks in. If you use too much, it stays sticky so you have to be careful how much you use....I start with 2 drops and go from there depending on how much of my face will be getting the serum - some days, I only use it in the t-zone.

All in all, this is MY holy grail of skin care products. Since its out of Australia, you end up having to email them to arrange for an overseas order. A bit of hassle but truly worth it.