October 24, 2014 | 1779 users online

Cleansers - Origins - Clean Energy Cleansing Oil

rated 5 of 5 on 8/29/2014 8:09:00 PM More reviews by MaggiesMom

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I went to the Origins counter for a free mini facial and the SA chose this as the cleanser. The smell is very pleasant, a light citrus scent. It feels a little lighter than olive oil and doesn't feel heavy on the skin. After applying, you add a little water and rub in a circular motion and it emulsifies a little bit. It rinses cleanly and takes off all my makeup. The fragrance doesn't linger on my face so it is a non-issue for me once I rinse this off. My face feels clean without being dry or tight and I don't feel like I have any oil left on my skin after using this.

I purchased this the day I got the mini facial and have been using it for almost 4 weeks. I haven't broken out or had any other reactions. My T-zone is less oily in the morning than when I was using the MB cleanser and the redness and dryness on my cheeks has lessened. I do still use a serum and moisturizer at night and serum in the morning but my cheeks don't have dry rough patches or flakes anymore.

I will definitely be purchasing this again when I run out.

My issue with the packaging is that you have to purchase the pump separately. I can't imaging trying to pour this onto my hand or a cotton pad so the pump is a necessity for me. It seems that the pump should be standard with the packaging.

For reference: I usually use Mario Badescu Enzyme Cleansing Gel but my skin has gotten very dry on my cheeks and I wanted to find something that wouldn't be quite as drying.I am oily in the T-zone and I tend to react to lots of products, including cleansers. The reactions are typically burning, flushing, flaking skin or break outs.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/31/2014 6:45:00 AM More reviews by proximitythe53rd

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

My new favorite! I wish I'd found it sooner.

I've been through a few cleansing oils over the years. I was a loyal user of the Shu oils for quite some time, but (in older as well as newer formulations) they contain(ed) a number of ingredients which just didn't agree with my sensitive, acne-prone, highly reactive skin. It's an ongoing process, but I've gradually done tons of ingredient-comparisons, and started to work out what ingredients seem to trigger irritation and/or breakouts for *my skin*. This is a personal process. I wish I could tell you this cleansing oil "won't cause acne!!" but it's just not that simple. However, I'm feeling confident enough to say that Origins Clean Energy doesn't cause breakouts *for me*.

This isn't science, it's just experience, but I'll share what I know in case it might help others. Among other things my skin doesn't tend to like ingredients with "palm..." in them, or ingredients with "myris..." in them. It also doesn't seem to like ingredients derrived from coconut. These often seem to be big players in cleansing oils, and I've had some real skin disasters trying to find a good one. (Fancl Mild made me break out like crazy!)

I was optimistic about Clean Energy when I read its ingredients:
Olive Oil, Safflower Seed Oil, Sesame Seed Oil, Sunflower Seed Oil, Grape Seed Oil, PEG-25 Glyceryl Trioleate, Macadamia Seed Oil, Kukui Seed Oil, Sweet Orange Peel Oil, Lavandin Oil, Lemon Peel Oil, Bergamot Fruit Oil, Grapefruit Peel Oil, Cedarwood Bark Oil, Patchouli Oil, Clary Sage Oil, Rosemary Leaf Oil, Geranium Flower Oil, Australian Sandalwood Oil, Sandalwood Bark Oil, Linalool, Limonene, Sorbitan Trioleate, Tocopheryl Acetate

-- Mostly things I can identify and understand easily, and I usually have good responses to natural oils, and usually don't have problems with essential oils.
(PEG-25 Glyceryl Trioleate is an emulsifer)
(Linalool and Limonene occur naturally in essential oils, some people can be allergic)
(Sorbitan Trioleate is a dispersing agent and emulsifier)
(Tocopheryl Acetate is vitamin e acetate, an antioxidant which prolongs shelf life)

On my skin Clean Energy performs well. It is effective in removing makeup and sunscreen, but I don't find it to strip my skin of moisture, provided I follow it up with my usual skincare (and don't let my skin dry after cleansing before moisturizing). In comparison to some other oil cleansers, I find it more important to ensure that it has emulsified fully. So I don't just massage it in and rinse it off - instead I massage it in (gently! always gently!), add a little water massage a bit more, add more water, massage a bit more, rinse, but then massage a little more just to find and emulsify any remaining oil, before removing any residue with a soft, wet cloth. The formula feels like it's softening my skin, and helping to release some clogged pores.

I use an oil-based mascara remover through my lashes and let that sink in for a minute or two before I use my cleansing oil, and in combination these both remove even heavy eye makeup effectively and completely. Depending on how my skin is I may double-cleanse, or I may move on to the next steps in my skincare routine.

I don't know what Origins was thinking with the packaging, though. In my opinion, trying to pour out the right amount of product is a challenge, and somewhat unsanitary - it's easy to 'backwash' oil from your hand back into the bottle while trying to get the right amount. I think I used it all of twice before transferring it into an empty, thoroughly washed-out (and limited edition with cute design!) Shu cleansing oil pump bottle. I see you can buy a pump (2) to fit the Origins bottle, but I feel this is a bizzare packaging solution, especially from a company with an eco-friendly backing image. I'd much rather see them offer a nice, attractive refillable pump bottle, and (cheaper!) refills in recyclable pouch packaging. Especially when we consider that cleansing oil is an everyday staple, it's pretty unnecessarially wasteful to keep purchasing the bottle.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/17/2014 9:05:00 AM More reviews by Zuppaholic

Perfect oil cleanset for my acne prone and combination skin! I like this much much better that shu uemura cleansing oil which makes me breakouts! But not this one! Origins cleansing oil works better on my skin and it really get rid my makeup very well even when i use the heavy makeups on!

rated 3 of 5 on 5/17/2014 5:20:00 AM More reviews by melikai

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is the first liquid cleansing oil I've tried (I've used a few of the more solid balms), and I quite like it. I first off have to say that it smells so so nice, it reminds me of something comforting and like wild flowers. The scent is very subtle though; it is not overly fragranced.

The problem that I have with this is that it dries out my skin a lot! Much more than, for example, the Emma Hardie balm. I'm not sure, but I think it may be the olive oil base, as numerous reviews of the dhc cleansing oil say the same.
For whatever reason, it is too stripping, so I'm afraid it simply won't do.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/18/2014 8:08:00 PM More reviews by kerm33

I swear to god, this is wonderful. I think all the time I will just make my own cleansing oil. but after a week of this, I'm afraid another brand would not give me these results. I use all kinds of things, and still have a major blackhead problem... And i have a line coming up on my 30 yo face right under my eyelids. I mean i have more than one line, but there's this one that makeup creases in and I HATE it. I swear, I think it's fading away. AND, i still am working on my blackheads, but I bought this and Philosophy Hope in a bottle for congested skin, at the same time. And I don't know which, or a combination of the two. That line is fading, and my blackheads seem to not be as bad, and they come out easier.

This isn't a wash to keep in the shower, you just use a little and rub it around for awhile. If I do decide to use it as my morning cleanser, I'll put it on and rub it, then when I shower and bathe, I scrub it off with my clarisonic(mia, I went the cheaper route(It helps with dry skin flakes for me). I LOVE IT!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2014 8:06:00 AM More reviews by sprite26

I love using this oil cleanser, in fact my two favorites would be this one and DHC. They're both very similar products, if you like DHC's Deep Cleansing Oil you'd probably like this too.
Provides and extremely thorough and gentle cleansing. After rinsing I like to follow up with a foaming cleanser. This double-cleansing method has been working very well for me, I feel like my skin has never been cleaner or looked better. Oil cleansing just cleans the pores and loosens up clogs better than anything else IME.
I'm not crazy about the packaging though. It's just a bottle with a twist-off cap. So you either have to pour the product out very carefully or buy a pump that Origins sells separately. For the amount they charge I think the pump should be included.
Also this cleanser has a very slight pine-y scent to it. It doesn't bother me but I'd like it better if that scent wasn't there.
All in all, despite my minor complaints about the packaging and the scent, this is a definite repurchase for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/21/2013 8:02:00 PM More reviews by MrsSana

This is great a cleanser that leaves my skin very clean and bright.
As i don't use make up a lot, I mostly use this to just prepare my skin for putting on Clarins Lotus face treatment oil before going to bed.

It is really good for a facial. I apply this on my face at night and massage for 10 minutes before rinsing of with water. During the face massage, I can feel dead skin cells coming off my skin and skin becoming smoother. Perfect clean canvas for putting on Clarins Lotus Oil which then completely absorbs into the skin.

Will be repurchasing this as long as it suits my sensitive acne prone skin...

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/21/2013 7:12:00 PM More reviews by malinen

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I am not sure of what made me try this cleanser. Sure, I was on the lookout for a cleansing oil, but normally all the extracts and combinations of oils in this would scare me away since I have sensitive and clog prone skin. Somehow I decided to try this and I am happy that I did.

This is my makeup remover. I use 3-4 pumps of oil on dry skin and massage it all over. Most focus is put on my eyes and my t-zone where I tend to get clogged pores if I don't remove my makeup properly. I then add a bit of water, massage for a while and then rinse it of. It removes all visible traces of makeup (including mascara and eyeliner). Super simple. My skin feels clean and calm. Not calmer than before using the oil but calmer than after using other makeup removal methods.

I do follow it with a foaming cleanser to remove the last traces of makeup (if any) and to properly cleanse my skin. The cleanser I currently use is the Nivea Daily Essentials Soothing Cleansing Mousse for dry & sensitive skin. I massage it all over my face and then use my Foreo Luna (a sonic cleansing device) before rinsing it off. I end up with skin that feels clean, smooth and not stripped nor aggravated. The two are a great combo and I think I will stick to this routine for a long time.

In the future I might try to make my own version of this using olive oil, maybe some safflower oil and an emulsifier in order to remove any possible irritants and save some money. It is not super expensive, but a DIY would be a lot cheaper.

Ingredients:

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2013 10:35:00 PM More reviews by CarolinaMidwife

Love.

I'm (mostly) over Origins, since they discontinued Birthday Suit. Jerks. But this stuff is pretty awesome. It smells like a facial and it eats the makeup right off your face. It has a fairly origins-esque fragrance but in a good way, like a spa.

You apply it to a DRY face. I have seen some confusion about this. Then you can add a few drops of water and spread it around (I skip this step) and then rinse. There is no lather and the isn't supposed to be.

I have tried dermalogica and Boscia oil cleansers and I still find this one to be the best. It's thick enough that it doesn't slip between your fingers but not so thick that it's hard to spread around. Make sure you get the pump they sell and then you only need about 1.5 pumps to clean an entire face of make up.

I have monstrously dry skin (thanks to retina micro - worth it) and mild, hormonal rosacea and this works well with both of them.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/31/2013 5:06:00 PM More reviews by kisshippie13

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is the first oil cleanser I have purchased. (I had used samples of DHC in the past and really enjoyed it)
I really like this cleanser!!!

First off, the packaging is a little bulky, but nothing off-putting (hey, it stays in your shower, no big deal). You also have to buy the pump separate, which at 4.00 isn't something super horrible, but still that's extra 2.

the product itself is pretty awesome! Has that typical herbal smell to it, but slightly more citrusy. Also has a plethora of oils in it all of which are awesome for moisturizing and detoxifying the skin.

Texture is somewhat of a thicker oil that is SLIGHTLY more difficult to spread. The only time this is cumbersome is when I am trying to remove my eye makeup.

I use this as a daily cleanser (2x a day) I use about 2-3 pumps depending on if I was wearing makeup. It will remove all of your makeup (you may have to spend a little extra time on water proof/long wearing eye makeup bc it doesn't come off terribly easy)

As for cleansing your skin, it is AMAZING. The first time I used it and rinsed it off my pores on my nose and cheeks looked like I had just used a pore strip and my whole face was SO SO SO SO SO SO smooth. I was shocked. It also rinses off cleanly with no residue which I love.

I have acne prone skin, and this hasn't broken me out yet. ( I have purposefully stopped using my acne treatments just to see if this would aggravate my skin and so far so good!)

The only other products I am using with this are Burt's Bees Sensitive Skin Moisturizer(for daytime) and the Shea Moisture Problem Skin Moisturizer (at night)

So far, I am really loving this cleanser and see no reason to ever switch back to traditional foamy cleansers that are super harsh to skin!