Make Up For Ever Velvet Finish Compact Powder

on 5/21/2015 10:02:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

I'm really in love with this product! I have oily skin and typically use a sheer loose powder to tone down the shine and translucently set my makeup. I am a "no make up/make up" kind of girl and only use primer with a tinted moisturizer. I have been on the hunt for a pressed powder compact that gives the same effect and have tried (and returned) MANY! I have been looking for a similar effect as the Laura Mercier translucent loose. (I have tried her pressed powder version, and not thrilled). Love her loose powder, but its not exactly user friendly on the go (need a kabuki and a mirror -- not easy to whip out on the go).
I was at the Makeup Forever store in NYC getting their Plexi-gloss (also a love of mine) when Charles suggested the Velvet Finish Compact in #4. OMG this is my new go-to product. Love the application with my mini kabuki and even with the powder puff when needing a touch up on the go. The mirror is a half moon, but I'm not turned off by this -- its still user friendly. I've actually been reaching for this in the AM before I leave the house too! I spray one spritz of the Makeup forever mist and fix spray and I'm good to go for at least 4 hours before needing a touch up. That's pretty much a small miracle with my oily skin.

on 10/29/2014 9:04:00 AM

I have this #2. It could be perhaps a little yellower, but since this powder has next to no coverage, it doesn't really matter. I like a touch-up pressed powder that doesn't add any colour. What I like about this product is that it looks invisible on the skin and doesn't cake when reapplied imperative for me as I don't like a heavily made-up look. What I don't like so much is that it doesn't control shine for very long. It's quite expensive 35 euros in Belgium. However still cheaper than the high-end brands I'm normally fond of, like Bobbi Brown, Laura Mercier and Armani. The packaging is very annoying: the puff is in a separate container underneath the powder, and you have to sort of flip it to open it (I've managed to scratch the powder with my fingernail a couple of times trying to do it). Also what's with the half-size mirror? Not useful. Verdict: I may or may not buy this again but I'll give it a "yes" because I have no particular reason not to: it's a very good powder, if only the shine control were a little better it would be 5* in 2* packaging.

on 2/6/2012 3:15:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

This product is better at controlling oil than MUFE Duo Mat. Velvet Finish provides no coverage(i have acne scars), so i wear a foundation under it. I gave it a 3 for package quality because i dont like the puff applicator it comes with. $29 is not so bad, 5$ cheaper than duo mat. All in all, i like this as a matte setting powder or for touch ups and i will be repurchasing.

on 5/5/2011 12:26:00 PM

I found this to be an OK powder. I have combination skin. This powder left my skin nice & soft. It didn't look cakey, or settle into fine lines. I used # 2 Porcelain and it was a close enough shade for for my NC30 skin tone - jut not a perfect match. A little to pink for me. It did a pretty good job of controlling shine. It didn't irritate my skin, make it itchy or cause break outs. I will definitely repurchase, but I just hope to find a better color match.

on 11/21/2007 12:13:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I bought this powder, because I do have pretty oily skin, and some left over scars from I thought it would keep my face matte during the day. I will say that the colors are very limited. Normally, I wear a medium light color, and in this I had to by the very lightest shade. I did get shiny after a few hours wearing it, but I blotted my face, and my make up still looked pretty good. I'm not sure if I will purchase it does last quite awhile, and it does make my skin look even and smooth, but it is pretty pricey.

on 9/17/2007 11:36:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

For reference: I am an NC15 in MAC, pale but with yellow/olive/neutral undertones. I am perfectly matched with 01 ivory which has more yellow/neutral undertones VS the 02 porcelain which is pale but has more pink in it. My perfect match in MUFE mat velvet foundation is #20. mat velvet fndtn #15 matches nc10, mat velvet fndtn# 20 matches nc15, and #25 matches nc20. I hope this helps someone, I am very picky bout my foundation matching perfectly, and the ones I use match perfectly.)
This works much better than mufe duo mat powder foundation at controlling oil! This is a great powder for giving your skin that velvet matte finish like it says. It has horrible coverage power, yet it is enough to tone down mild redness, and does show up as color on the skin vs transclucent. Do not buy this if you want heavy coverage. I use this alone or on top of foundation, and it is amazing, probably the best powder I have ever used for keeping the shine away. I gave it 4 lippies because its awesome for keeping oil down, but took off 1 for the fact it doesnt cover anything. Expensive but well worth it because of its mattifying effect. hardly any product comes off on the sponge, so it lasts forever, but luckily you only need a tiny amount of this to get that long lasting shine free look.

on 9/15/2007 7:25:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

This might have been a great powder but their lightest shade was nothing like it was pictured to be. I hate when make up companies do this. It's disappointing because I have the Make Up Forever Mat + foundation in the lightest shade available (Alabaster) and that is true to it's color. I bought this powder in the lightest shade thinking it would match my skin (reasonable assumption) and it looked like a sheer layer of mud on my skin. I knew it was too dark as soon as I saw it in the pan. I tried it anyway hoping it would translate differently on the skin but it didn't. It was too dark. If they make shades of foundation light enough for fair skin why not have a matching powder? Very frustrating. For reference I am an NC5 or NC15 and both Porcelain and Ivory were way too dark. A powder should not be obvious and it will be if it's darker then your own skin. This may be a fabulous powder but they remind me of Clinique here when they call something porcelain or ivory. In other words this usually translates to demarcation line heaven.