December 19, 2014 | 1511 users online

Hair - Great Lengths Hair Extensions

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/14/2014 2:02:00 PM More reviews by flybaby

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I just finished reading the majority of reviews written here on MUA for these extensions, and felt it would help to add my opinion (and past experience) to the mix.

First off, if you are using this website as a major influence of making a decision as to whether or not to go with Great Lengths, there are some factors to take into consideration.

For every very negative, or extremely glowing review, it helps to click on that reviewer's name, and see some background on them, in order to know how much weight you should take away from their rating.

I noticed that MANY of the most negative reviews were written by members who only had one review posted on MUA. many of these reviewers never returning to visit MUA again.

Obviously there is no way of knowing whether this person was so unhappy with their extensions that they just went wild, posting reviews everywhere on the internet., and their opinion was strictly from a bad experience, OR whether there was more to it, were they affiliated with another hair extensions company etc.

So, even though its probably okay to not totally disregard, should we take what they say to heart? No, not so much as reading a review by a regular reviewer here on MUA.

Honestly, for me, when I'm unsure of what to think of a product review, I click on the reviewer, not only to see what else they have reviewed, and see how closely their opinions align with products I also am familiar with, but I look at photos too. Really, if a person says how much they love (for example) a mascara, and they have photos posted of themselves sporting lashes you wouldn't be caught dead in.... well you get what I mean. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and we also hold diverse standards of what our expectations are for performance and appearance of products.

Getting individual extensions applied is not something to do on a whim. Even if you suddenly decided you really really need them NOW, it is really not wise to act on it until you take time to do research.

Check out the portfolio of the person who are considering using. If you want to use Great Lengths, their website will pull up salons in your area. and you can check out which ones have platinum level (or whatever they call it) to know that extensions are frequently done there.

Even better, go to a salon that exclusively does hair installations.

A BIG part of how good they look has to do with having the added hair blended into your own after they are in place. I cannot stress this enough—otherwise, you're going to end up with a lot of stringy unnatural looking hair.

I really don't think a person can get all of the information they need from reviews on MUA for the extensions, because it is imperative to take into consideration the skill of who installs them. This is such a huge part of how they will look, and whether or not your own hair would be damaged from wearing them.

Once you get extensions, even if the hairdresser doesn't recommend, get yourself a looper brush. The looped bristles won't catch at the top into where the extensions attach to your hair, and you can brush safely. ( I would follow up with my regular brush).

Now, back to these extensions. I had Great Lengths twice. I had a positive experience. But, IMO that is largely due to the skill of the hairdresser who installed them. She was my regular hairdresser anyway, so I already knew and trusted her, and I was lucky that she had talent.

I was able to keep them in for about 4.5 to 5 months. As time passes, and the bonds move farther away from the scalp, it is necessary to go back and have the hairdresser do some maintenance work.

I noticed that the older the bonds became, the actual bonding material becomes more opaque. This stuff starts out clear,and almost invisible, but over time it takes on a milky white cast, and is easier to see.

The quality of Great Lengths hair itself is okay. I agree with another reviewer that it is kind of dull, I don't know that all of this is due to it drying out over time, or whether it starts out less shiny (I can't remember, but do remember that I noticed when the strands were taken out, they were not shiny). The cuticles are aligned, they did not tangle for me.

When I say they didn't tangle, I mean they don't tangle like the cheap hair extensions that either have the cuticles stripped, or are not aligned. Those are just HORRID and seriously would only look good for a couple of weeks at the very most. Actually probably less than weeks, maybe just days. I speak from experience, after buying some on eBay (the micro links) putting them in myself, and then having my hairdresser blend—talk about a tangled impossible to keep smooth mess! I could brush my hair, and an hour have a rats nest again.

I'm finding myself in the market for extensions again. Not for a whole head, just to fill in at the sides while I'm growing out a cut I don't like. I've moved to a different state since having the Great Lengths brand,so I no longer have the hairdresser I used before, and am currently deciding which salon to go to,

Keep in mind that Great Lengths isn't the only optiom out there. It is just one of the most heavily advertised. Other quality extensions include Ultratress, Hairdreams, and others. Find the salon first, see what kind of work they do, rather than going to a salon that possibly has very little experience, but has someone who went through the three day training, and hence is a *qualified*professional for installing Great Lengths.

If you're considering a DIY effort, check out ManeMaxx. I think you'd still need someone to help, and need a professional to blend afterward, but the system is good, and hair quality excellent.

I personally enjoyed having extensions, but they involve maintenance, and come at a hefty price. If you're not sure you're up to the commitment, try clip ins first.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/9/2014 11:08:00 AM More reviews by Melindacrn

Horrible experience . My great lengths extensions have been replaced twice in less than 8 weeks , 1600 dollars later and my hair looks horrible . Beware of anyone who insist you sign a waiver holding them unaccountable should the hair fall out ... Red flag number one ... I would not recommend this product the price and quality do not coincide ...

rated 1 of 5 on 12/4/2014 4:21:00 AM More reviews by lconroy

I am urging anyone PLEASE do not put these in your hair. You will end up with severe damage to whatever hair you have left. I did my homework, research and paid high dollar for GL's. The hair at first seemed pretty. Was it completely natural, no. You could tell it was heavy and dull, but pretty and put in, what I thought professional and nicely cut. She layered it to look natural. Then itching started. My stylist said no worries. Then after a couple of months they started slipping out daily w/ hair attached to them. Sometimes 5-7 a day. They were ratted at the root area. I took care of these by the book too. Special shampoo, braided when I slept and brushed 3 times a day. Here was my girls BS, immediately She knew my hair was falling out and I wasn't putting them back in, so her game, "you look stressed. Are you stressed?". "You know stress causes hair loss" I knew immediately what she was doing... Of course I was stressed my hair was falling out and I paid 2000.00 for it! She had a scam set already to tell woman they're stressed and hey, it's not her fault. When they came out I died. The hair that was left on my head was pathetic. Never in my life did I expect to look like I did. I still am ashamed to be seen in public. It should be criminal for what they are doing. I guarantee you eventually this will catch up with them. There should be a law suit over what these things do to our hair. If anyone reads this and you think for one second you'll get away with it please DONT! It's not worth it. I wish someone warned me. One more thing. Will my hair grow back? Please anyone that went through this please let me know.... I'm so panic stricken that this is permanent.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/29/2013 10:23:00 AM More reviews by Rdmunoz

Had these awful things put in a month ago & boy was I sorry I even started with these! I had to get them taken out the next morning because they were killing my scalp & not to mention the lady who put them in did a terrible job! She didn't even do the back bottom half because it was a little short & it looked like a hair curtain hanging over my head! I was so disappointed too cause I couldn't even wear it up if I wanted to & that's what that's things are supposed to do too, look like your own hair! This woman/hairdresser did a terrible job in the first place & ruined my hair even further when she gave me a free color for having spent all that money that I sinfully wasted in the first place! She turned my own hair orangey when my hair was hair was highlightened blond & brown in the first place! Do yourselves a favor, if you are considering having these things done, check check check the hairdresser's work & credentials & ask to see photos of it! I'm sorry I didn't do that! Also grow out your own hair & don't waste your money, I'm sick over $1,000 I threw away!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/8/2013 9:23:00 PM More reviews by Dvon

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Had Great lengths. Still cringe when I look at the pictures. Went to see Del at Hair Biz Extensions Victoria and never looked back. Way more natural, awesome placement, and they LAST forever. I've now had them for 4 years. Luv!!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/28/2013 2:43:00 AM More reviews by melisnb

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am finding a similar problem with GL extensions as some have already noted. I have been experiencing pieces falling out and assumed that they were slipping. Well to my horror I looked at the last piece that came out to find that the piece did actually rip out my hair at the root. I have no health issues(which they asked me about) and I feel that the weight of the extension is to blame for my hair being literally ripped from the root . I will be going in tomorrow to have them taken out and to asssess the damage and hair loss:(

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 2/9/2013 3:13:00 PM More reviews by tkcutie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Here is my Great Lengths Nightmare - I had surgery back in April 2012 and my hair was thick and curly but starting thinning due to telogen effluvium (shock from the surgery) I was meeting my bf for the first time in Sept - I needed luxurious hair! I went to a stylist who is highly recommended as the best extensions expert in Victoria (where I'm from). She is wonderful and I think the world of her. We did two bags of Great Lengths bonded keratin extensions. I repeatedly asked whether this would damage my thinning weak hair - I was told no. In they went and for about three weeks they looked great (they did tangle and were hard to sleep in) but into the third week they started coming out in my hairbrush and in the shower - taking chunks of my own healthy hair. I was meeting my new guy in two more weeks for our first face to face - I panicked and got another bag of hair put in. I was okay while I was with my guy - when I got home they started falling out again! I was losing 5-8 a day and with my own hair attached! I immediately had the hairdresser take them all out. These extensions were only in for about 2 months and my hair is permanently ruined - it will probably never grow past my shoulders again (it used to be mid-breast length). I am so upset that I've lost my beautiful main. Just recently I started wearing clip-ins - they are wonderful as they clip in and you can take them out and are no more harmful than wearing barrettes in your hair. My only beef is that I can't do certain stuff with them and wanted something more permanent. I am seriously thinking of the "tape-ins" and wonder if anyone has had experience with tape-ins? (btw - I kept a lot if my bonded Great Lengths with my own hair attached as a reminder - Never Again - I often show it to people to dissuade the from making the same mistake I made).

rated 5 of 5 on 2/1/2013 7:22:00 AM More reviews by Bizzybee69

reveiws are useful bit I wouldnt let it put you off or be help you decide to have them done. Everyone's lifestyle and own hair is different so there are going to be good and bad reveiws. Just make sure you research the salonist that is applying them rather than the extensions themself. it will make a whole lot of difference to the way they look, feel and last.
My hair is shoulder length and fine and quite wavy and after researching suitable hair extensions i decided to have GL's Remi extensions put in by a reputable london salon.
Pros of GL's with bonds :
They look and feel very natural.
The bonds are not visible even though we can feel them a little. If maintained properly they last up to 6 months dependant on how fast your own hair grows.
They dont take as long to dry as i thought. Combing through can take more effort but all i do is finger dry mine with warm (not hot) air and finish off my fringe with straightners. I keep mine in a loose side pony tail and in the morning i am ready to go , just finger through and i am ready to go
Cons: Can be expensive and my extensions which i hope will last at least 4 months replace a holiday that only lasts 2 weeks, so a 2 week holiday or 4 months lush hair? hmm its a no brainer.
Ok yes you will get the odd one that will fall out but if the salonist is a good one he/she will split them to make them lighter, thus the strands are thinner and not noticeable at all if they do fall out. I actually dont mind a few falling out, i have so much hair i dont know what to do with it

You have to think of the implications of the effect ANY extensions have on your hair but its the price we pay for vanity and overall its been worth it for me so far.
But realistically remove them after 4 months, wear a human hair pony tail clip in for a few months and then have them redone?
I have had mine in for 2 weeks now and have only lost 1 strand, but that any lost can be due to poor brushing?, I think i accidentally stuck too much conditioner too near the bond instead of just the ends. My salonist did say it was normal to loose 1 or 2 but to bring them in when I have my free maintenance appointment.

useful tips:
Make sure you stock up with anti tap water, buy online too , its much cheaper than the salon.
hold the hair in a side pony tail and brush with the correct brush starting at the bottom and working up the length
I will update again in a months time - good luck everyone

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2013 1:26:00 AM More reviews by Fitness2011

Let me start off by saying... Every single stylist will say they use the best quality of hair and give you several reasons why that all sound realistic. I am upset because I have fell for this about 7 times in several cities. Please do your research! I have had extensions for several years, but never was completely satisfied . I had heard about Great Lengths from a coworker, but was very hesitant because to purchase because of the price. I realized I was spending several hundreds of dollars on extensions I did not love and I would often not even wear them down. I have had ultratress tape,satin strands,micro-links, sew in, clip in and several more.
Being a professional I don't have much time to fix my hair so I wanted a low maintenance extension that will look nice without styling.
Great Lengths by far are the best hair extensions I have ever had. There is no way I will ever use any other brand. It feels silky, last long, is durable and looks far better than you could expect. I can wash my hair and without styling and have amazing beach waves. Instead of wasting money over and over on just average extensions trying to change them up I have actually saved money using Great Lengths. This is the first time I can honestly say I am happy with my hair and thankful the search for great extensions is over.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/27/2012 7:02:00 PM More reviews by 5lover

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I had these extensions fitted by a reputable salon earlier this year. Yes they looked ok but they did need a lot of attention to stop them from looking like hanging strings. I enjoyed having them but after a few weeks, I was horrified to see thinning patches in places. I checked with the salon that said this was ok and my hair was coping fine, stupidly, I allowed myself to be talked into keeping them in. I also noticed short pieces of hair the length of from my scalp to the bond breaking off and falling to the floor when I brushed my hair, when I asked whether these pieces were breakage, I didn't get a straight answer and I don't feel the salon addressed my concerns properly and that these were in fact, signs of damage. I had them removed at just over three months and I was devastated to see the state of my own hair. It was much thinner, despite the salon telling me this was because I was used to the thickness of the extensions, I know my own hair and I know this wasn't the case. I am now desperately trying to repair the damage, I have thin hair now which has lost all its body and thinning areas. It is going to take a long time to help my hair recover. I cared for the extensions by the book and I feel that this method was too hard on my hair and I shouldn't have had them done and I also should have had them removed much earlier. To anyone having these done I would say to proceed with caution, monitor your hair carefully and if you don't have every confidence in your salon, their ability not only to fit these extensions safely and to answer your questions satisfactorily, don't go ahead or go elsewhere. Or grow your own hair, natural long hair looks far better than some ratty looking extensions ever will.

ETA- to call others that have had real problems with these extensions misinformed, to say that they do not understand the process of how hair grows and sheds, do not check their facts and that their experience of this product pulling out their own hair is ''ridiculous'', is really not helpful. I took great care of these extensions and really wanted them to work but instead, they were far more trouble for me than they were worth and months later I am still trying to repair the damage and waiting for my thinning areas to regrow. Let's hear the good and bad but respect each other's opinions and reviews without implying people are careless, don't know how to take care of the extensions or understand how hair grows.