October 24, 2014 | 1771 users online

Shampoo - Jason Natural Cosmetics - Hemp Super Moisturizing Shampoo

rated 1 of 5 on 12/29/2007 12:01:00 PM More reviews by anniika

Jason's is always hit or miss with me, and this shampoo is off by a mile. For my longish, thick, 3a hair it did worse than nothing. I gave it three chances, too -- as a result of which this morning I am stuck at home deep conditioning. Naturally curly hair is hard to keep happy, and I won't lie, my hair was dry to begin with, but this "super moisurizing" shampoo did it no favors. The ingredients look impressive, but it's definitely not equal to the sum of its parts. Stay away if you're looking for a shampoo that will help with coarseness or dryness.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/6/2007 9:00:00 AM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

UPDATE (05/2010): having been through various other (better) shampoos along the way, I may have found an alternative to this, containing some of the same key ingredients. Except it works very much better as a shampoo. Nature's Gate Hemp nourishing shampoo.

[DISCONTINUED]

OK everyday shampoo for the more sensitive, drier type. If you liked the (now defunct?) Jason EFA shampoo, try this as a replacement.

I have a substantial quantity of shortish, wavy, fine hair. Never coloured or otherwise treated. I've been looking for a good shampoo for a while, since I discovered that my favourite one (thus far, and for the last couple of years) was prohibitively expensive here in Ireland. Good - that is: suitable for dry hair and sensitive skin; moisturising; containing soothing and smoothing ingredients; and that did the job of cleaning hair and keeping it soft, smooth, moist, and the things that good hair should be.

From the ingredients listing and product description, this looks like it's a successor to, or replacement for, the Jason EFA shampoo (now THAT was a beauty). Ingredients follow at bottom of review. Note that this does not contain SLS, but does contain Cones, if these are concerns for you. It is fragranced, but rates well on the EWG's beauty product review.

The Hempster is a slightly milky and gel-like consistency, with a decidedly hemp-ish smell - even, indeed, slightly peppery and spicy. Like other Jason shampoos, it does need two latherings - the first a light one, the second a heavier dose, some scalp-massaging, and I then left it on whilst attending to the cleansing of other body parts. It rinsed out well (and the arresting/arrestable smell departed). After blotting hair dry with a towel, I applied my regular conditioner, etc., etc.

This particular hair is happy, shiny, bouncy, and all good things that good hair should be.

CONS: (1) a bottle doesn't last long, and

(2) doesn't clean hair too well in the long run. This can be remedied with weekly use of a deep-cleansing shampoo; in my case, I'm swimming at least a couple of times a week and using Aveda Detoxifier then, so not an issue.

(3) Contains heavier non-water-soluble silicones (cyclomethicone, dimethicone), which I've found weigh my hair down, so I'm avoiding them. Moved on to L'Occitane Angelica and back to Aveda Shampure.

INGREDIENTS:
Dimethicone
Calendula Officinalis (Marigold) Flower Extract*
Panthenol (Vit. B5)
Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract
Tocopheryl Acetate (Vit. E)
Equisetum Arvense (Horsetail) Leaf Extract*
Triticum Vulgare (Hydrolyzed Wheat) Protein
Borago Officinalis (Borage) Seed Oil
Ribes Nigrum (Black Currant) Seed Oil
Retinyl Palmitate (Vit. A)
Citric Acid