July 25, 2014 | 963 users online

Cleansers - Spectro - Spectro Jel Cleanser for Blemish-Prone Skin (Fragrance Free)

rated 2 of 5 on 7/9/2014 1:35:00 AM More reviews by nekkun

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this because it was no frills, no fuss. All the ingredients seem to be non-irritating, so it should've been perfect, right? Wrong. My face felt "tight" after washing which is a sign of a compromised moisture barrier! I also felt like this cleanser contributed to tiny little red spots on my face. I didn't want to have a full-on breakout so I stopped and returned to Pond's cold cream. I still have 95% of this stuff left and I don't know what to do with it!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2014 6:42:00 PM More reviews by darthvaderette

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is absolutely an HG product for me and as long as they keep making this, I will keep on buying it.

I have acne-prone skin that only worsened when I hit my mid twenties. I would wake up routinely to new cysts on my chin and jawline and no product under the sun seemed to be working. I tried expensive cleansers, cheap cleansers, oil cleansing, not cleansing. My bathroom cabinet was full of various spot treatments, many of them barely used, lonely and collecting dust. I tried keeping my hair off my face, washing my pillows, praying to every known and unknown deity. Nada.

Finally, when I was about to resign myself to my fate of horrible adult acne, my dear friend recommended Spectro Jel. A bit hesitant at first that something seemingly so simple could be so effective, I bought a small bottle at SDM and though at first my expectations were very, very low, I was pleasantly surprised by my results. Within 2 weeks of morning and evening use, my skin was slowly beginning to clear up. The breakouts slowed and eventually stopped (barring the odd pimple here and there when Aunt Flo shows up), leaving me with beautiful and clean (but not stripped, which I have learned is very important!) skin.

This stuff works. The packaging not fancy or pretty. In fact it's pretty basic and utilitarian looking. But it's no-nonsense and the large pump bottle is very economical. Don't expect this to remove your make-up, because it won't. You will need to invest in a good make-up remover to do all the pre-work. I personally use Jojoba oil before the Spectro Jel and this regimen has served me well. The product itself is a non-foaming gel - slightly slimy and has a weird smell, but it feels so smooth and refreshing once you massage it into your skin. The instructions state that you can use this on dry or damp skin and I prefer to use it with damp skin as I find it glides easier, but others may feel differently. Also, I can't stress this enough, but follow the directions that tell you to massage the product for a full 30 seconds - it really does make a difference in lifting the dirt and grime from your face and leaving your skin clean. And it is just the right kind of clean - the skin feels fresh and dewy and yet not tight, or stripped. I have found that I need less moisturizer since this maintains my skin's natural moisture.

Overall, this is a great product, it has served me and my skin well and I can't recommend it enough to those suffering from similar issues. I have really found that simplifying my cleansing routine by using this simple product has massively improved my skin and ultimately the quality of my life.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2014 2:35:00 AM More reviews by bbbrittany

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is the ONLY cleanser that doesn't leave my face feeling tight and parched, as most anti acne cleansers are wont to do. It also effectively cleans my skin, so I'm not oily or shiny.
You see, I have the ULTIMATE in combination skin (eczema patches and acne prone in my t-zone) and after about ten years of trying various cleansers that claim to be gentle and non-irritating, I have found my HG cleanser. One that actually feels soothing on my eczema.

My favorite part is the texture; it's like moisturizer. It helps to glide your hands over any acne or irritated skin, lessening any further irritation. It's also fragrance free (really! unlike some other brands that make similar, but false, claims--I'm looking at you Clinique!). It also contains absolutely no foaming ingredients, which feels really weird the first few times, but your skin will thank you for it!

It also works really well with the clarisonic. It provides a nice slippery surface for the brush to get to work.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/7/2014 11:11:00 PM More reviews by SofiaGroter

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The amount of face wash you get for the price is pretty good, and it has a really convenient pump, so three stars for packaging and price. The product itself is what I had a problem with. My doctor told me to start using spectro a couple weeks ago spectro so I found this in my cabinet. I washed my face with it and I swear the next morning my face was red as a tomato and incredibly dry and flaky, it almost felt like a sunburn. I for some reason thought it was my moisturizer or the fact that it was old. So I went to the store and picked up the combination one, my skin went back to normal and cleared up a little. It's been three weeks and I just got a new bottle of this and instantly the exact same thing. My skin isn't even sensitive and the worst part is it hasn't helped clear up my skin at all. I'd give the product no stars if I could. I would never EVER suggest this to anyone unless they had incredibly oily skin, and even then I doubt it'll really do much good.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/27/2014 11:37:00 PM More reviews by Angelseleena

I use to use the Effaclar moose cleanser by La Roche Posay & you'd think that at 30 something dollars a pop it would work wonders... But for me it didn't. The formulation was way too harsh on my skin and though it effectively cleansed my face of makeup, my face felt tight and moisture was completely stripped. I'm not saying it's a horrible cleanser, but for sensitive dry skin it didn't work. So I switched to Spectro Jel. And honestly, I used this years ago and still it remains my favourite. It leaves my skin clean AND soft. I have no issues taking off my makeup. The Jel isn't harsh at all and there's no added frangrance(which can cause breakouts). My skin is clear, soft and subtle. I love this stuff! I use it every morning with Aveeno Positively Radian daily moisturizer with SPF 15 & at night with Aveeno Positively Radiant Night Cream & my skin has never felt or looked better. :)

rated 3 of 5 on 4/21/2014 6:35:00 AM More reviews by ScarletteLawson

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This doesn't work for my face (broke me out somehow-weird because it is so simple). Also use this in the shower for my chest and back and it makes me feel clean, but doesn't help with any body acne- but I don't think that's what it does anyway. I probably wouldn't get this again because it is ineffective for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2014 2:53:00 AM More reviews by Gia_milano

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love this face wash. Its very gentle and effective. I use it in the morning at night after removing my makeup with Mac cleanse off oil.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/12/2014 5:23:00 PM More reviews by klkehler

I dont usually write reviews, however this product is worth a review. I have had trouble with acne since my early 20s(now in my 30s) and have been searching for a product that works, that is cost efficient and gentle on the skin. as many other reviews state you do have to give this product a few weeks to a month to really work. it has been just over a month now, and I love it. my breakouts have gone from constant to just a blemish here and there. it smells kind of odd, like glue, but it really does work. I use this as well as the spectro facial moisturizer for blemish prone skin. I would recommend this product and will buy it again. the price is great and the pump on the large size bottle is convenient to keep in the shower.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/4/2014 8:56:00 PM More reviews by mandagangsta20

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

THIS SAVED MY SKIN!!!! So, I was looking at this for while, but never got around to buying it because it was so expensive! It was like 11 to 15 dollars! I bought it just after I ran out of my other cleanser. Well, technically, my mom bought it. But anyway, I was washing my face and I was a little confused with the pump cuz it locks easily. its a good idea to lock it after you use it because if you press the top even gently it will spew out like Smaugs fire all across the bathroom! The consistency was really surprising because I thought it was gonna foam up, but its literally like washing your face with gel. It didn't bug me because it didn't feel like it was stripping my skin! My skin was so bad! Not nearly acne, but on the brink of it. It was a slooooow process; it took almost a month until my skin started to show a difference. Now I only get, like, 2 to 4 pimples every once in a while but they clear up fast! I was so worried I was going to use Proactiv!! AAAAHHH!! This stuff is amazing! Just a reminder to people: don't give up on this cleanser if it takes a while to work or if you keep breaking out after using this! Cleansers wont prevent you from getting pimples ever again. It just removes impurities and cleans your skin. When you stop getting pimples is when YOUR SKIN ITSELF stops making them. Definitely recommend this for blemish prone skin!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/4/2014 8:10:00 PM More reviews by danapark

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I've been using this and the HydraCare blemish prone skin moisturizer for about 5 months and it only helped with the little pimples, but instead I got the big, hard pimples that take forever to go away. Also, after using the cleanser my cheeks were really dry and tight so I had to use a lot of the moisturizer on my cheeks.