October 2, 2014 | 1499 users online

Eyes - Roux - Lash & Brow Tint

rated 4 of 5 on 6/21/2014 12:59:00 AM More reviews by barbara43

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have been using Roux Lash/Brow Kit from Sally's Beauty Supply for a couple years now to cover my gray hairs in my eyebrows. The box kit was a bit pricey but it is well worth the price because the kit will last forever, you will get your moneys worth out of the cost. I occasionally use it on my eyelashes and it turns out nice as well, extra dark lashes usually last 2 weeks. It would be perfect thing to do before going on vacation.

There are 3 bottles inside the box: solution 1 which you apply to brows or lashes for 3 minutes, solution 2 which you apply on top of solution 1 and leave on for a minute, next you simply wash the brows/lashes like your washing your face, pat dry. Sometimes, I will take a shower to wash off the solution off.

It can stain your skin so take precaution. I would advise not doing this before an important event, wait a day or two so you don't need to explain the stain on your skin or the groucho marx brows. I would say that is the only con of this product for me at least.
The brows can come out a bit darker than I like, but with a day or two of showers, the color
fades out nicely and looks completely natural, keeps the stray grays hidden nicely

Tip: I take sharpie pen and label the bottle tops with 3 mins or 1 mins to distiniush between
the bottles and make my own notes of instruction on index card. The print on the instructions that come with the box are extremely small and difficult to read, not to mention extremely long details, so this makes it easier

rated 4 of 5 on 2/27/2013 7:47:00 PM More reviews by jordannh

I have long, fairly dark lashes already, but the roots and ends are light, so I thought dying them dark black would give more pop overall.

The effect is subtle... I don't think anyone would notice but me. It makes my eyes look just a bit more lined, which is nice. I'll probably do this every once in a while, but it doesn't make a big enough difference for me to do it all the time.

Having read a bunch of reviews, I was very careful during application. It turned out to be very easy, in my opinion.

I used a qtip and a magnifying mirror. I had no problems with the liquid running. I found it easy to stay on my lashes and never got any in my eyes. I got one small dot one the skin under my eye when I was doing my bottom lashes, but it's no big deal, not really noticeable.

The packaging is okay.. reviews below talk about blister packs, which would have been horrible, but apparently they've changed the packaging since then and it now comes in little bottles.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2012 7:48:00 PM More reviews by malco

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I bought this a while back and just started using on my eyelashes, I use the color black. What I do is use Q tips and my big mirror, so I get every lash. It definetly darkens them. I like it because I don't always want to throw on mascara, and my bottom lashes really stand out just by using this product, and I normally don't wear mascara on the bottom lashes. I do it @ every 2 weeks. No irratation or problems. Will always keep this on hand.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/22/2012 12:09:00 AM More reviews by TheeOriginalBooBooKatie

Not going to lie! It took me a few tries to get this down to a science. Hereís my method: use a Q-tip to outline around your eyebrows with a thin layer of Vaseline (you are dying your brows, not your face). Using a clean Q-tip, dip one end into the bottle labeled ď#1Ē (easy enough) and apply to your eyebrows (try not to smear the Vaseline. Let that dry about 30 seconds before dipping the other end of the Q-tip into the bottle labeled (#2, this is the dye). You might want to squeeze out the excess fluid by rolling the Q-tip around the mouth of the bottle before applying because, again, you donít want to dye your face. Carefully apply the dye to your brows and let it dry for 30seconds to one minute. Then I prefer to use a moistened cotton pad to gently dab (or wipe!) away the excess dye as well as the Vaseline. If things got messy, use the #3 bottle (dye remover) but otherwise, the Vaseline should have kept things in check. The box states that the color lasts up to 6 weeks but I re-apply it every 7-10 days. I suppose it might last longer if I let the dye sit longer than one minute but I donít want it to look like I colored in my eyebrows wit a black Sharpie. Oh, and for the record, I do NOT use this stuff on my eyelashes! If you have longer lashes, you might give it a go but no matter how I tried it, I couldnít keep the dye from stinging my eyes. Iíll just stick with mascara, thanks. Happy tinting!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/12/2011 11:14:00 PM More reviews by fionarocks

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm appalled that my level of vanity has reached the point where I decide having pretty eyelashes is more important than the risk of doing serious damage to my eyes, but, thankfully, this product is pretty user-friendly if you follow the tips listed by other helpful MUA reviewers. It might warrant applying twice, to get a full effect. Still, it looks really good and is simple (and much less time consuming and expensive than trekking to the Red Door); Worth the investment, since I hate using mascara. My lashes look naturally dark and glossy.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 4/7/2011 3:00:00 AM More reviews by tiffspencer

First time trying this product, and i must say, I will NEVER purchase again. The applicators supplied don't work well; the colour stains skin bad and is difficult to get off. Colour faded within a week. When colour started to fade, it left a reddish hue on eyebrow hairs (I naturally have very blonde eyebrows). All in all, i would not reccommend this product. I have tried Swiss o'par, and am happy with the results in comparison.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2011 6:33:00 PM More reviews by jillirific

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I am really pleased with this product. I have white, white, white blonde eyebrows (and lashes) and always have to fill them in to look human, as well as wearing mascara. I had my brows tinted at a salon once before and was so pleased with the results that I knew I had to get a kit to do myself. I bought this kit at Sally's (in Brown) for around $40 which is about the cost of two salon visits, but there's up to 40 applications in the bottles so this is a great deal. It comes with two bottles of tint (1 and 2, applied separately), a bottle of stain remover in case you get the dye on your skin, shields for lash tinting, and a bunch of toothpicks ("applicators").

This is a lash dye too, but I will not be tinting my lashes with this. I have had them done before with more organic/natural dyes and it hurt like hell when it got in my eyes, so I don't even want to risk it with these chemicals (plus it looks like it would be pretty hard to do yourself.)

The instructions were clear and simple, as was the process. I diluted the solution as directed because I am fair skinned with red hair so I do not need a dark brown tint. I think I over-diluted it at first because the results were not that noticeable, so I repeated the process with a slightly less diluted solution. Worked great! I did not need to use the remover. I really like the brown colour - it's quite warm, unlike the last tint I had done, so it suits my red hair very well. I don't know how long the tint will last since I just did it, but even if it lasts a month or a little less, it will be worth it. Filling in my eyebrows is one of the longest steps of my routine so not having to do it is a huge time saver. I can also leave the house with nothing but mascara - ideal for early classes! Having eyebrows has really changed my life in a way.

This product lost one lipstick just because I think they could have provided a little bit more in the kit, such as something to mix the solutions in (glass or otherwise, maybe something like a contact lens case) and they could have included cheap plastic eyedroppers or the bottles could have had dropper spouts or built-in droppers, like cuticle oil. It also would've been nice if they provided actual applicators so you didn't have to make your own by wrapping cotton around a toothpick. It would make it a lot more at-home user friendly (though I guess it's meant "for professionals only.") Overall though, this is a good product that does the trick! Great value and great results; easy to use, too!

rated 3 of 5 on 1/8/2011 10:52:00 PM More reviews by pearl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This will not replace your mascara! It does work, my lashes are indeed darker, but after doing this I realized it makes so little difference that I'd rather just stick with mascara.

I applied it at home by myself. I used a concealer brush for #1 and a qtip (for lack of having anything else) for #2. The concealer brush worked well but seemed to hold and apply too much liquid. The qtip worked fine; one of those angled ones would have been better. I got some of each in my eye and it STUNG but goes away.

It does what it says but personally I want darker thicker longer lashes; 1 out of 3 isn't enough for me.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/5/2010 8:45:00 PM More reviews by brigidbrigid

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I'm very pleased with this. I absolutely love having darker brows and lashes -- my brows are way more defined and pretty, and when I do use mascara, I use half as much (which means no clumping or eye irritation). I haven't tried other tints, because this one suits my needs just fine, and from my research, it's one of the only tints that's really safe for at-home use.

Other reviewers have given some good tips for application. My advice is to be cautious with the product until you're comfortable with it. I keep the tint on for 10-15 minutes, but it took some trial and error before I got the hang of application. I use disposable mascara wands from Sally's, which has given me great results and makes the whole thing a lot easier than when I used cotton swabs. Just keep the stain remover nearby and take your time when you're starting out with it.

The packaging sucks. I knocked over one of the bottles and ended up cross-contaminating the tint, so I had to pay for a new box. I'm more careful now, and I expect this box will last at least a year. So, as long as I don't ruin this one, the price is actually pretty fabulous at $35/year (compared to $20/pop for professional tinting).

rated 5 of 5 on 9/22/2010 2:59:00 PM More reviews by allisonms

Roux lash and brow tint is an excellent product if you have realistic expectations.

It is a very liquid tinting product. It will stain skin. The "remover" is bleach. Yes, it will irritate if you get it by your eye. Try very hard to avoid mistakes. Don't do this in a hurry. Take your time and tint them several times if it doesn't work out the first time. You will get better at it. You do not want to get this solution in your eyes.

If you have super sensitive eyes that water easily, perhaps this is not for you.

If you do not have a steady hand or eye, do not attempt to apply this product. Have it done in a salon you trust with an experienced technician.

I do it myself with excellent results. I find it very easy to apply. It's been around since I was in my teens.

It does not thicken or lengthen your lashes, it merely puts color on the lashes. You end up with a slight color framing of the eye. For me, given my coloring, that's significant. It's NOT enough definition for when you wear eyemakeup and if you use foundation, it will slightly color over the lashes and reduce the effect. But, when I wake up, I have eyes and when I don't wear makeup, I look a bit more awake and finished.

I am blonde and fair, my lashes are a very light ash blonde, at 50, they are thinner than they used to be. I have a rabbit eye look, so I use the black for my lashes.

I pre-trim the eyeguards for a good fit up to my lash and put the vaseline only on them. If I use vaseline on my top lid skin, I do so sparingly, because even a small amount will prohibit color transfer on the lash. I put a bit on the cotton swab and take my finger to smooth it out, then apply it to my lid.

I also very lightly apply a super thin coat of vaseline to my fingertips and rub in it so I do not stain my fingertips should the solution run down the q-tip shaft, and sometimes, it does.

When you apply solution #1, if you get some on the skin of the lid or under the lashes, immediately take a clean Q-tip and remove all the excess liquid. If you do not, even if it feels dry, the #2 solution will take and stain your lid where solution #1 was.

I use separate -tips to apply the solutions each time and do not re-dip into the bottles.

Do one eye at a time.

Afterwards, I rinse my eyes with lots of water and a mild foaming facial cleanser.

I love the results. The first time you use it, do it on a Fri. night in case you get a bit on you so it can fade.

As for brows, unless you are very good, I find it too easy to make a mistake and look like groucho...I also find the brown is too dark for my brows, so I use Just for Men beard dye. It's a gel and it is so easy to use. You do not want to leave it on as long as they state, but it's great for covering gray brows or light brows and there is more of a color choice over black or brown. You CANNOT and should not use this on your lashes, however.

Back to Roux lash and brow tint, for the purpose I use it, I have no negatives to share on the product. It performs.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No