July 24, 2014 | 1296 users online

Mascara - Dr. Hauschka - VOLUME mascara!

rated 2 of 5 on 12/21/2013 6:20:00 PM More reviews by bluriooo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I don't know what it is but my skin hates one of the ingredients in it! It just stings my eyes like hell (and I don't have sensitive eyes). However I paid a lot for it so I don't want to give up so soon lol. I'm just using it for the tip of my lashes sometimes and it gives a very dense black color which I love. But at the end of the day I have that panda look and it doesn't come off easily as a bonus! I mean it does come off from my eyelashes but not from my skin (which I find very strange because even my regular waterproof mascara was coming off with some olive oil.) I love this brand for their concealer, powder, blush etc but for mascara I'm not ready to go all natural I guess.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/10/2013 7:58:00 PM More reviews by serae

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have very sensitive eyes (everything seems to make me itch) and I have light brown eyelashes. When I am looking for a mascara I am looking for a few things: darker lashes and a natural appearance. I don't want my mascara to look like mascara.

I choose the volume because I thought I wanted more volume. I don't find this gives much volume. I find that the illusion of volume is easier for me to achieve by adding eyeliner to my lash lines.

This adds color to my lashes, which are very fair at the ends. With color on the entire hair shaft...my eyelashes look as long as they actually are! This mascara seems to be more liquid and have a smoother texture than other mascara I have tried (Tarte, Benefit, Too Faced, Shisheido...). I really love this aspect. Most importantly...no itching or irritation.

My eyelashes looked darker, longer and completely natural while wearing this. I have had better applicators before but I like this formula best out of all the mascara I have tried.

***However, be warned that simply adding this mascara will not give you a more natural look. When I apply mascara I remove excess product on the opening of the tube. I lightly coat my eyelashes. Quickly, I use either an eyebrow brush or heavily threaded, clean mascara applicator to brush my eyelashes. This separates the eyelashes (making them appear like they spread out more and removing eyelashes sticking together) as well as removed any little tiny clump balls that may fall onto your cheeks as your day/evening goes on.

This is not a 5 for me because I do have to put work into the look of my lashes. There was limited volume and the applicator could, perhaps, be improved. However, this is still my number one mascara to date.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/13/2013 5:58:00 PM More reviews by blythegraves

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

LOVE! "HG" status mascara. I have the 2013 limited edition volume mascara (different brush, same formula). Results are better than Benefit's "They're Real" and Buxom "Lash" (2 of the best conventional dept. store mascaras). The ingredients are pure and nourishing; smells like roses. Holds a curl, lightweight, flake-free. One con: Tends to smudge a bit at the end of the day, but it doesn't bother me too much. One application provides instant results; great for daytime simplicity and nighttime drama. High price justifies the amazing results and ingredients. Will definitely repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/6/2013 4:10:00 PM More reviews by poshmels

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is one of my must-haves in my daily beauty ritual. I naturally have long lashes but knowing what disgusting ingredients are in low-priced mascara (shoe polish! yes! shoe polish!) I am happy that I found this mascara to nourish my lashes all week.
The trick is to put one layer, then apply on the other eye, then go back for a second layer - voila! Beautiful thick lashes!
It is made out of natural ingredients, so don't expect it to withstand rain or very hot muggy weather - but beats putting shoe polish on my lashes! Plus, since it's so easy to wash off - you don't need to use harsh eye makeup removers and you won't wake-up with raccoon eyes in the morning. It's a bit pricey, but worth it!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/7/2013 3:25:00 PM More reviews by LovelyNo5

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This didn't work for me, unfortunately. I try to keep all my makeup natural and the only thing I hadn't found so far was a natural mascara (I use Clinique Lash Power and love it). So I bought this mascara from Dr. Hauschka in the hope to at least have an alternative to Clinique on days when weather wouldn't be an issue, since this isn't waterproof. Well, I was sadly very disappointed by its performance. Being used to Clinique Lash Power's small and convenient brush, the brush of this mascara was huge and difficult to use without getting most of the mascara on my lids instead of my lashes. I had to put on three coats before it showed up. It did stay on and I didn't notice any smudging. But the worst of it all was that I'm obviously allergic to some ingredient(s) in it. After one day's use my eyes were red, and after two days my eyes were redder, swollen and itchy. That's it for me. This goes in the bin.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/14/2013 1:28:00 PM More reviews by starnet

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I started using this mascara when I noticed that my previously beautiful lashes had become thin and almost invisible. I didn't want to damage them further with harsh chemicals from other mascaras, which may or may not have caused or contributed to my lashes' demise. I wear this daily. It has a rose scent, witch I personally like. It looks beautiful on.
I've noticed that it does smudge, so watch out for that.
The mascara is pretty expensive, but it lasts a very long time.
This is the only natural mascara I've used, so I can't compare it to others. But I do like it a lot.
Edit: I've been noticing some dark smudges underneath my eyes. I think it might have been from the mascara because of the more tendency to sweat in the summer, and thus more possibility for it to smudge. So I'm not using it right now in the summer months.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/27/2012 2:59:00 PM More reviews by ohcarolina

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

On a daily basis I use the other mascara not the volume one as this one is thicker. However, if I am going out you you'd hardly notice you have mascara on because its unnoticeable so you have to use this one. This one will cover well and yes you can see you are wearing mascara. It's a bit clumpy. I often find myself picking at my eyelashes. However, it's difficult to fault because I won't use synthetic chemical mascaras anymore and I hate the smell. So yes it's expensive but knowing it's as natural as you're going to get pleases me. It's not easy to get off though. The other one I don't even bother washing off at night it just wears off! But I love natural. No allergens, no irritation, no smell, no chemicals I will always use Dr Hauschka mascaras and makeup.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/22/2012 2:30:00 PM More reviews by camilka

This is a good mascara except for the fact that you look like a panda after a few hours, especially in humid weather.

Otherwise it looks natural and easy to wash off. Does not irritate eyes and is nature friendly.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/29/2012 7:45:00 PM More reviews by jedi_girl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been testing a few 'natural mascaras' to find my ideal one and so far the whole endeavour has been a bust. Dr Hauschka's Volume Mascara falls flat as well. Thank goodness though because its horribly expensive and I'm glad I don't have to spend this type of money on a mascara going forward. Phew!

To begin it is important to share a few things about my lashes and my product experience so that you can take away from this review useful information for yourself:
1)my lashes are black and long and I have lots of them, but they are thin. So what I want is just volume or thickening.
2) Most mascaras smudge on me as I have extremely oily eye lids. This includes high end department store mascaras. As a result I only put mascara on my top lid, I don't even bother with the lower lash line (unless I get a water proof forumula).
3) My favourite non-natural mascara so far is Maybelline Full & Soft because it is so dependable. i.e. It does not smudge or flake and gives me a soft volume. Nothing crazy dramatic, just lush volume.
4) Previously tested natural mascara's are: Gabriel and Lavera (please see my mascara reviews).

Now on to the review of this mascara:
-This mascara can help thicken your lashes but its not easy to work with. As you start to apply you will see the product adhering, however as you apply more product and try to get more thickness the lashes end up clumping together and forming into little twigs! ugh!
-The bristles on the brush are too far apart and my lashes gather into the grooves/spaces between the bristles. As they do this they pick up lots of product and then stick together and form the little twigs I mention.
-If I can immediately comb through the lashes after using the brush, then I can separate them but there is so much product on them already that they kinda stick back together again. I'll try again a few times and try to wipe off product from the brush before I use it, but this is becoming alot of work for my morning routine.
-This mascara doesn't seem to flake and I did not perceive any noticeable smudging (which my oily eyelids are prone to) but a little wetness and well, that's all she wrote folks! A few snow flakes on my lashes and I had racoon eyes! On this note however, this mascara is very easy to remove using even an all natural makeup remover. It comes off nicely.
-Yes there is a noticeable scent to the mascara but I do not find it offensive or irritating

Overall I find this mascara the most 'volumizing' of the natural mascara's but:
-the brush design is prone to clumping my lashes resulting in a horrible twig like effect (some of you call it the spider leg effect)
-the formula runs very easily with a little wetness/water on the eyes
-the price is absolutely insane, $40 CAD. I am embarrassed to even share that I bought a tube (even though I am returning it promptly!)

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 9/18/2011 10:44:00 PM More reviews by Manue

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I received this product in Black as a gift after I purchased some items from Saffron Rouge. For a natural mascara it is ok in my opinion. It is lengthening, making the lashes fuller and black. It stays on reasonably long without smearing if you don't touch your lashes, but you definitely have to avoid water. You need to reapply at the end of the day.
I will have to try some of the other natural mascaras to compare...
Update- I like Earth's Beaty Mascara in brown better!