July 29, 2014 | 1247 users online

Polishes - OPI - An Affair in Red Square

rated 4 of 5 on 3/23/2014 10:15:00 AM More reviews by PattyTheK

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

With my pale complexion, this color is just too much. It's a beautiful shade, but on my skin it's over the top for everyday wear. The depth and finish end up clashing with my skin tone. The only time I pull this bottle out is around the holidays, when it seems appropriate. So why the four stars? I am not faulting a product just because the color is wrong for me. The application and consistency of the formula is, as always, excellent. I love my red polishes and a lot of them look great, but if something doesn't work on me, it doesn't work on me. Doesn't mean it won't work on others.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/3/2014 2:23:00 PM More reviews by athenasius

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

THIS is what I hoped for in INRAW! THIS is my holy grail red! It blows all my other favourite reds out of the water with it's fiery true red shimmery goodness. I don't care anymore if I'm Not Really A Waitress or A Oui Bit of Red or Friar Friar Pants On Fire get discontinued. I could happily toss them today because all I want to wear is this stunning red polish.

Like all shimmers it is a little bit less apt to chip than say a red cream but as always with a darker colour it pays to do a little prep ahead and make sure you use a good base and top coat. Wear time--usual OPI. Translated that means better than most, but still chips by the third day.

This goes on opaque and cherry with the first coat. You see the orange red shimmers right away, so there is a nice mix of cool cherry pink red and fiery orange red that will complement any complexion. The second coat darkens into a warm almost wine depth of red again, a good but strange mix of cool and warm tones.

ANYONE will look great in this stunning red polish. Highly recommend this. I don't want to bother with any other red from now on!

I'm going to buy another 2 bottles right away for insurance purposes because if they discontinue this I will not be a happy camper I can tell you!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/1/2014 7:20:00 PM More reviews by theiriina

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

My all time favourite nail polish from OPI! It is the first and only nail polish I have totally used up!

An Affair in Red Square is a gorgeous classic red with metallic/silky-looking finish. It is not too blue not orange - just the classic, neutral red. Application is flawless, you can get away with one coat (since it is a very opaque shade) but I always paint two :) Lasting power is great also. I always use top coat so I can't comment on the lasting power when worn without top coat.

Sadly, it has been discontinued but I managed to find it on Ebay for $5,99 and immediately purchased few bottles for the future! There is also quite a close dupe for this which has the same metallic finish but it has a bit warmer base than AAIRQ - it's OPI Danke-Shiny Red.

Would I buy this again? Yes, definitely!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2014 9:45:00 AM More reviews by Cindi33

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

The Perfect Red. That is what this should be called. Oh how I love this beauty! I saw swatches of this a while back on someone's nail blog and fell hard. This polish was released for fall 2007 as part of the Russian collection. Since this was limited edition and no longer in producttion, I found this on Amazon and it was a great price too, so I was excited to get this in the mail last week. I wore this gorgeous red for Valentine's Day and it was perfect! The polish applies beautifully and glides on smoothly and evenly. It was a bit thin on the first coat but the second coat gave this a richess and depth and was all I needed for the perfect look. I rarely wear red polish as I have fair skin and most red colors don't look good on my skintone. This was a perfect red for me. This is a warm golden red polish that looks like Christmas ribbon when it dries. This has a metalic foil finish and is soooo pretty. I kept staring at my nails. This does show some brushstrokes, but not bad, and is very workable and does not pool, flood the cuticles, or drag/bald with application. I love this beautiful red polish! It did stain my nails slightly when I removed it but it wasn't bad and it didn't turn my cuticles all red either. This is the most beautiful color when you get it on. Even though I just removed my Valentine's Day mani, I am tempted to repaint with the same color. I love this polish so much. It looks fabulous on me. It's the perfect shade of red and has just the right shimmer. Thank goodness for on line ordering and mail in my in box! I had no trouble finding this for sale.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/9/2013 8:12:00 AM More reviews by tabloid

I can't believe I never got around to writing a review of An Affair in Red Square, since I've owned it - and loved it - for several years. As other reviewers have said, it's the most gorgeous shade of red ever, an absolute must-have. I have gotten more compliments on this polish than any other.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/22/2013 9:19:00 PM More reviews by debessentials

Although there are other reds I prefer (my first ever polish purchase was Moscow Red), this color is a beauty. Could be a 1 coater depending on application. Shiny, saturated, almost foil like finish. It reminds me of a Christmas ornament, but would also look beautiful on summer kissed skin. I put this one in my "keeper" pile. I don't keep polish on long enough to comment on wear. As an added bonus, throw a matte top coat over it. It almost glows, even in low light. I think I like it better with the matte top coat.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/9/2013 1:24:00 AM More reviews by akanamay

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Absolutely lovely colour! Personally I tend to prefer cooler reds against my skin tone, but the shine this one has more than makes up for it. A very empowering shade, when I wear it I feel like I could do anything. got this one at a salon the first time as a try and I definitely recommend it.

The polish has a very smooth finish and only two coats were needed to get a rich and lovely colour.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2013 11:45:00 AM More reviews by curlycolor

Believe all the hype about this polish; it's well-deserved. It is truly the caviar of reds, the ultimate red.

And I know red polishes. I came of age during the '80s, when color choices were limited to pinks or reds....that's probably why we all went so nuts over the iconic fuchsia shade of that decade, it was something different.

An Affair In Red Square is the most gorgeous, saturated, intense, gleaming red I've ever worn. Two coats is all you need. I topped it with Sally Hansen Super Shine top coat, and so far it's been four days with not a single chip nor even tip wear. And I do a lot of cleaning and washing dishes. So the wear is impressive.

I've done reviews on other beautiful reds, like China Glaze Red Pearl and Essie Scarlett O'Hara, but An Affair In Red Square beats them. Last night I almost let a pot boil over onto the stove because I was standing there staring at my nails.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2013 7:18:00 PM More reviews by sprite26

There are a million red polishes out there, but this one is a must-have. I can't believe I waited so long to try this one! I love red polishes, I own a bunch of them, and I am picky about them. An Affair in Red Square is SO BEAUTIFUL. I'd describe the shade as a bright crimson foil. Super-glowy and shiny, very sexy and feminine. I have other metallic, Christmas-y reds in my collection and yet this one is superior. The reviewer below described this as "the Cadillac of nail polishes"- lol! I can see why someone would say that! Photos really don't do this color justice, OPI did a good job with this one.
Incredible formula too, you can get away with only one coat but I prefer to use two. As always with OPI, no problems with application or wear. Love this! Would definitely buy it again.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/8/2013 8:23:00 AM More reviews by jessparker

The Cadillac of nail polishes. I only use one coat as I find its enough coverage and doesn't chip, rather after a few days it fades at the tips. The colour is beautiful, reminds me of Christmas, which is summer where I live, but oh how it makes me feel wintery holidayish by the fire with hot coco! Even a nail polish dummy could apply this, it's so easy and smooth. Usually I reserve red nails for shorter length nails but this colour is not so aggressive that it still looks great on longer nails too. The hint of shimmer lifts it and nails look incredibly pretty