January 31, 2015 | 1659 users online

Hair Treatments - Neutrogena - T/Gel

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/26/2014 4:54:00 PM More reviews by KittyBaditty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have been using Herbal Essences (pink shampoo) a lot lately because I love the smell, but it has really dried my hair and scalp out. I ended up with a seriously itchy scalp, lots of flyaways, and flakes :(

I kept forgetting to buy Head & Shoulders, which has been my go to for dandruff and itching in the past, and I found some T/Gel shampoo in a drawer so I decided to give it a go. While I was lathering the shampoo my scalp felt so relieved, and the lather was nice and rich so it got right down to my scalp easily. I left it in for around 4 minutes then rinsed. Post-rinse, my hair was so stripped of moisture that it squeaked, and there was no way I was going to repeat the shampoo as the instructions said. I avoided conditioning because the only thing in my shower was Herbal Essences and I know that's what has caused the issues in the first place.

Once my hair was dry it felt really soft and manageable right to the roots, and full of volume. The medicinal smell wasn't too noticeable once my hair was dry (but up close you can still smell it), and the flakes are probably 99% gone - if I shake my hair over a black sheet I can see them, but I can't actually see them on my hair.

Overall, this worked well, but I have taken off 2 lippies because it smells really bad, stripped my hair, is pretty expensive compared to Head & Shoulders (which effectively does the same thing).

rated 5 of 5 on 12/25/2014 10:56:00 PM More reviews by kes1234

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Great stuff. Have tried head and shoulders and it made it worse, switched to this and scalp was perfect after one wash. Alternating between this and normal shampoo for maintenance.

It does smell medicinal, kind of like vosene shampoo. It doesn't linger in your hair once its dried though.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/13/2014 9:51:00 PM More reviews by sindoodoo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

Great for controlling dandruff and regulating oil production in the scalp. It was recommended to me by a dermatologist. The shampoo itself is weirdly sticky (more like a gel), and it definitely dries out the hair -- make sure to condition very carefully after!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/11/2014 9:33:00 AM More reviews by sophie_au

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This review is for the T/Gel Therapeutic Shampoo Therapeutic Formula with the brown cap, the only one readily available for sale in Australia AFAIK. I used this product to treat psoriasis of the scalp, (which it does) rather than dandruff.

I bought this shampoo when I ran out of my Ego Sebitar Scalp Cleansing Treatment which is only available from pharmacies. As I desperately needed to treat a psoriasis flare-up I bought this from a local supermarket in a hurry.

I'd used it once before, years ago, and forgot why I didn't repurchase, but now I remember.

The packaging and price are fine, the fragrance is fine and fairly neutral, as far as tar-based shampoos are concerned.

BUT it's just too drying for my hair and it feels so stripped immediately after use, that I have to pile on my conditioner. Once my hair is air dry it's only slightly drier than normal, but there are better shampoos out there, even specific psoriasis-treating ones, so why bother?

The packaging, price and availability are fine, but there are superior formulas for both treating dandruff (pyrithione zinc) and psoriasis (pine tar) and cleaning hair, not to mention cheaper.

So unless you have normal-to-oily hair and specifically need a coal tar shampoo, skip this one, (or at least try another variant of this shampoo by Neutrogena.)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2014 10:23:00 AM More reviews by applecour

I really tried to give this shampoo a decent shot. Being that the bottle is almost empty, I felt like now would be a good time to review it.

My husband and I both have pretty severe dandruff. If you hold our hair straight up and look through closer the she scalp, you can see how scaly and flaky it is. My husband's is just severe dryness while mine is accompanied by severe itch in certain areas. I bought this based on a recommendation from a family member who has psoriasis on the scalp and it really helped him.

We have been using as directed, leaving the shampoo sit on the scalp for many minutes before rinsing, etc. Over all it just hasn't really been working for me. I have not noticed any differences from regular shampoo with this other than the fact that my hair smells like a burnt cigar, even with conditioner.

I wouldn't repurchase. I thought I should have bought the maximum strength, but got this because the bottle was larger and my husband and I were both going to be using it.

I'll try the max strength next, and then I'm going to the doctor's to see if something prescription grade can help us.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/30/2013 5:49:00 PM More reviews by 12jenabee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Disgusting smell. Smells like dog shampoo. I can't get the smell out of my hair after washing it with a different shampoo and putting hair products on it. Nothing masks the stench of it. It also dries your hair out. I don't recommend it try something else. I had to leave work early to go home and re-wash my hair this stuff smells so bad!!!!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2013 3:32:00 PM More reviews by LilacShine9

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This Neutrogena T-Gel Therapeutic Shampoo, Original Formula is great to use a few times a week to get rid of build-up without stripping and help with dandruff. My hair and scalp seem to like it pretty well. It has minimal ingredients. It smells kind of gross, but it's effective, so I don't mind it. http://www.drugstore.com/neutrogena-t-gel-therapeutic-shampoo-original-formula/qxp262220?catid=183494

rated 5 of 5 on 9/10/2013 1:10:00 AM More reviews by marnif

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

My husband uses this shampoo a couple times a week for his seborrheic dermatitis and it helps a lot.
That's not why I feel compelled to review it...
I tried it myself yesterday in desperation because my scalp had been itchy for a few days. I do not have problem scalp as a rule: no dandruff, no oiliness, no flaking.
I lathered and let the foam stay on my head for a few minutes. My hair was pretty darn tangled and stripped feeling once I rinsed it out. I conditioned as usual, rinsed, and combed out my hair--my usual routine.
Wow. My scalp felt much better. Little sore spots and clogged-feeling follicles were healed. My hair was very full and smooth. I got several compliments today on how my hair looked, including the color (I have high and lowlights). I plan to use it regularly.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/8/2013 5:19:00 PM More reviews by KateGuil

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Hubby uses this and likes it! effective.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/1/2013 4:26:00 AM More reviews by rubylola

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have seborrheic dermatitis which is not severe but occasionally flares up on my scalp above my ears. So it looks like dandruff but comes off in larger flakes in patches. My dermatologist previously prescribed a coal tar treatment which is expensive and stinks and to be honest, this shampoo works just as well. The formula has been improved so it does not smell half as bad as it used to. I apply it quite liberally and get a really good lather which I leave on for a few minutes. It says to repeat if necessary but I don't. I follow this with my usual conditioner. My hair does not smell like dandruff shampoo afterwards and is easy to comb. It treats my dermatitis well. When a flare up occurs I use this shampoo about 4 times a week until cleared up. I like that I can see how much product is in the bottle. The only problem I have is that it is sometimes hard to find in stock. It is more expensive than the regular dandruff shampoos but they have not worked for my SD. If anyone reading this does have SD, the best thing I have found to clear it up, apart from topical treatments is to reduce the amount of yeast in my diet. I still have occasional flares but nothing like I used to have.