Lemon Juice

Price: $

Price: $

5% to 6% (approximately 0.3 M) citric acid, Vitamin C, pH 2 to 3

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

DO NOT USE LEMON JUICE ON YOUR SKIN!!! I'm into cosmetic chemistry, dermatology and I do my research on everything I put on my skin. I only have one face & I want it to look it's best for as long as possible! That being said, lemon juice, or any citrus fruit for that matter, has the potential to do some serious short & long term damage. Not only does it immidiatly sensitize & irritate your skin, but it causes inflammation deep with in your dermis that destroys the collagen fibers that act as the structural support to keep our faces from falling prematurely. Repeated exposure to this causes premature aging and the only fix for that is painful surgical intervention. If that doesn't turn you off, then consider the fact that if exposed to uv rays, citrus fruit has a documented & consistent history of becoming photo toxic, meaning that if you use the juice as a toner in the morning, then spend time out in the sun, don't be surprised when you developed hyper pigmentation. It's better to make a toner with cucumber water, aloe vera, vegetable glycerine & a non-fragrant plant oil like olive, coconut or evening primrose oil.
It's so much safer to purchase a well formulated mask, toner or moisturizer from a respected brand. Just make sure you do your research. There's plenty of sites dedicated to keeping you safe. One of my favorites is www.beautypedia.com or www.thebeautybrains.com. Both are run by acclaimed cosmetic chemists with the sole intent of keeping you beautifully informed.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Typically people that go the lemon juice route are young, or newbies to the skincare world. And although it sounds amazing on paper, I wish people would quit encouraging the usage of straight lemon juice in skincare.

Rewinding a little bit, I am a long time skincare nerd. I have been using BHAs and AHAs for years. Not a fan of salicylic acid, but alpha hydroxy acids have my heart. Lemon juice = citric acid = alpha hydroxy acid. I totally understand the concept behind using lemon juice.

My issue with using lemon juice in skincare is:

-It's uncontrolled, vs a manufactured product that has set PH levels. You could very well disrupt your skin's acid mantle.

-Glycolic/lactic/mandelic acids are used a lot more commonly than citrus acids in chemical exfoliators. Personally for me, I find citrus does the least and yet irritates my skin the most. Lemon juice is abrasive.

-I'M NOT SEEING ENOUGH SKINCARE GURUS WARNING READERS THAT THEY NEED TO WEAR SUNSCREEN IF USING LEMON JUICE ON THEIR SKIN. That in itself can cause a bigger, new problem. Because AHAs = exfoliation = photosensitivity. Every bit of sun damage you are trying to undo with this "product", can just be intensified if the UVA rays make contact with your skin.

-It's a lot cheaper (and safer...and effective) to just buy a glycolic acid toner or retin a in the long run.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

It is NEVER a good idea to use lemon juice on your skin! The acidity of lemons throws off the balance of the PH of your skin. Lemons juice can do more harm than good.

Grind-up dried oatmeal flakes (also known as ‘rolled oats’ in supermarkets) and mix with some lemon juice. Spread this all over your face and neck as a mask and leave for about 20 minutes before rinsing off with water. The wheat in the oat has anti-inflammatory properties and as your probably know by now, lemon has brightening and acidic peel type properties. You might find you have gloops of porridge-looking substance by the end of it so you might have to do this over some newspaper so it doesn’t clog your sink pipes.

I have mild but unsightly dark spots on my chin as a result of hormonal acne which drives me nuts – I’m in my mid twenties and I’m pretty sure I had better skin when I was 18. I have just started using this and always feel so refreshed afterwards. For now I’m only doing this once or twice a week and using Dermologica as daily use. If this works I’m going to stop using expensive skin care products. Feels so liberating!

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Silver, Other, Other

You can squeeze 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice to 2 teaspoons of VitaE high potency
cream and stir with your finger until they blend in dark jar. Must be put back in fridge straight
after use. Use a small amount at night all over your face.and you will end up having beautiful
glowing skin. When making mixture make sure you use plastic teaspoon. Make fresh
mixture every week.
I am 72 yrs of age with great skin.
gracegg.

Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

Someone suggested I use this for hyperpigmentation. I'm surprised to see that it works very well and it works fast! I didn't have fresh lemon around so I started with bottled lemon juice and I'm quite happy with it.

I've been using it for 3 weeks mostly at night but sometimes I use it morning and night, and I leave it on for 20 minutes. It has significantly reduced the dark spots while many of them are completely gone. At night I use a good moisturizer and I always use an spf 50 sunscreen under my makeup for daytime.

When I first started using lemons and lemon juice on my acne prone skin, I thought it was the best thing that I had ever tried. The lemon juice appeared to clear my skin very quickly and even lighten brown spots. It didn't last!

What I did not realize, was that the lemon juice was changing the ph of my skin and removing the natural protective barrier. I got some kind of very Nasty folliculitis, not long after and I still haven't been able to get rid of it completely.

It's a different type of skin infection and I have tried everything to deal with it. It's very deep and it's almost like it starts as a pimple and then turns into this stuff crust that covers every inch of the pore and will never, ever heal! I don't know what to do. I've tried antufungals, antibacterials, antibiotics, nizoral, everything! Has anyone else had this? What did you do about it? Thanks.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I promise I was an avid user of lemons on my facial skin nearly my whole life, up until I came across an aesthetician warning about the usage of lemons on the skin barrier due to its high acidic levels, you may notice your skin "looking" better or brighter, but that doesn't mean its healthy or right to do so because it can increase skin damage by destroying your skin's lipid barrier and thus causing permanent skin texture changes and your skin's sensitivity increases..
it may be sound like a good idea temporarily, but it leaves long run damages to your skin...please people, be warned and take better care of your skin, and don't trust everything you read, heck don't even trust me, do your research first!
I have nothing to gain telling you this information, but it may actually save your skin from further damage...

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS ON YOUR FACE!!!!!!!! The ph level of Lemon is far to acidic for ANYONE'S skin. Using it on your skin can result in dryness, irritation, sensitivity to the sun, and wrinkles. It also damages the lipid layer of your skin. Do some research!! Please do some real research before putting any 'DIY' on your face, because many popular DIY skin care trends can be very damaging to your skin. I really suggest checking out Veronica Gorgeois's YouTube channel if you wish to be well informed; she is a certified Esthetician and has some very informational videos that are VERY helpful for things like this.

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Warm

For drinking? love ittt
for face? oh nooo, it'll make your face sun sensitive and it'll backfire on your acne scars or any scars

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products