July 22, 2014 | 1501 users online

Cleansers - Clinique - Wash-Away Gel Cleanser

rated 2 of 5 on 6/23/2014 8:00:00 AM More reviews by babycat1973

This is a pretty mediocre cleanser, you're better of buying a garnier one for a third of the price. It doesn't clean any better than any of the lower range ones.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/21/2014 9:27:00 AM More reviews by Reservechic

You can't use it around your eyes, as if you get it in your eyes, it will make your eyes sting like crazy. It has a slightly chemically scent to it. It has a true gel consistency to it. I did find it to do a good job of cleansing my face, but it also ended up leaving it dried out every time I would use it. It did not take me long to realize that this cleanser is not the one for me, and I ended up throwing it away. I would have brought it back for a refund, but the store where I bought it from was quite far away, and I didn't feel like taking that drive.

rated 1 of 5 on 5/7/2014 10:40:00 AM More reviews by snowsun

Comfortable and fresh gel, but not strong enough to remove foundation, even when re-washing. Therefore, I won't repurchase.
I usually like Clinique and I'm keen on the liquid facial soap for oily skin and the exfoliating cream for daily usage, and I love using the exfoliating scrub once or twice a week. However, purchasing the wash-away gel cleanser was a total waste of money. Still searching my HG face makeup and sunscreen-remover!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/25/2013 1:52:00 PM More reviews by Phoenix761

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I tried this when I was trying to put together a regimen from Clinique sometime ago. I did like it, but it is too gentle for my combo/oily/acne-prone skin. It did clean my skin but it left a residue that would be problematic for me. I used a makeup remover beforehand, and it still was not thorough enough.
Another thing I didn't care for was the lather. I know that the amount of lather in a cleanser is not indicitive of its' cleansing power. However, I do believe that I need enough lather to carry away dirt, etc. This just was not enough.
This cleanser would work well for dry skin types that wear minimal to no makeup. It would be similiar to th Purpose cleanser, or the one by Basis. Good product, just not for me.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/9/2013 4:55:00 AM More reviews by Icantrememberallmyaliases

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Back when I had combination skin, this cleanser was too drying, so I put it aside until this week. Lately, my skin has been so greasy that it seems as though if you scraped my nose with a spoon, you'd get a spoonful of o-i-l. Thus, I figured that this would be a good time to give this cleanser another try.

Unfortunately, Clinique's Wash-Away Gel Cleanser doesn't clean, at all. For instance, my skin has been so oily that the only makeup that I can wear is a light dusting of face powder. Yet, after thoroughly cleansing my face with the cleanser, the next 20 cotton balls soaked in toner were still covered in makeup. Really, a cleanser that can't even remove a sheer dusting of loose powder that was applied ten hours prior? Come on. I ended up using a sheet of cheap Epielle makeup remover wipe just to get everything off of my skin, as I was quite sleepy at this point.

This cleanser also broke me out, after just two uses, because it could not remove anything.

The bottom line: if all you want to do is cut grease, this cleanser will do it, but so would anything else. However, if you are looking to remove even a very sheer application of face powder, this cleanser won't do anything for you.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/19/2013 6:05:00 PM More reviews by vanysia

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a decent cleanser in my opinion. It cleanses my makeup ok, however I still need to use a Q-tip to remove the left-over eyeliner. It's doesn't dry out my skin or leave it feeling tight. A little goes a long way, however I have to say it's a bit slimy and doesn't rinse off very well. All in all it's an ok cleanser but it makes me go "mehh..". I've used better ones.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/13/2013 4:04:00 PM More reviews by Nizze

I have oily/combination and sometimes really dry skin. I have used a lot of different cleansers but none of them have worked (Nivea cleansing milk, Clinique 3- steps series for oily skin, Loreal cleansing milk, Biotherm cleansing milk). The people who work at the make up counters always try to sell me an entire a serie with cleanser, toner, moisturizer and everything. And thatĘs too many stuff for my skin to handle and therefore it always gets really dry. It felt like my face would crack. I tried to skip a few steps but the products were still to drying for my skin. I then bought this one, Clinique Was Away gel to remove my make up. At first I was really hesitant because I┤ve used products from Clinique before and they didn┤t work. This one WORKS! It removes my make up so well but in a really gentle way. My skin feels really smooth even though I always wash my face it twice a day, to remove make up. And then I just put my a serum (due to dryness during the winter) from Calrins and then a moisturizer from dermalogica. IT works like a charm! Love love love this product.

I have repurchased many times and have recommeded to my friends and they are also very pleased with it!

rated 2 of 5 on 1/2/2013 1:12:00 AM More reviews by mccfrausto

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I use the clinique three step system for combination oily skin and it's great. Now I tried this wash away gel cleanser as recommended, it's a pre-step to the three step system. However I don't see the point in it. My face just feels more dry and I'm afraid that will turn my skin red. I'm going to return this and if I ever try it again it will be during the summer because it's too dry for winter. My skin feels parched after all that. As I mentioned, I used this with the three step system for combination oily skins.

Edit: I just sprayed my face with water and added the moisture surge gel. Now my skin feels as smooth as silk?! So I guess it's better to use a stronger moisturizer than just the regular moisture gel.

However I'm still returning this cleanser and the moisture surge gel because I suspect the moisture surge gel breaks me out.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/2/2012 9:43:00 AM More reviews by Aquinstar

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

So, I've been on the hunt for the perfect facial care system. I'm 33 years old with oily prone Hispanic skin. I don't have any wrinkles (yet) but suffer from genetic undereye circles, large pores, and a never ending supply of blackheads on the chin and nose. What I need is a skin care line (and I'm willing to pay the price) that will minimize my pores for a more airbrushed look, get rid of the blackheads, and brighten my sometimes dull complexion. I went ahead and splurged on the 3-step system #3, Wash Away Gel Cleanser plus the Dark Spot Corrector and Pore Refining Solutions Correcting Serum (see my other reviews.) All in all, it set me back about $150.00. I decided to review each part of the system separately because some elements work better than others. The first step was to remove makeup with the Wash Away Gel Cleanser. The cleanser is a pretty thick gel. I did not care for the scent - it has a medicinal quality that reminds me a bit of Noxema. The gel does not foam at all as you add water, you just rub it in and splash water on your face until it is gone. It doesn't sting, but there is a slight cooling effect. Warning! Do NOT get this in your eyes, it hurts pretty bad and seems to take forever to get out, so I do not advise using it to remove eye makeup. Go with an eye makeup remover. There definitely feels like there is a film on your face after using, which I guess is ok, since you are supposed to follow up with the first step in the 3-care system, but I'm a simple girl who would prefer to get all the junk off with one product. For the price, this product is ok, as it does what it says, and you don't need a whole lot. I just don't find myself reaching for it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/25/2012 10:33:00 AM More reviews by tabloid

We've had a very hot and humid summer, which makes my skin even oilier than usual, so I bought this cleanser thinking that it would help control oil and deep-clean my face more thoroughly than my usual cleanser.
No on both counts - my skin seems to be just as oily and before, and this cleanser does not do such a great job of cleaning my skin. I use it to take off my makeup but I find that it doesn't do a thorough job of taking off my eye makeup: there's always a some mascara residue left behind (and I wear regular mascara, not the waterproof kind).
I also have this feeling that the cleanser doesn't wash off completely and leaves a film behind - but maybe this is just a subjective feeling. The gel doesn't lather very much and feels thick and viscous no matter how much water I mix it with.