Jean Paul Gaultier Fleur de Male

3.4

on 3/28/2013 3:37:00 PM

I bought this fragrance back in 2010 and obviously my tastes have changed because I don't love it as much as I did. I have one full bottle and a half bottle left which is rather annoying. It has quite a powdery finish and very strong notes of petitgrain, neroli and basil. Smells quite herbal after the notes settle, but I feel it to be not as fresh as i would've liked, especially with the notes. I just don't think I like it as much anymore. The initial spray is nauseating and rather intense. Similarly, I can feel it go straight to the back of my nose which I can tell is not a good sign

Notes: petitgrain, lavender, orange blossom, coumarin.

This fragrance opens with the scent of sweet white flowers on a bed of lavender and coumarin. The vanilla-like note has got a slight almond-y quality which is typical for this kind of spice. The accord is sweet yet fresh and clean. On my skin the floral top notes burn our very quickly to reveal a lighter version of the typical Le Male base accord. Lasts six hours on my skin.

on 12/13/2010 5:15:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I could not find any similarities with le Male but maybe it was wrong to search for them. This is a scent that could have smelled exciting and masculine, but a one single flower ruined it. Fleur du Male smells like a chamomile flower that has been way too long in the vase and do not smell so fresh. It makes me think of Vivienne Westwoods Boudoir. Not in a positive way of course.

on 5/2/2009 8:20:00 PM

I smelled a sample and loved it.
Then took my boyfriend to Sephora and he didn't like it at all. He said it was "too gay" :-(
Maybe next time... or... next boyfriend? ;-)

on 2/22/2009 3:42:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I don't know any males wearing this yet, unlike Le Male which everyone seems to have. I bought this scent for me as I find it hard to find "heavier, muskier" perfumes I like - I'm a floral girl to the heart :) I decided to look into colognes instead and found this one to be exactly what I wanted. It's soft and floral, yet heavy and musky. It dries down to a heavy orange blossom scent, with a hint of gardenia IMO. It smells really pretty on a woman thus the reason I can't see a man wearing this...I've actually giggled when men have complimented me on this knowing the next time they get a whiff of this scent it could possibly be on another man.

A little definitely goes a long way, and although I think this is a great compliment to spring and summer, I am scared it might be a little overbearing during the humid DC summers.

All in all, any girls out there trying to break their typical floral cycle but turned off by the old-lady orientals/woods offered in women's scents, try this, I'm sure it will provide the needed variety without pushing you too far out your comfort zone.

on 12/10/2008 2:47:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Fleur De Male is the newest male fragrance from BPI. The main note is orange blossom. It's rare for a male fragrance to have a strong floral note but this one does, but it's still 100% masculine. It's different from other male colognes, which is why I like it. I can see why some guys wouldn't go for it though. It's very different, a different kind of masculine.

on 3/30/2008 4:27:00 AM

This really smells awful!! My friend wears this and I asked him what it was (he thought I was goin' to give him a compliment...)
I said he was smelling like Maroussia, that cheap, old-smelling, straight in your face perfume, the perfume that high school girls worn when they had no money to buy something really good.
Next time I think he's wearing the JPG (blue bottle), that's a lovely fragrance!

on 3/25/2008 10:57:00 PM

I don't know how to say this appropriately, but the musk and o.b. are very dirty smelling to me. Dirty as in Henry & June trapped in an alley in Port Au Prince for 4 days. And I'm not knocking Haiti, okay?

on 12/12/2007 10:43:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Tan, Not Sure

I spent over an hour at the perfume counter trying to pick out the perfect smell for my boyfriend as a one year anniversary gift. I had about 20 samples lined up on the counter, and had to narrow down my selection. I told the associates to give me some time to decide (because after their initial help they became a nuisance). So it was me, my 20 sample cards, and a tin of coffee beans.

After a while I ended up buying Fleur de Male. Some people would think it to be a strange choice. But really, I put alot of thought into the decision.

First off, it's not like any other male fragrance out there. It's completely and totally different. I don't know if there's a universal way to describe scents, everyone speaks of notes and whatnot, but I don't think I'm, able to do that. I can only describe the scent in my own way. When I smelled this I thought it was smooth like butter and like I was lying in a damp corner of the woods nestled in fragrant flowers/plants.

It could work as a woman's scent, but I would never wear it, I think it defiantly suits a man better. When my sister took a whiff without knowing if it was a male or female scent, she declared it was neutral. It's not strong, sharp, and powerful, like many male fragrances are, but this is subtle and playful. I see it as a scent that would make you look twice if a man wearing it casually walked by.

I wanted to get him something special and unique, and this is definately it. I'd be able to find my boyfriend in a room filled with guys sprayed with Aqua di Gio, so I'm glad for that. Plus he says he likes it. And he's one to be blunt and return/exchange a gift if he doesn't like it, so I think I did good.

(The only reason I'm giving this 4/5 is because I'm worried the constant sweetness might make me nauseous. i can't stand Joop for that very reason.)

Popular Fragrances