November 24, 2014 | 936 users online

Moisturizers - H2O - Face Oasis Shine-Neutralizing Gel

rated 4 of 5 on 3/24/2014 1:29:00 AM More reviews by chyky

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

i really love this stuff, am very very very oily and this stuff really helps to keep me matte because i use it under my makeup for almost the whole day, offcourse i use it with my milk of magnesia (MOM). but this alone is good enough for u.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/3/2013 3:36:00 PM More reviews by larosedechanel

This is probably my favourite product I have & I love it. I definitely recommend this face gel because it's great for oily skin. I've got some really oily skin & to find a product that actually works for me is seriously amazing. It kept my face oil & shine-free without damaging or drying out my skin; my skin reacted very well to it. It did make my pores looks smaller, but not significantly so. It didn't minimize as much as I thought it would. I also didn't notice a change in my skin's texture, but maybe I haven't been using it long enough. I'll keep you all updated.

After Shine-Neutralizing Gel dried & set on my skin, it felt... not sticky, but tacky. It's not greasy at all. I'm not sure how to describe the smells salty & clean. I think it literally smells like California, the ocean. The texture is light. It's not heavy or thick like other moisturizers. The gel is a jade green colour.

It is a little pricey at $36 for a 1.7 fl oz jar, but thankfully I picked it up at a Ross for $7.99. I don't mind that it's packaged in a jar you have to put your finger into or the silica in it. Honestly, I don't know if I'd buy it again at practically $40, but if I see it again at the price I got it for, I'll pick up another because of how well it works.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/14/2013 4:24:00 AM More reviews by cocoacloud

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

This is a fantastic moisturizer. I'm on my second tub of this, and I can confidently say that it regulates oil like no other, without stripping you dry! It is a blue-green gel that has a light, pleasant scent - characteristic of all H20 products. I put this on before my sunscreen and makeup, and it always sinks right in - almost dissolves - leaving you with a perfectly moisturized base. I'm very acne prone and this does not break me out. I also tend to peel sometimes because I use a mandelic serum at night, and I find that this soothes the flakiness around my nose. I'm actually very pleasantly surprised that this regulates my oily skin and sebum so well. I do find a difference when I skip this and directly apply sunscreen and foundation - my makeup doesn't last as long and slips more.

I have tried other "shine-neutralizing" products before like La Roche Posay's Effaclar Mat (regulated oil but left my skin very dry) and L'Oreal's Hydrafresh Anti-Shine Gel (felt fresh, but otherwise did nothing) - but both weren't as good.

I do find that it is quite pricey even when it's on sale - at least where I live in Hong Kong, but if you're looking for a good quality, effective yet simple moisturizer, then I recommend you give this a try.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/11/2012 6:52:00 PM More reviews by lachrymist

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I guess it's just a basic moisturizer, it definitely mattes down your face for a few minutes but nothing really happens afterwards. Also I really really really hate jar packaging because it would just get in my nails...

rated 5 of 5 on 5/28/2010 1:34:00 AM More reviews by evelynhg1107

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

This is a great moisturizer! It's silky smooth, moisturizing and not oily. The gel is almost immediately absorbed by the skin without leaving any greasiness. The smell is also great. My face felt so hydrated after applying it. As for dipping into the jar, I recommend using a little scoop. Some SK-II products come with a scoop for the jar and I found it very useful - so that the cream doesn't get under your nails etc. Although the H20+ gel doesn't come with one, you can get it pretty much anywhere.

Unfortunately, this gel is a little expensive at $48 CAD for 50ml or else I'd be purchasing more often. I switched to an alternative which works just as well; Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel since it's more affordable at $34 CAD for 125ml.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/3/2009 3:39:00 PM More reviews by sureve

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have extremely oily skin, and while I do not think that this does much, if anything, to prevent shine, it does not seem to cause an excess of shine and oilies as I have experienced with other mosturizers. I have acne prone skin and this is the only mosturizer I have found that I can stand to put on my face without feeling like I am asking for trouble. It does have silica in it, but hasn't caused me to break out at all. In fact, my skin seems to have improved since using this. As an added bonus it has a really clean, light scent. The price seems steep, but a little goes a long way and should last months. I am not a fan of the glass jar packaging but if you are careful to wash your hands throughly before dipping it in, its not really a big deal.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/28/2009 1:54:00 AM More reviews by FireWeaver

I was using the normal Oasis in a jar and then decided to "upgrade" for the summer, since I have extremely oily but dehydrated skin.

As for shine-control, I have to honestly say it does zip. Sometimes before makeup I will apply the shine reducing serum to help a bit, but without it the skin certainly shines away happily. But to tell the truth, I get nervous applying too many layers of "shine reducing/oil reducing" stuff because:

1) All these products (not just H20) seem to create this slightly sticky sealed feeling to my face which seems like...
2) Sealing off my pores so that they can't sweat, excrete toxins or whatever they do

So I actually don't think it's a good thing to layer too much stuff to seal off the pores...

Being said, when I saw my aesthetician she noted how my skin was less dehydrated and healthier, which she did not say while I was using the Oasis. So I think there is something in this version of moisterizer that does help combat excess sebum, which leads to blackheads, acne and the like. I have skin that hates everything so for this to happen is close enough to miracle to me. I can deal with shine with oil blotters.

As for packaging, I really don't mind the jar. Something about glass, round packaging looks clean and pro to me...but I do hate when the product gets stuck onto the lid when the jar is turned sideways/upside down when I travel. Scraping stuff off the lid always seems dirty to me, so I leave the little plastic separator in and wash it every so often...

rated 4 of 5 on 1/26/2008 7:22:00 PM More reviews by 1prettygirl

I like it, I also liked the idea of eight glasses of water for my face. It's moisturizing, but I was expecting more than what it delivers. It's a good cream for my bf, but for myself, it's very mediocre. I see some of the other reviewers are worried about some of the ingredients in the product, therefore I won't be buying it again. For myself or my bf, no matter how much he likes it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2008 5:05:00 PM More reviews by wanyilee

I picked this up since I had oily skin and I always liked face oasis... I thought this version of the face oasis might be good for me. The idea of having eight glasses of water delivered to your skin is very tempting to me!! I never consistently used face oasis, but I have samples from previous h2o purchases and I use it once in a blue moon and it does the job. Anyhow I bought this one for around $40 CAD when they had a promotion. This one didn't work out much for me, it's just another one of those more than average moisturizer... doesn't really hydrate my skin, doesn't control shine..... it's lighter than face oasis... if I have to compare it to the original version I would have bought the original....

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2007 12:15:00 AM More reviews by nisey_nyc

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is a fantastic moisturizer for summer! It has a lovely cooling gel texture, great clean marine scent, and it actually works! I can go almost all day without shine (enabling me to skip tinted moisturizer or foundation on days when I'm running out the door, but it works well even under makeup), and it doesn't have that nasty/sticky/tacky feeling of many other moisturizers. I have super sensitive skin, too, and this doesn't bother me at all--it is rather soothing. The product is packaged in a 1.7 fl. oz. (50 mL) jar; while some users may have issues with this packaging in terms of cleanliness (since you stick your finger(s) in to scoop out product), I don't have a problem with it, since I use it right after washing my hands anyway. I threw out the box, but the jar says that the product includes shine-neutralizing extracts of gigartina, neptune kelp, and dulse, along with Provitamin B and vitamins A, C, and E. I purchased this item at the ~H20+ store for $34.