Melatonin

Price: $

Price: $

on 1/24/2015 7:58:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Cool

This used to be the only thing that would get me to sleep. I had tried a lot of tHings including prescriptions and this did it. Your body naturally produces it. My psychiatrist recommended I take 3mg and then go up as needed until about 6mg. I did so, but slowly overtime (over a year) I needed more. I read online that going higher was ok (later on my psychiatrist hold me that it was even fine taking as high as 20-something mg), so I went to 9 (my pills came in 3mg each form). it did good... Except I kept having these very vivid nightmares, ones that were intense and the worst scenarios and so real you'd swear it was real life.it wasn't until a while after I wondered if the two might have been connected, so I did a little research and found out that many others had the same product

I hate this crap. Btw-Why is it up for review on makeupalley??? I felt as if I couldn't fully wake up the next day for one, for two- bizarre dreams. Ew. I'd rather be tossing & turning. Definitely no!

on 9/22/2014 4:59:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

melatonin helped me fall asleep. But caused a massive breakout. massive! no idea why, but I know that's definitely what caused my skin to go crazy. Still recovering... be warned! I will never touch it again.

on 9/17/2012 2:54:00 PM

Hell no I wouldn't buy it again!! Horrendous nightmares!! If I had only looked into this before I bought it--when it happened the second time I twigged into what the culprit was. Into the bin it went! And good riddance!!!

on 9/16/2012 5:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

This worked well when I was a preteen, but now it doesn't seem to do anything. I suffer from pretty severe insomnia, and have for as long as i can remember. this probably would still work for me if i took twice as much (or more) but that would honestly just be a waste of money. this is nice though because you don't wake up groggy the way benedryl or most sleep aids make you feel. for the average person, this probably would work wonders

I have a really messed up sleep schedule. Mostly do to my own poor sleep habits. I stay up really late doing homework several nights a week and then get up early for work. Sometimes I take naps which makes it hard to fall asleep. I also have a bad habit of staying up and posting on twitter, looking at pinterest and searching for things to add to my own, watching tv, playing video games, watching movies, texting my friends. You name it and there's a million other things I'd rather be doing other than sleep. My point is between school work and life my body is so damn confused I'm sleepy all the time but can't sleep when I want to go to bed. I was watching tv and saw an article about sleep disorders. They suggested several herbal remedies including having chamomile tea with 18 drops of liquid melatonin. Although it has a slight taste of alcohol to ti I don't mind I found it made me drowzy in only a few minutes. Almost as soon as I turned out the lights I fell asleep. That has never happened to me before. Usually I toss and turn for about a half hour at least. I've only been doing this a few days so I'll report back with any changes. I can't wait to try some of the other remedies they suggested like Nature Made Sleep Aid, which has passionflower in addition to melatonin. I'm so much in love with melatonin right now! I have to admit I'm a bit scared to read what 777designz said about it giving her heavy periods because mine are already heavy, very painful and irregular. If this happens it's a dealbreaker.

on 4/13/2012 9:25:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other

I've had terrible insomnia since I was a teenager. It seems like I can keep a regular sleep schedule for a few weeks and then either I can't fall asleep till a few hours later each day, or I have a few days where I can't fall asleep at all and it really messes with my life. I've tried over the counter medications and they do absolutely nothing for me. I even have gotten several prescriptions and they leave me half awake and groggy. They never make me really fall asleep and I spend half the next day feeling like a zombie. It wasn't until recently a family friend gave me a melatonin to try and it worked surprisingly well.

What I love about it is I feel like I am falling asleep naturally. For anyone expecting it to knock them out they will be disappointed. I just close my eyes and relax and soon I drift off to sleep. I can wake up in the middle of the night and can think clearly and do not feel 'hung over.' The next morning I there is no grogginess; I feel like I do when I wake up normally.

One thing I have noticed and I want others to be aware of is it can mess with your period cycles if used too much. When I first started taking it I used it every night for several weeks and when my period came it was super heavy. I did research online and discovered others have problems with their cycles coming earlier or later, having their period become heavier to completely disappearing. I've learned to avoid this only take it on nights when you absolutely cannot fall asleep (instead of taking it nightly like I did), and take the minimum you need to sleep. 3mg or less is a good place to start. If that doesn't work you then could try taking more. I was taking 6mg and I discovered I fall asleep just as well taking a half of a 3mg pill. Now that I take less and only when I need it (a few times a month) my period is back to normal.

on 2/3/2012 2:45:00 AM

While taking melatonin for sleep, I dreamt that I had a penis, as in attached to my body, and that it was much too sensitive (I am a woman). It did make me fall asleep, however, and now I appreciate what men have to deal with everyday much better, too. YMMV.

on 11/29/2011 11:47:00 PM

I switch off on the brand that I purchase, but I use this every night. the body already produces this hormone, however some people may not produce enough. this is non habit forming as well. it doesn't knock you out, rather just helps with your sleep cycle.

on 5/6/2011 12:55:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

everyone's body naturally produces melatonin, which is what makes a person sleepy. however, for 1 reason or another (be it age, childbirth, etc) sometimes the body doesnt produce enough, so when a person *should* be falling asleep, they're laying there wide awake thinking about everything under the sun.

and thats my problem, sometimes (in fact, MOST of the time!) my brain just wont shut off. i've taken benadryl in the past, but i built up my tollerance, and eventually it got to the point where i gpt take 12 of 'em and not feel a thing. as i've been known to have some allergies, i didnt like the idea of becoming tollerant to something that could otherwise save my life in the case of an allergy. so i wanted something natural. enter: Melatonin.

i've taken a couple different brands, just b/c different stores carry different kinds. the kind i'm using now is from Sam's club and for under $4 you get 300. each pill is 3mg melatonin and 10mg B6. if you figure that i take 2 a night every night, 300 lasts me about 5 months. not bad for under $4, huh?!

i find that i take the melatonin (and after years of use, i have not had to up the dosage any), and after 20 minutes or so i'm sleepy. Be advised, if you dont go to sleep within 15 minutes of when you get sleepy or so, the sleepiness wears off! b/c melatonin doesnt stay in your bloodstream, it helps you fall asleep and then goes away. so it also WONT help you STAY alseep, if thats your problem.

that said, i will be rebuying this for years to come! i love that its natural so i dont have to worry about prolonged use.

Popular Other Products