November 28, 2014 | 1935 users online

Blush - Tarte - Natural Beauty Cheek Stain

rated 5 of 5 on 3/24/2014 5:14:00 PM More reviews by eelnus

This is hands down the best piece of makeup I own right now and I have EVERYTHING!
I use this to mimic the freshly sun kissed rosy face. I noticed when I was on vacation in Mexico that the guys had the best sun kissed look beccause they don't really care about spf on their face and they don't wear make up. Make up can make your face look to even. I took mental note of where the guys were rosy from the sun and I use this to mimic that. It looks absolutely natural and my face glows.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/16/2014 2:13:00 PM More reviews by Nadja3377

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I like this blush but it's over priced ...plus, you have to put it on nude skin or it'll mess up your foundation I liked the concept of a gel blush but I don't think I'd buy it again

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/7/2014 4:53:00 PM More reviews by spinnaker

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

If you look through my reviews, I rarely 5 lippie something. HG only. Pluck me bald and call me drafty, this is it!

I went into Sephora to buy the Josie Maran Coconut Water Cheek Gelee. I was looking for a great red blush. NARS Exhibit A was too orange, Stila Convertible Colour in Poppy was too pink and too hard to work with. The cheek gelee in Getaway Red was chosen. It was in my hand. It was watery, transparent, red. $26 for a small pot seemed a bit steep, and it definitely clung to any hair on my face, but I was okay with it. I'd researched this, I was ready.

An SA approached me to offer help. I asked for a sample of Stella McCartney's LILY, and waited near the Tarte display. Tarte? Never heard of it, never googled it, never looked it up on MUA. But there they were: cheek stains in all their tubby, chubby glory. And they had a red. I casually transferred the Josie Maran to my other hand as I uncapped the Tarte. It slid onto my wrist with a glimmer and a soft slide. The red was deep, true, not pink or bluish. I took a closer look at the package. A tubby tube, the size of deoderant, free of parabens etc; a lifetime supply for $36... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, why had I never heard of this?!

The SA returned and I opened the conversation. Tell me about this Tarte Cheek Stain in Natural Beauty. She told me all of the things it was free of (plenty) and we both ogled the beautiful deep shimmery red. There was a faint smell, but nothing offensive. And seriously, the tube is huge. We made our way to the brushes and she brushed it on my pale, freckly, sick looking, winter skin. And there I was, a china doll, flushed from a run in the snow. Healthy, radiant, glowing.

The reality: a thick tube for $36 CDN. Free of everything that offends you. Buildable, looks good alone with no other makeup. Lasts through the day, would need to reapply for evening, but I'm okay with that. Enough shimmer to be nice, but not enough that I look like mutton dressed as lamb. A nice, deep red. Not quite wine, definitely not blue, pink or orange. Easy to work with, I have used a stippling brush at home and my fingers on the go, and both work. I've also applied this directly from the tube, all styles seem to work. This is easy to travel with; it would need a bomb to break this case (actually, bombs are part of my job, but that's another story).
My only beef is the size. Huge. At the rate I go through makeup, this is my ultimate blush purchase. I will be 90 and still working on this. I will give this to my preppy, college aged granddaughter, when I have her in 30 years. A smaller size would be great for travel or to sample other colours in the line.

Bonus: it looks great on my lips and doesn't taste too weird. Needs gloss on top though, just my opinion.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2012 9:52:00 PM More reviews by vhsale

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Thank you MUA'ers for introducing me to the most amazeballs blush! If you want naturally pretty looking cheeks and a blush that doesn't irritate your skin, AND stays put all day, this is the way to go! I'm glad a little goes a long way too so I'm not upset about the price because it's worth it! My other blushes have been forgotten and I only use them when I play make up with friends because I hide the good stuff lol. But yes! Tarte cheekstains are absolutely wonderful! I tried it as a lip stain. Don't do it! Cause the taste is bleaagh. But this wasn't designed as a cheek/lip stain so I wasnt surprised when my experiment failed.

Oh and how I apply this is with a foundation brush. I dont wear liquid foundation anymore so I tried my brush just by dabbing it onto the blush, then just sweeping the brush from the apples of my cheeks and curve it upwards. Hope that last part made sense! But yeah it leaves an even color to both cheeks as I sometimes get pigment happy with my fingers and one cheek has waay more color than the other. And the resulting color isn't overwhelming but the blush is buildable! I'm just a natural make up kind of girl, not quite ready to make bold statements with make up yet since I just got into it this year! Hehe.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2012 12:48:00 AM More reviews by bernsie

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Silver, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I LOVE a cheek stain as it's so transparent and holds onto the skin thereby having longevity in it's wearability. It's a great "blush" to use on bare skin (moisturized) as it appers so natural as if it is a flush of natural rosiness. It also maintains it's color and "holds on" all day w/out fading. I also like it over a sheer foundation or tinted moisturizer as once again it looks so natural. The amount of the product in comparison to how little one needs to get the proper payoff makes this item last forever before repurchasing. I like to apply it with a wedge shaped sponge and will actually pick up the color w/the sponge as opposed to using it directly from packaging to skin or even using fingers for deposit, though you can use these two other application methods, but still blended w/a sponge. I apply it to the apples of the cheek and along the cheekbone to the ear. I like it at the temples moving up toward the forehead above eyebrows and swept over the bridge of the nose, chin and jawline. I even like it applied to the eyecrease blending up to the brow. It's just an amazing color and texture, never looking dry or flat, but looking as if it is part of your skin. Highly Recommended.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/5/2012 4:40:00 AM More reviews by keanash

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Wow, I'm surprised by how much I like this! I am in general a fan of cream or gel blush formulations anyway, because I find them easy to work with and quick to put on when I just want to get out the door. I decided to try this one based on a glowing recommendation from a girl with similar colouring to mine on another forum. I am so happy I did!

The formula feels sticky when first touched, but for me, after I blended it out on my cheeks, it did not stay sticky. I applied by touching the product with my finger and transferring it to my face that way (not by tapping the whole stick against my cheek). I wonder if the stickiness other reviewers commented on comes from the amount of product applied? It felt fairly weightless for me and gave a nice, just in from the cold type of flush to the cheek. It's a colour unlike any of the others I already own, which is a huge plus for me. The product is very expensive but gosh, it's just so big I don't even know WHEN I would need to repurchase! I guess we'll see. I really like this, though. I can see it becoming my go-to everyday blush.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2012 7:59:00 PM More reviews by crossett

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love this stuff, can't believe I haven't reviewed it. It is a bit expensive - but a little goes a long way and the tube contains a lot of product. It's firm so you rub some off the tube and then blend it into your skin. I LOVE IT. I love how it looks and I love that it helps keep my skin moist. Also love that it's a natural product. HIGHLY recommend and it comes in many shades. try it !

rated 2 of 5 on 1/20/2012 9:14:00 AM More reviews by antodizon

I don't understand the hype. I'm 36, Asian, NC40, with good skin which can get oily by midday. This product is very greasy and difficult to blend. It feels like you used your lip balm on your cheeks! While the product looks highly pigmented, you need to apply several strokes to get the desired effect. Not recommended for those who prefer a matte look, but I'm trying this soon at the beach where dewy probably looks better. Wish it were better-smelling too. Very disappointed.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2011 9:00:00 PM More reviews by fustyluggz

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I cannot even express how much I love this product. I've never been a big fan of cream blushes, I've never really been able to figure out how to work them, never found the right color, etc. This product is SO fantastic. It's easy to work with, easy to blend, looks wonderful, lasts ALL day (even on my super oily skin). I am really, seriously blown away by this. I just swirl my ring finger over the top of the product, dab it on both cheeks and blend it out with a flat top brush - sometimes I'll add just a bit more to the apples of my cheeks. The does give the perfect just in from the snow, just got an amazing kiss, post coital flush that everyone else has described. I got a really good price for it on eBay but I honestly think I'd not hesitate to pay full price for it, I love it that much. Great, great product.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/1/2011 10:19:00 AM More reviews by windkey

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've been looking for a natural-effect blush to add to my (very, very minimal) makeup routine, and after a bit of a misstep with powder, came to this.

The good:
The colour is fantastic on me
It blends really well
It looks natural and subtle on bare skin
The not-so-good:
Do I really need a blush stick the size of an economy deodorant? I don't think so. I would really prefer a smaller pan of product, so that I could refresh it every now and then. I probably wouldn't buy this again -- but I probably won't ever HAVE to. If I had kids, I could likely pass the remains of this stick on to them when I die.
It smells like fruit. Not overwhelmingly, I admit, but still -- I'm not thirteen, and I'm not keen on weird fruitbasket aromas in my product.
It's not a stain. It never sets, and will rub off on things. I hate that.
I think what I'm really looking for is something like Benetint (which I used to apply to my cheeks with a sponge, once upon a time) but Benetint, both Original and New colours, are not really the right shades for me.