Maybelline Expert wear eyeshadow- Nutmeg

Price: $

Price: $

on 2/27/2015 3:46:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure

So for any Canadian ladies out there, specifically those that live in Winnipeg, this shade doesn't seem to be anywhere, and I've checked everywhere: Walmart, Shoppers, Superstore, Rexall. The main matte dark brown eyeshadow of Maybelline seems to be Made for Mocha, which seemed nice, but I wanted something darker and heard really good things about this product. However, it is available on Walmart's website, with free shipping of course, just a heads up. Now on to the review!

First off, this color is a dark matte brown that actually almost seems purple-y/taupe-y. Which means, no orange! And definitely leans more to the cool side. On close inspection, there seems to be a few sparkly things in this, but thankfully they do not transfer on application. Due to the cool matte color, I bought this mainly to contour and let me just say its amazing!!! All bronzers around me were always too orange or sparkly, and all things specifically made for contouring were always too expensive for my university budget. Enter this wonderful wonderful eyeshadow.

Some info, I am of a medium olive/yellow skintone (think medium Filipino color). This product does a great job of matching the cool shadows of my skin. The texture is very soft and buttery (not urban decay buttery, but a close second). A light touch is definitely needed along with skillful blending but the result is amazing. Worn it from school at 8:30 in the morning to 10pm at night with minimal fading on my oily, acne prone skin.

Note, this will stick more to any cakey places in your foundation though, which is difficult when your foundation tends to cake around dry acne spots on your face (Revlon Colorstay), so again, handle with care. Light hand and blending!

I've even used this as a brow powder and its great as well. I have "black" hair (that's really dark dark dark brown) and one should never use (imo) black to define the brows, unless an intense look is desired. And this product lets me get a perfectly natural look while filling in sparse areas and defining my arch.

Its also great as just a regular eyeshadow! I have a couple dark matte browns but this works really well with my favorite plum colored shades as a crease color or even on its own. I always use primer (WnW fergie's take on the day) cause I have very oily eyelids and this last til I get home with minimal creasing. It blends wonderfully with just a little bit of fallout, though I usually pat my shadow on rather than brushing out of habit.

The only negative would be the packaging. I don't honestly care, but it is a bit flimsy. I wouldn't worry about putting it my makeup bag, but it's not terribly pretty and I don't think the hinge would stand being dropped on a hard surface from great heights.

Overall, an amazing product with so many uses that I wish was more easy to obtain in my area and at a great price (Cheapest I've found online w/free shipping is walmart, aprox. $5-6 CND)

on 12/25/2014 4:02:00 PM

I actually use this eyeshadow to fill in my brows. I dropped the eyeshadow once (onto a carpet covered floor) and the top portion of the case cracked as well as the hinges... be aware the packaging is delicate. Regardless, the shade of this eye shadow is phenomenal. You can use a light hand and it appears just a nude tan, or with more product a dark chocolate brown. The formula lasts for quite a while when used with a primer. However, I've grown to love eye brow gels, so I would not purchase again.

on 11/4/2014 5:08:00 PM

I really love this product very pigment so a little goes a long way! :) but definitely will need a primer because without one it won't stay on and will just look like a mess by the end of the day.

on 9/7/2014 4:12:00 PM

Very pigmented eyeshadow. Blendable. Better than some high end e/s.

on 6/10/2014 10:31:00 PM

This eye shadow is fantastic, its a beautiful brown and can last on my eye lids as long as i put some powder first. I usually alternate between napoleon perdis and Maybelline, but sometimes with napoleon perdis the excess residue that falls under the eyes when applying can mark my face but that doesn't happen with Maybelline, the excess eyeshadow can be wiped off without marking under my eyes and making me look like I have dark circles.

on 4/15/2014 10:37:00 AM

Pretty sure this gem has been discontinued :(

on 4/15/2014 9:55:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium

Love this eyeshadow - it is definitely a staple and must have. I use it every single day, and that says alot considering I switch up my foundation, blush, concealers, and everything else all the time - but this gets use every single day. Plus, I use it for THREE different purposes: Crease shade (goes with so many different color combos), under eye liner, and to fill in my brows. The color is a completely matte, dark "taupey" brown. The color shown on here isn't very accurate - the color in person is a little lighter brown (still dark tho) and has more grey undertones. I have dark hair and medium olive skin tone, but I could see this working on anyone. It will last me forever too... even though I have used it everyday for the last year, I have barely put a dent in it. It was well worth the $3.

on 1/1/2014 2:30:00 PM

Skin: Other, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

i love this shadow! the packaging is kind of annoying, i've had this for awhile and it broke on me. the color is a gorgeous dark brown matte. i love this for filling in my eyebrows (close to my brow color) and using in my outer corner. the pricing is good, cheap. it's pretty pigmented and creates the perfect brown for a eyeshadow look. it's so beautiful for the eyes and is one of my go-to options for the eyes and the brows.

Wow & finally. This is a rich brown matte color with the best texture I have ever felt in an eye shadow. It's very buttery and smooth and I find that I want to keep rubbing and say "buuuuutttttttttttttery", but I stop myself. I've been looking for a way to softly but definitely define my eyes. This color defines the very well and it does it softly without looking harsh. *For Sensitive Eyes* When I've tried using other eye shadows to define my eye (right at the lash line and I apply with a damp standard eye shadow pad) they always cause irritation. I just started buying some Maybelline powder eye shadows and noticed that my eyes never watered or acting irritated in anyway. I also love Tastefully Taupe, Mocha Motion, Earthly Taupe... not taupe in any way but a great buttery blending color, and a few others. Maybelline must have changed their formula? Back in the day they were at the same level as CoverGirl. If you haven't tried Maybelline eye shadows in a few years, or decades give them a try. I suggest trying the one's I wrote of because they have been surprisingly wonderful!

on 9/6/2013 9:08:00 PM

When I first swatches this eyeshadow... I was a shocked!!!! It is like touching a super smooth cream eyeshadow. I have never found anything this creamy and smooth. Words cannot even describe the texture of this eyeshadow. The color is a beautiful brown/plum matt color. I am so completely obsessed with this color!!!! It looks really great with taupes that have a plum like undertone. I really want to try more of the matt formulas from this line to see if they are as FANTASTIC as this one!!!