MAC Pro Lipstick - Show Orchid

4.7

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

Yeah! LOVE this lipstick! It was my second MAC tube, the first was Lady Danger, and I still wear both. I'm not a pink gal, but in the summer I wear this with a bare face, a top knot, and boom - I look bangin' with no effort! It is a gorgeous deep fuschia - love the formula, and I have bought this tube three times so far. It's not a Barbie pink, but something a lady can wear for a little fun without looking cheap. I am 36 and I think I can pull it off way better than a chalky pastel pink. MAC knows what's up when it comes to lipsticks, and I have never been led astray.

They're affordable (sorta), the finishes are all great, and the pigments leave nothing to want for. I'm a die hard MAC lipstick gal and always will be!

And for the person who said Ruby Woo can't be duped, uh - I can think of FOUR off the top of my head! That I own! Because I'm crazy and can't stop buying reds! They are Wet n Wild Stoplight Red, Nars Dragon Girl, YSL Rouge Rock, and Revlon Really Red. Just in case you want a drugstore dupe or have one of the aforementioned, they are all like, exactly the same! Really Red pulls a little more orange but it is super close. I would think that Show Orchid is a little harder to dupe because the depth of the purple in it - a lot of drugstore pinks can see like they go either pink or purple. As somebody with 50+ lipsticks, I feel like I sorta know what I'm saying but I could totally be wrong! :)

SUPER hot color, very glam, great for going out! Definite HG for girls night out with that little black dress...

Skin: Dry, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

Show orchid is a very cool, blue-based fuschia that manages to be wearable despite being bright. It's a great spring or summer colour. For reference I'm NC25 with very dark hair (currently with blue hues) and I find it flattering for day and night wear. I'd love to use this on a fair blonde too.

Unfortunately it's not very long lasting, perhaps 2-4 hours without eating. It looks a bit purpley and luminescent in the bullet and applies smoothly to an almost opaque finish that's slightly pearly. It's slippery for a MAC lipstick which means it glides on easily and can be built up for more opaque coverage with a second thin layer. The 'amplified' formula tends to be more vivid and workable, and probably my favourite of the MAC finishes because I find them slightly hydrating. I suffer dry lips but this doesn't accentuate the problem. The only downer is the short Longevity compared to the recent influx of long lasting formulas, but I admit those are usually drying so I'd prefer to stick with this and touch up as needed.

Nice color but these hot pinks are made by every company out there so no need to pay 16.00 for something easily dupeable. I think the only mac lipsticks that cant be duped are ruby woo, vg III, smoked purple, sin and fleshpot. Ive found dupes for just about everything else including myth and i do mean an exact dupe by nyc its a matte beige looks just like myth.

Show Orchid - I know I am onto a good thing with you! If like me you love the idea of a bright lipstick but being fair you have to be careful with choosing your brights as they tend to wash you right out or look overly harsh this could just be the lippie for you.

For reference I am reasonably fair, have green eyes and blonde hair and I have to say this lipstick is a winner for me either worn on its own or layered over a lighter lipstick for a more toned down version of itself. I wear it more often like this as an everyday lipstick, loving the iridescent under-tones and go for the full impact for a night out. - full impact = bright pink with a hint of the undertone.

The shade is actually quite mesmerizing to look at as it is a fuchsia-magenta pink that looks to have an iridescent violet-blue under-tone almost holographic looking. This formula is very easy to apply evenly and smoothly straight from the bullet, comfortable to wear, lasts for hours and wears off to a stain. (doesn't come off in gloopy bits - I can't stand that in a lipstick).

As I mostly wear this brushed over a base lipstick its likely to last me a long while yet but I'll certainly be eyeing up a new one when this one has bitten the dust.

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

If you are looking for a bright fuchsia-pink, this is it baby. A bright pink with blueish undertones, looks so fab when applied. I never in my wildest dreams, thought would ever wear such a bright shade. I started experimented with medium colors before graduating to this bright color. Before this shade or GAB was a nude lippie girl. Love love love this color. Now my nude lippies are being ignored :( As always these MAC don't stay staying power.

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I had wanted to purchase this product for a while before finally picking this up. Really loved the colour. Big disappointment. It's not at all long wearing, transfers on to cups/glasses and seems to always get on my teeth! It's too "slidey" for me and takes a lot of maintenance to keep it looking good. The colour is gorgeous but the severe lack of wear time is a major downer and now I don't bother using this at all. Major disappointment :(

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Show orchid... This is a lovely sort of hot pink color! It has a little bit of blue flecks in it which tend to make it look brighter and more pink it's just so pretty!

It's a very creamy lipstick and I'd say it's fairly pigmented. It's probably medium buildable coverage. Smells like vanilla which I love about MAC lippies.

I know many people compare this to Girl About Town but this color isn't the same honestly. I have both and they're similar in depth but show orchid is more hot pink and blue toned, which makes it look brighter in photos. Girl about town is more of a fuchsia which is a pink/berry shade.

I am quite warm toned and Girl About Town looks soo berry pink on me and kind of dull, not bright at all.

Show orchid is very vivid and bright on me and I LOVE IT. I will swatch the two and post it.

I say if you like GAT you'll love SO since it's a more barbie type of pink

UPDATE 11/2015: I am so over these type of shades, I probably would have had better luck with Violetta (purples sit easier on me than fuchsia). Out of any color in this range, I prefer Girl About Town best. For me, I would drop the color down to 3 or 4 lippies on me, but over all it is a stunning shade and great lipstick so I am leaving it 5 lippies.

ORIGINAL POST: Really pretty blue based hot pink fuchsia color. (NW20, deep soft winter, brown eyes, mauve lips)

I have way too many versions of this shade! I swatched my collection and Show Orchid landed right in the middle of the red toned to-pink toned -to slightly berry toned fuchsia shades. FYI, from most red toned to pink to more purple toned fuchsia's went like this: Revlon Fuchia Fusion, MAC Girl About Town, Show Orchid (very opaque, best texture,) tied with Fuchsia Shock (very sheer/gloss like), Sephora Pantene shade in Radiant Orchid and then Revlon Wild Orchid.

It's an amplified finish, it is gorgeous. I feel guilty because I have so many types of this shade, but this has the best texture of all (tied with MAC GAT). Mental note though, I need to stop buying fuchsia shades ;)

This is one of MAC's pro colors so the only way to purchase it is at a pro ware store (which for me is downtown Chicago) or on line. I purchased wet and wild's fuchsia with blue pearl and UD Cat fight which I like but I wanted to try MAC's. I read reviews and finally bit the bullet and bought off the web site know I could return if it was really awful.

I wasn't disappointed. Yes it is a bolder lipstick but compared to the other two lippies this color is closer to a more subtle color to wear during the day time. I added it over a balm with a lip brush and got more of a wash of color than a creamy. This is an Amplified cream so it's not really a matte but the color is still strong. I have lite/medium skin which tends to be neutral. I can go either yellow or cool toned but I prefer cool. This is more a cool toned lippie but I see it paired with peaches/yellows as well and being very pretty.

Video Reviews & Tutorials