September 1, 2014 | 1569 users online

Shampoo - Nioxin - Smoothing Acitves Moisturizing Cleanser

rated 4 of 5 on 9/28/2012 4:35:00 AM More reviews by Cidalrain

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I recently started using Nioxin for thinning hair again after a decade of not using it. I remember back then I would get compliments on my hair and then I stopped using it for 10 years and compliments stopped as well. I have lost close to 50% of my hair in the last 20 yrs. But it is diffuse throughout my scalp so I don't have any bald spots. Just very thin hair. For the people who buy this with the expectation that it will "grow" your hair back, it won't. It's not supposed to. Very few products can actually grow hair back, like Minoxidil, Propecia. What this does it is removes sebum (oil) build up around the roots and prepares the scalp so that hair has the best environment to grow. Ultimately, have your hair stop falling out or to grow back will take much more than just a shampoo. (wish it was that easy!!) It is a multi-step approach of dietary changes, healthy scalp, and vitamin supplementation like with Biotin. (Or any that you may be deficient in.) I like this shampoo and it is weightless for thin fine hair. It cleans the scalp of sebum without stripping and my hair has bounce to it. For this, it it worth it. But you need to attack hairloss from multiple directions. not just in shampoo.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/11/2008 6:54:00 PM More reviews by lchoe

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am reviewing for the Nioxin Shampoo/Cleanser meant for Fine, Chemically Treated, Noticeably Thinning Hair. I was losing hair (about 15-20%) after having 2 surgeries (1st in Jan and the 2nd in March) and the loss was probably due to the 2 anasthesias w/in 3 months. I tried this shampoo, scalp treatment/conditioner, and root treatment. Although the Nioxin products were "fine", felt soothing, and probably helped, I wasn't really wowed. After finishing the Nioxin bottle, I switched to Frederic Fekkai "More" Scalp-Purifying Shampoo and Conditioner (products also for thinning hair).

I found the Frederic Fekkai products more effective because my hair seemed fuller and with more bounce (although it is not a volume enhancing shampoo) yet helping to stop further loss of hair similar to/ or better than Nioxin. I would recommend to try both lines as they seem to be very good. Nioxin is more soothing and F Fekkai "More" line gives more body and fullness.

I have fine (but lots of it) long (few inches past the shoulder) black silky hair. I am Korean, 42 yrs old and usually use these hair brands: Keratase, Joico, Alterna Hemp, Redken.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/15/2007 6:37:00 PM More reviews by vanbergc

I don't try a lot of new shampoos/conditioners anymore. My scalp can be itchy with crappy shampoos, and my aging hair is falling out. I got a trial kit of Nioxin 5 shampoo/conditioner/treatment, and didn't touch it for months and months. I was very hesitant to use this stuff, especially if it messes with your hormones...although my hormones are pretty messed up anyhow. Well, I braved a test the other day, and boy was I surprised. Nice shampoo (and conditioner)! Didn't make my scalp do anything weird, and left my hair very conditioned and soft. Still way too early to tell about hair regrowth, but we'll see. I've used it several times since, and I like it better each time I use it. Hair stays clean for my two day limit, and it truly leaves my hair in beautiful shape. Very, very pleasant surprise, and wonderful find.