July 23, 2014 | 1117 users online

Treatments (Face) - La Prairie - Advanced Marine Biology Cream

rated 5 of 5 on 1/17/2011 10:03:00 PM More reviews by changja2

I really liked this product and am sad that they discontinued the cream version (with no SPF). I'm using the more liquidy night solution in lieu of the cream and don't find it as emollient.
I guess I could buy some from a non-LP retailer but I'm paranoid about paying up for a fake cream. (Asia is notorious for manufacturing fake luxe face creams.)

rated 3 of 5 on 11/23/2009 3:39:00 PM More reviews by vikavi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Oh, it is so expensive( but I fall in love with this magic cream. I have day cream SPF 20! Actually first it scares me because the texture is kinda heavy, like a clay or something, but when I put little amount on my skin its quickly absorbing and non greasy feeling at all! smells nice, I live in Greece and it reminds me the sea))) Anyway , my pores minimized, better looking color of my skin, usually its grey , but now with this super cream its green )kidding...no, now it is just perfect healthy color)))) recommend it for normal skin without any visible problems)

rated 5 of 5 on 5/20/2009 11:41:00 PM More reviews by huyan

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I use this cream in the mornings. My skin feels soft to the touch after putting the cream. No allergy to this cream.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/26/2009 5:10:00 AM More reviews by stardustedpie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

A little goes a long way.. the SA told me to take a little of it on my fingers, warm it up a little and spread it in massaging, upward movements on my face. I find that that works the best! She says that the cream will actually move from areas of the face with a higher concentration of it to those parts that have a lower concentration. Hence, you don't need a lot of product.

When i put it on my face, it gives me a tightening effect; like i can feel it, firming up my face. I'm nottt kidding. I believe that this product will benefit me in the long run.. i love the smell and how it feels on my face. I only use it at night after the estee lauder advanced night repair protective recovery complex (what a mouthful.)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/13/2009 3:24:00 AM More reviews by Eolo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

For years I considered purchasing a La Prairie moisturizer but always thought they would be too rich for my oily skin. Until I decided to give this one a try. And I love it, it never broke me out in the 2 months I've been using it and actually has anti-inflammatory properties on the few blemishes that popped up because of my stubbornness in using GA's Luminous Silk again.

On a first approach, this gel/cream has a slippery texture that while may not feel luxurious is wonderfully absorbed into my skin and has been doing wonders for my tone and my overall complexion. It's definitely a product where less is more and oddly I never had it flaking or making makeup application more complicated. If anything it's exactly the opposite.

Two things I am not keen on though, one is the fact that it's jar packaging. The smoky glass jar is so heavy that makes traveling rather difficult and second it's the smell. It's heavily scented (true that it goes away in minutes) but I had to get used to the smell at first and I'm not mad about the price but I wasn't expecting miracles considering it's La Prairie. Definitely a product that I will be repurchasing in the future before my cream runs out.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/13/2008 1:28:00 PM More reviews by liontigre

I was really interested in The Advanced Marine Biology range from La Prairie and wanted to give a try to the three products. Out of the three the cream was the one that I liked the least. At first I really liked the texture and colour of that moisturiser but the smell was too powerful for me and quite unpleasant I must say, my skin was also quite sticky just after using it. But I must say that in the morning my skin felt very comfortable and after two weeks my skin tone is more even (I used it as a night treatment only applying it straight after the Advanced Marine Biology Tonic).
I will not buy this product again because, although it made my skin look and feel better, I have no pleasure using it because of the smell.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/1/2008 11:00:00 AM More reviews by helengroom

I love the light feeling of this moisturiser. Really brightens my skin up. Not sure wether it has any thing to do with the moisturiser. But i get a lot fewer spots now. 1 to 2 a month max. Used to be a weekly thing.

I am now on to my second jar. I love it!!!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/8/2008 10:57:00 PM More reviews by ceciliathegreat

As much as I love La Prairie, I don't care much for their Marine Bio.

1. I HATE the smell. Initally I just couldn't stand it, but after a week of continuous usage trying to not waste money lol, I've grown to become "okay" with its smell, but at the same time it made me break out.

2. So now I'm using very little to prevent getting pimples and it does make my skin very plump and hydrated.

3. However, after a couple of hours, my skin feels very oily and gel-like... almost like seaweed lol I don't know if I can describe it as slimy or not, but it's not cool to have an extremely shiny face...

rated 3 of 5 on 1/3/2008 3:19:00 AM More reviews by sisleybuff

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I used to be a HUGE fan of la prairie. Some of their stuff woks great, this however, does not! It's basically la prairie's version of Creme de la Mer, they even claim to "bioferment" the seaweed in this like La Mer. This is a very light, whipped cream that absorbs fairly quickly and leaves the skin feeling comfortable. It's an OK moisturizer, but does nothing special. The scent is awwwwwful! This smells like perfume. Strong perfume. And the scent doesn't fade quickly. I actually got a sinus headache from this! I wish la prairie didn't but perfume in everything! Some of their stuff smells great (like Cellular Radiance cream) while others smell like old lady perfume. I would absolutely LOVE the Skin Caviar cream if it didn't smell like Chanel No. 5!!!!

rated 3 of 5 on 10/22/2007 9:20:00 PM More reviews by stackedgoddess

I went to Neiman's to test the Skin Caviar foundation. The MA used this cream and the Desensitizer Serum to prep my skin before applying the foundation. I was also given a few samples of this cream to take home, since I was reluctant to purchase for $175.00 per jar. Subsequently, I've used it three times.

Scent is quite strong, in my opinion. Noticeable marine/floral that faded after wearing for 3-4 hours. As I hate wearing any strong scents (absolutely no perfume), I found this slightly bothersome and irritating to my nose.

Consistency is gel like, spreads clear across the face. However, there's noticeable clumping and peeling of the cream if you take more than 1 or 2 passes of the product on your face. I noticed this in the store and mentioned it to the MA, but she stated that was my dry skin and that I needed to exfoliate. I tried this again after exfoliation, but it still clumped/peeled. On the third attempt, I also tried waiting 30-45 minutes after application of the cream before applying makeup so it could absorb. Yet again, it clumped and made makeup application a mess, so I determine this to be a characteristic of the cream.

Speaking of absorption - this is indeed more of an overnight treatment than a daily moisturizer. It takes several hours to fully absorb into the skin, which makes it ideal for an overnight moisturizer if you'd prefer something not quite as heavy like Creme de la Mer, though your face will feel sticky until the next morning.

I experienced no noticeable skin irritation, which is important as I have mild acneaic rosocea and prone to a few papular break outs. Haven't used this cream enough times to tell whether it causes breakouts, however the Finacea I use to combat breakouts and rednesss could be preventing them. I didn't notice any positive or negative improvement to my complexion, so this gets an average rating.

Likely won't be buying this in the future. I noticed immediately that Shu Uemura Depsea Moisture Replenishing cream is nearly identical in feel, consistency, packaging, marketing and scent to this one, but with quicker absorption and a much more palatable price of $38.00 per jar.