OPI Catherine the Grape

4.4

on 2/8/2014 10:59:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Gorgeous vintage polish. Catherine The Grape was released several years back and was limited edition but it is still readily available on line for purchase. However, the price is inflated, so I ended up paying $18 for my bottle including shipping. This is a beautiful dusty plum polish and has a very vintage nostalgic feel and look to it. The shade is very flattering to my fair skin and this is a warm color. I have had this on for a week now and it has worn wonderfully without chipping, fading, and minimal tip wear. This has a special sleeve on the cap stating that this has a new pro wide brush, and while it is not as big as the professional style brushes in the Wet n' Wild Megalast line, it didn't look any different from the brush in the new OPI polishes I have that are current. I was able to get my pinkies painted in only 1 stroke and most others in only 2. The formula on this was a little thin at first and the first coat goes on much more sheer than I was expecting but the second coat was all it needed for full opacity and a beautiful rich color. In the bottle this looks very dusty and plum with gold. On the nail it dries a bit darker and a burgandy color and while the gold is still present it's not as apparent. I have had this on almost a week now and I am so in love with this polish. I've had compliments on the beautiful color. I don't regret paying nearly $20 for this now and it was a Christmas gift anyway so why not splurge? I am going to get many wonderful manicures from this one bottle. Love.

on 2/2/2013 11:38:00 AM

Great colour. Suits my pale skin. Two coats to reach colour as appears in bottle. Good staying power. Currently my favourite purple.

on 11/10/2011 12:10:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Such a pretty color! I have warm-toned skin and purple isn't typically a color that works well for me. Catherine the Grape is a darker purple with slight warm shimmer. This color is from OPI's 2007 fall/winter Russian collection. OPI describes this as "a royally grand shade of wine". I found it easier to apply than other OPI polishes, for some reason.

on 10/29/2011 2:02:00 PM

Catherine The Grape is so awesome that she is in my list for my favorite top 10 lacquers of all time!
She was from the 2007 Russian Collection and has sadly been discontinued for awhile now.
Though, I just checked(cuz I am buying a back-up) and she can still be readily found on Ebay and most are still priced right around retail of $8.00 or so.Yay!
I bought mine there, around 2 years ago, and it instantly became of my true loves!

My bottle of Catherine has the PERFECT FORMULA.
The brush is not like some of OPI's older bushy Pro Wide brushes. Its actually great...just like the nowadays brushes.

She is not streaky....the first coat is solid and therefore is nicely pigmented.
The formula literally spreads on like smooth warmed butter!
If your a pro, 1 good medium coat... on top of a basecoat, could be enough.
It just takes 2 quick and easy peasy coats for a flawless mani! Yay!...Cuz with 2 boys, hubby, 2 lap dogs and a 3 story house, that's what I expect out of a lacquer and is all I have time for. ;)

The color is not really a real bluish "grape" purple, as in the name.
It actually looks like 2 colors in 1.....(though not as fascinating as say a real duo chrome like Nubars Peacock Feathers or OPI's Glacier Bay Blues...it just has that same characteristic)
On my fair Irish/German skin it looks like a......
"Burgandy with Grape" and a satin finish(the shimmers actually blend into it and almost becomes a creme)
Then it can also look more like a "Muted Smokey Grape" in certain lightings and from different angles.

When comparing it to my other love(which also has the perfect 1-2 coat formula)OPI's "Diva Of Geneva".....Catherine really does look like a truer purple and becomes a lot more grape like.

So, if you are an OPI or a big purple lacquer fan/lover, like me.....then hurry and go grab you one right now! You won't regret it!

Th

on 2/18/2011 7:00:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Definitely the prettiest purple color that I've ever seen for a pedicure! I can't stop staring at my nails when I use this, and it looks great with my fair skin. It's really plummy, and I'm so glad it doesn't have any black undertones. Perfect shade, you really must try it!

on 9/14/2010 4:15:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I adore this nail polish. The color is so beautiful! It changes from dusty grape to reddish plum on me, depending on light. Microshimmer gives it depth and elegance. Pictures don't show it's beauty.

on 8/8/2010 12:35:00 AM

This color is so perfect for a purple!!! Its soo adprable for winter and matches everythingg!!! If you want a gorgeous plum purple then go get this color!! It is so trendy too!!!

on 6/1/2010 11:52:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

Looking for a great classy purple with warm shimmer? This is it. Looks great and not trendy, too young, or passe. Love it! I always get so many compliments when I wear this color. Third to my french manicure and red nails, it's my fave. Took one lippie off because it's not my Holy Grail nail polish.

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Brown, Other, Fine

OPIs Catherine the Grape is the same color as a plum or a dark colored grape. It has a plum tone to it with hints of shimmery pink in it. It's a very beautiful color. It reminds me of MACs e/s color in twinks. It's a color that definitely looks better on than it does in the bottle.

on 4/13/2009 7:23:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

In the bottle this one doesn't really look that special - just another plum shade - but on the nails it really surprised me. A lovely rich dark purple/brown shade, which flashes gold and bronze.
I like this one very much and the application and wear were both absolutely excellent. It dried really fast and although mauve-y tones don't usually suit me at all I was pleasantly surprised with the richness of this and is definitely one I'll be returning to.

Top Rated OPI Products