July 31, 2014 | 2006 users online

Fragrances - Parfums MDCI - FK3 Enlevement au Serail

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2012 8:26:00 AM More reviews by mysterious_scent

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Enlevement au Serail, "The Abduction from the Seraglio", is the name of an opera composed by Mozart. I'd classify it as floral oriental rather than chypre. It opens with a cloud of mixed spicy florals, mainly ylang-ylang, jasmine sambac and rose to my nose, and woody notes with a touch of green. After 30 minutes, it settles into a warm, powdery, creamy skin scent with a touch of sweetness. I smell a faint patchouli in the drydown but it's very rounded and mixed very well with other notes such as sandalwood and vanilla.

Low sillage and medium longevity.

The bottle is beautify, easily ranked in the top 3 of my favorite bottle designs.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/9/2011 11:19:00 PM More reviews by chrystelica

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is probably just my skin chemistry that amplifies patchouli and oakmoss, and makes it into a heavy, oppressive monster of a mess. So similar was this to how Mitsouko smells on me, I initially thought I had been given the wrong sample by mistake. The bright orange color made me feel confident that EaS, while different in appearance from Mitsy, is close enough in scent to be a dupe...

Mitsouko smells like a train wreck on me, like I smeared some black grease paint on myself and went into an opera and I'm wearing the wrong clothes for the event, all black like I'm in mourning with warpaint on.

Sadly, I didn't get a whiff of jasmine, ylang, or tuberose; no doubt that would have made this more of a lively experience.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/27/2010 1:59:00 PM More reviews by msm4slm

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Enlevement au Serail...okay where do I start? The packaging: absolutely over the top!! I would love one of the $600 bottles with the bisque stoppers! The plain ($235) bottles are also very attractive. Five stars for packaging, absolutely! The fragrance itself is also gorgeous. It smells similar to, but better than, many vintage classics. It is rich and elegant, though not particularly innovative. I thought it smelled similar to Amouage Jubilation 25, though smelled side by side the Enlevement seems thin. Though I might ask for this as a special gift because I am a perfume collector, I don't know if I'd buy this myself due to the price. Given Enlevement's poor lasting power, I think the Amouage is a better choice in this genre. I take that back--I've been using them both several days, and they are distinct. The 25 is more sensual, and the Enlevement more classic and just slightly sweeter, though neither are really "sweet" fragrances. Definitely a quality perfume and well worth sampling. More an evening fragrance.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/13/2009 2:58:00 PM More reviews by freegracer

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Enlevement au Serail (FK3) is one of the most stunning, elegant, drop-dead gorgeous scents to come down the pike in years. Huge shout-outs to Claude Marchal and Francis Kurkdjian for this beautiful creation. It is like a rich Baroque tapestry with opulent colors and textures. The opening reminds me of the original Rochas Femme, only cleaned up a bit. This is the indolic jasmine part, but this indolic jasmine doesn't have the diaper note that it does in many fragrances. Far from it. The other notes I smell are mandarin, some rose, very subtle and well done peach, and finally, a beautifully matched patchouli-sandalwood combination in the base notes. There's not a lot of gymnastic development to the fragrance, in my experience. After the opening, it's fairly linear. In addition, I find the lasting power to be quite good. Technicallly, Enlevement is classified as an oriental. It is, but it also dips its toes into the chypre area. Regardless, it's one of those timeless scents that never smells dated but always smells feminine and totally unlike the scents the "you know" generation seems to wear endlessly.

If Kay Francis, that wonderful but under-known and under-appreciated actress who hit her stride in the early '30s, were alive today, I hope she'd wear this fragrance. Her warm, sultry, brunette beauty would be a perfect match for Enlevement au Serail.

5 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2009 8:32:00 PM More reviews by KelseyP

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is a lovely scent to start, and I won't get into all the notes as that is done beautifully below. However, what starts as a creamy indolic peachy jasmine that I might grow to love fades, rather quickly, in a pale sheen of Burt's bees baby bee dusting powder. I imagine on the right chemistry this might have a better evolution, but to me the exorbitant price is not worth the investigation.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2009 5:23:00 PM More reviews by eurodivas

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

This fragrance left me with nothing but disappointment, anger, enttaeuschung!! As this is French, I could only scream MON DIEU where is it? I was left wondering why this fragrance gets such good reviews! I will tell you why. The price ----- SNOBB EFFECT.

Regardless of the very wondeful and long winded discription on a most famous website with notes that go on forever, there is no trace of the fragrance left after one hour. I am not sure how people are able to write such great reviews as there is nothing left to enjoy or review after a very short period of wear. Yes upon application this fragrance is wonderful, floral and heavenly but for that price I expected it to stick around a bit longer. Imagine a fragrance which costs hundreds of Euros and you cannot smell it on your wrist after 1 hour. And I have allowed others close to me to try this.

I may get angry e-mails about this review such as she did not even write about the notes etc. But I will not wast the time to do this for a fragrance which has the life span of 45 minutes. The 1 lippie is for the nice PURE Crystal bottle and the first 5 minutes of enjoyment.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/6/2009 1:26:00 PM More reviews by BasiaS

This is an amazing, skanky white floral with hints of sweet apricot on top and a rich, earthy-woody base. Along with Invasion Barbare, this is my very favorite of the MDCI line. The frangrance has a very strong indolic jasmine note but eventually it quiets down to a rich, creamy patch-vetiver base with hints of leather. This classic composition reminds me of the glorious fragrances from the 50s; it is rich but never gets too heavy. Gorgeous! Kudos to Francis Kurkdjian for creating this beautiful scent, he's definitely going to be on my radar from now on. Notes: bergamot, mandarin, ylang-ylang, jasmine sambac, tuberose, rose, wallflower, patchouli, sandalwood, vanilla and vetiver.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/2/2008 2:31:00 PM More reviews by tessture

"Bergamot, Italian mandarin, ylang-ylang, jasmine sambac, tuberose, Turkish rose, wallflower, patchouli, Indian sandalwood, vanilla and Haitian Vetiver" Starts lovely, expensive floral. Dry down has a bodyish smell, not quite clean. Ends with peachy, coconut incense. Nice at end, but fades almost totally away, very very faint.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/24/2007 12:35:00 PM More reviews by pandacat

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This scent is a masterpiece. I have shelves full of bottles, decants and samples of fragrances that I admire, but this is the fragrance I have been looking for all along. As the previous poster said, this isn't something to be carelessly spritzed on in the morning, it truly is a jewel for the evening. It has a velvety texture and a soft darkness that draws you in deeper and deeper. Many modern fragrances that are marketed as elegant, evening fragrances are loud, harsh and obvious by comparison. This is an elegance that just is and doesn't have to shout about it. Bois de Jasmin's review says that it makes one feel like a princess in a Tolstoy novel. I think that's a perfect description, except this isn't the young and flighty beauty of Princess Kitty, but rather the deeper beauty of Anna Karenina. The "refill" bottle available from Luckyscent is a limoges version of the more expensive crystal bottle. It's still a gorgeous bottle at a more reasonable price. It is expensive, but in my mind, well worth every penny.