April 16, 2014 | 1386 users online

Bronzers - Christian Dior - Bronze Sun Couture palette #002

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2008 12:02:00 AM More reviews by AL123

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I wasn't particularly struck by this product until I saw a woman using it on the NYC subway; she deftly transformed herself from pale to glam using the bronzer, and was able to quickly apply her other makeup using the large mirror. I tried it out at Sephora, and realized it's very versatile because it can be 1) swirled together to create a lovely natural bronze look or 2) used separately for contouring and blush. The unusually large mirror is excellent for applying makeup on the go, especially when I'm leaving the office. In a pinch, I've even used the lightest color as an eyeshadow. In fact, I now carry this product as a staple in my makeup bag along with mascara and lipstick. I think it's a great value. The only downside is that the powders are showing some cracks, which might be a product/packaging limitation (I think talc is the first ingredient).

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/1/2007 9:53:00 AM More reviews by northender

Sun Couture #002 calls itself "summer makeup for face & lips SPF 20" - whether the SPF is of any use whatsoever is debatable unless you paint your face with the powder , but nice touch, Dior, in giving us an extra nudge towards splurging on this $50 palette. I ended up getting it for $35 by opening a Saks card and getting a FF discount, and $35 is bearable for this product - a gorgeous golden brown plastic compact, with a large, high quality mirror and a velvet pouch, contains a large powder pan divided into three shades - 1) a sparkly, shimmery reddish terracotta bronzer-blush; 2) a tiny strip of vanilla white highlighter that looks like chalk; and 3) sparkly shimmery golden tan bronzer. When applied lightly, the shimmer isn't as apparent on your face as it is in the pan - which is a huge plus for me. There are two ways that I use the palette - when I am in a rush, I just swirl all three colors onto my bronzer brush, quickly tap the powder onto cheeks, forehead, jawline. The result on my DDD/GGG skin is a nice rosy glow. I also use it to contour - I use the tan bronzer to contour, the terracotta color as blush, and then I grab an eyeshadow brush and paint the highlighter on my cheekbones and blend it. Dior light colors are the only ones that don't "chalk out" on my skin. You need travel size brushes to contour - otherwise you can't use each color separately. Oh yeah, this palette also comes with a pink lipgloss that gives me a "come hither" pout that I don't quite need for my boring life but I blot blot blot and use it as lip balm. I wish they'd just skipped the gloss but I guess that's what makes it a "palette" rather than just powder. Whatever - wish they'd just thrown in a brush - double ended, please. As for it being "summer makeup", I think it works best for me on a winter or fall day when my skin looks dull and tired and I need a pick me up to make me look alive. The bright blush really does give you a "just came in from the cold" flush that IMO, would look quite unnatural in summer. It's a nice product and more versatile than it looks - but I'd buy it again for the first time but I doubt I'd ever repurchase - it's not an everyday palette. The terracotta color doesn't look as bright on as it does on the pan, but then again, I'm a DDD/GGG. I could see it making a PPP look like s/he has a clown face unless s/he just swirls all the colors together - but then again, it is Halloween today. EDIT JINE 2008: I now use this everyday to counteract the "kabuki" effect of my sunscreen. I don't know how I lived without it. Glow sans shimmer. I love Dior!!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/13/2007 10:55:00 PM More reviews by west58

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This product is called a bronzer but I think of it as a multi-segment blush. It's a single compact that has 4 blush colors all in a contiguous row: a warm beige, a pinky-terracotta, a lighter-but-not-light coral, and a pinkish highlighter. The packaging is simply gorgeous -- it's a single rectangular compact made of a glossy brownish material that has some transparent depth and comes with a slip case -- and includes a nice brush. The textures are very fine and the colors are substantial enough that you could either use each individually or else sweep a brush along two or more.

I just had a make-up lesson with a very knowing and big-deal-experienced make-up artist and this was a product she recommended to use on my very pale-with-slight-yellow-undertone skin; she had me use it by sweeping a blush brush along all four colors and applying it that way. As another has written, this would be great to travel with because of its versatility. The density of the color can vary depending upon how much product you put on your brush, going from a faint coral color to an intense coral-pink blush. I bought mine at Sephona where they said they had trouble getting it but now have it in stock, as well as a second version of it in a slightly lighter mix of colors.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/7/2007 3:30:00 AM More reviews by Aneesa

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this palette (especially for travelling). The lighter shades can be used individually as eye shadow and highlighters. The bronzer is lovely - the slight hint of red makes it more glam than the usual neutral bronzers. Also, there is a fair bit of shimmer is powders, and this means that the look is definately more "made up" rather than natural. The 001 Palette was only available in Asia, and contained lighter shades - including a pale pale pink, darker pink, bronze and a milky pinky gloss (which surprisingly worked very well). I managed to get one off Ebay and I'm glad I did. It gives a much more natural finish than the 002 palette, but given my colouring, the 002 is probably better. For ref: Dark hair, brown eyes, MAC NC35, BB4.5

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2007 3:57:00 PM More reviews by Aligirl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

Wasn't entirely sure weither this should be under bronzers or palettes but since the bronzer is the main focus,this category won out.Bronzer consists of 3 semi shimmery(not over the top) shades.. a Medium red touched terracotta,a light golden based beige and a medium golden carmel.the colors worried me at first.I'm NC15ish so I thought for sure it would leave me looking super scary.Started off trying to apply it with a skunk brush but the look was unnatural. what you really need is a big ,fluffy semi firm brush(NARS bronzer) and you swirl it threw all 3 colors then you buff the crap out of it..LOL and the blended shades give the most realistic sunkissed look I've ever gotten from a bronzer and I'm sure I've said something similar about few different bronzers but I really do mean it this time:P Then there's the lipgloss..or lipstick..Doesn't say what it's supposed to be..It's this natural mix of bronzey browned pink w/ some slight red undertones that is perfect when paired with the bronzer.The texture and pigment are more like a lipstick and not a gloss.And if that wasn't good enough,the palette contains SPF20.My only complaints are that 1.It's a Limited Edition item and 2.it's $55 which I would normally think was totally ridiculous if I didn't love it so much***Update** Didn't realize until it was pointed out to me that as the day goes on,even with a light had the shade oxidizes and turns orange on me:( so sad..Such a great color***