L.A. Colors 12 palette e/s in traditional

Price: $

Price: $

on 8/29/2015 1:52:00 AM

This product review is for the older packaging and formula. The older packaging could still be found in some dollar stores in the GTA.

This palette contains 12 earth toned colours (nude-pinks, browns, beiges and plums). The pallete is aptly named as they are very "traditional" colours. Very safe and office/work-friendly.
It has faint shimmers and some shades could pass as mattes. They don't swatch too well on bare, dry skin but with a base or primer the colours show up on skin fairly well.
They are not the most pigmented shadows and do tend to be a little chalky. I have light skin tone and the colours show decently on me.

One thing I should mention is that this formulation is scented. It smells like a bit like vintage-y baby powder. It could be very off putting for many people but maybe some people will like it? (my sister loves it!)

I bought it for $2.25 CAN. So price wise it's great!

I recommend this product for people who loves natural nude eyeshadow on a budget.

on 7/24/2015 10:48:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other

Mine is in the longer slimmer more rectangular packaging (I uploaded a pic because I'm not sure if the formula's vary). This looked like a great mix of neutrals for everyday wear, and a good mix of light and deeper browns, which is great for variety. I use the darkest brown as a liner shadow, and it makes my blue eyes pop. The shadows apply smoothly and are nicely pigmented, and surprisingly wear a long time, especially when applied wet or over some kind of eyelid base. Not bad at all for only $1!

on 3/29/2015 10:29:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This is a nice inexpensive eyeshadow palette. I picked mine up at the Dollar Tree for one dollar. The palette is a mix of different browns and one white shade. I like that some of the shades are cooler toned browns. The texture is really soft, so I recommend using a primer first. (FYI: I like Elf Sheer Primer). This helps you avoid eye shadow fallout and makes the pigmentation stronger. These definitely aren't high end eye shadows, but I've paid 7 times as much for drugstore shadows that weren't as good. I would repurchase.

on 12/15/2014 10:33:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I picked this up at family dollar, and while checking out, my phone was stolen. I can't hold that to the palettes account, but still, looking at this thing is a little bittersweet.

I mean seriously....

L.A colors palette- $1.50
Replacement phone- $150

That was the price I paid to attain this little plastic container of mediocre eyeshadows. What a sick joke.

Anyway, I picked this up especially to write a review about! This is for one reason, and one reason only- they reformulated, and repackaged!!

Lately L.A. colors has been upping their makeup game. I feel like they are moving up in the cosmetic industry, however their products still remain hit and miss. This palette is unfortunately a miss....but come on, it's like a dollar, so I can't really complain that much.

The new packaging is nothing special, just a little smaller and thinner. Nothing spectacular, but still somewhat better. The new formulation however, leaves a lot to be desired!

Don't get me wrong, some shades are really great, but they all have a sheen or shimmer. In the old palette, there were some satin mattes, which were a great addition. In this new palette, every single shade has a noticable sheen. It's not a huge deal I guess, but if you want to create a look with this one palette, a couple mattes will definitely be necessary, so I always have to add a couple shades in from other palettes. This is a downside for me, because with 12 different shades, you should be able to create a look with the one palette and nothing else.

Another thing is the pigmentation- or should I say the lack thereof. And yes, I KNOW they are only a dollar, so it wouldn't be that big of a deal, but the fact is, the old formula had better pigmentation. The fact that this new formula is a downgrade is such a dissapointment. I had really great hopes, I mean they have those fabulous new eyeshadow pencils, and the trios are so good, and the old version of this was pretty good, so I figured it would just get better. Oh well..

Anyway I have attached some photos of the pallete itself and swatches. Keep in mind, some of these I went over the swatches twice so you could see them. Hopefully this helped you, because I paid $151.50 to write this review for you people, technically.

If you want to see the swatches, just click the "continued" link down below :)

continued >>

on 11/9/2014 6:55:00 PM

This is a great eyeshadow palette. The colors are nice and neutral and they have good pigmentation. I use one of the shadows as a brow powder, another as an eyeshadow and a third as an eyeliner with a wet brush.

on 11/5/2014 6:13:00 PM

packaging is great, price is even better, but the eyeshadows are meh. they have medium-ish pigmentation, but are build-able. colors are great!

on 9/26/2014 8:28:00 PM

I picked up two of these palettes at Dollar Tree. I figured they had to be junk, but was in a mood to try something new, and for a buck a piece? Why not? I'm really quite shocked at how much I actually like them. This one is a great mix of brown tones. Decent amount of pigmentation, go on pretty smoothly, look very pretty on. I have extremely oily lids, so primer is a must with any shadow. Is this the highest quality shadow? No, but it's surprisingly good for the price, and especially with the other palettes, a good way to have some fun and try some different colors.

on 4/17/2014 7:53:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

49 cents at walgreens on sale!! I didn't know that walgreens carried LA Colors, as I think these may be left over Xmas stock. I basically will only wear brown or white eyeshadow (once in awhile other colors like black but neutral browns are my go-to), so these colors are totally in my wheelhouse & I actually didn't have much for duplicates as these shades aren't frosty or glittery & that's mostly what I have. This is a really good palette. The colors have good staying power, I wear them over LA Colors eyelid primer. Are they UD, Clinique, EL, VS, etc quality? NO! But very nice for DS makeup, I will def repurchase. I wear each shade by itself mostly. They are quite pigmented & I am a big LA Colors fan in general. For a buck I don't think ppl will be disappointed. You could wear these day or night any occasion really. I wear them w black liquid eyeliner & black mascara. (Short story) My father bought me my 1st Traditional palette, used up, replaced on a whim but glad I did replace because my father has good taste in makeup colors! So sentimental value here. But YES go get this palette! I wouldn't bother with the other palettes because I thought the other colors were garish. But i will always keep one of this palette around.

on 4/5/2014 9:25:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I like it but really need a good primer under as i have oily skin. I got the supernatural palette with greenish grey shades. Those are the only kind of colours i wear so i like it.

on 10/2/2013 4:40:00 PM

You simply cannot beat the price. I paid under $1 for this and after shoving it in a drawer for the summer I pulled it out to use the colors for base colors for my lid. They blend well, go great with the shadows that I have in my collection and have saved me a bunch of money on individual shades that I would need for lids and transition colors to make the perfect smokey eye with what I already own.

Just a ton of fun for under a buck!

Top Rated L.A. Colors Products