October 1, 2014 | 2003 users online

Fragrances - New Dana Perfumes - Toujours Moi

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/3/2014 4:11:00 AM More reviews by rasputin2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Silver, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Green

Like the "poor woman's HABANITA", perhaps. Fruit, booze, flowers, spices, balsams and woods meld into a nostalgic, bold brew leaning surprisingly into the masculine. Autumnal perhaps, smells a deep amber color. Not as seductive/musky as TABU... more noble and imperial; not nearly as vanilla-sweet as SHALIMAR; TM is more about nutmeg, while L'ORIGAN is about clove/carnation. With development on the skin, it reveals itself to be more complex than it initially seems. In far drydown, it's a glowing powdery/spicy pomander, surprisingly erotic and Art Deco stylish, like a flapper wearing only a rabbit-fur skirt. A surprising castoreum note in the base gives the whole scent an old-school swank and heft. Drugstore stuff, but it has nothing to be ashamed of at all: amazingly rich, nuanced, natural, good-smelling and nostalgic. [What bestows the somewhat vinegar-like note to the midrange? Benzoin. Pure natural gum benzoin smells vanilla-like, but also slightly vinegar-sour.]

TETE: Aldehydes, cognac, bergamot, peach, plum, petitgrain, lemon, raspberry, almond, thyme;
COEUR: Lavender, nutmeg, lilac, ylang-ylang, rose, geranium, clove, jasmin, benzoin, hay;
FOND: Amber, tonka, sandalwood, vetiver, patchouly, oakmoss, vanilla, castoreum.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2013 11:13:00 AM More reviews by violette

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is a great drugstore classic... IF you haven't already smelled/owned Molinard's Habanita. Unfortunately, I've been spoiled rotten by Habanita & when I finally blind-bought Toujours Moi last year after coveting it for so long, needless to say, I was rather disappointed. Yes, they bear a strong resemblance to each other indeed -- both debuted in 1921 (TM was first, of course, produced by Corday before Dana bought the manufacturing rights in 1923), both are woody orientals, with Habanita perfecting the recipe further by adding a good dose of femme fatale sex appeal. Plus, Habanita has that delicious pipe tobacco/leather accord I love, minus the sour vinegar-like note in TM which I'm not very fond of (what note or combination of notes produce that vinegar effect, I wonder?). The longevity is ASTOUNDING (more than 12 hours on my skin) & this is a cologne! Really great value for money.

*From Michael Edwards:

Fragrance Family: Rich Woody Oriental

Notes:
Top: Lavender, Bergamot, Cinnamon, Pimento (Allspice)
Heart: Ylang-ylang, Jasmine, Lily of the Valley (Muguet)
Base: Vanilla, Musk, Sandalwood

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/29/2012 11:23:00 AM More reviews by Zanita27

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

If you dont like vintage spicy, oriental with the scent of sandalwood and patchouli then this isnt for you. It isnt fruity and has slight florals to it but i love it. Its warm and i love thst its been around since the 20s. i think ill keep this in rotation.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/28/2012 11:07:00 AM More reviews by kayben

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This scent reminds me of the old style drug stores that had a soda fountain on one side. There's a blast of syrupy cola, then a medicinal vicks vapor rub in the back near the pharmacy, and finally talcum powder in the baby aisle.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2012 2:06:00 PM More reviews by indiawilkes

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

One day I smelled this on a wealthy lady and inquired the name of her fragrance . She answered "Tojours Moi ". That jogged my memory of a perfume on my grandmother's old vanity . I went and bought a bottle and decided this is a classic that is worth far more than the meager price it fetches . This is spicy , slightly sweet , powdery in a vintage retro style , and totally femonine. It has very good lasting power and is nice for any season or occasion . A very warm and spicy classic that is a fabulous value !

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 5/24/2012 6:02:00 AM More reviews by eatmyshort

I was shocked when I saw my grandma's perfume rated so high at MUA. I love you grandma, but Joujours Moi was too heavy and strong. It's a very masculine perfumeI am sorry but smelling like an astray, smoke or tobacco is not a turn on. There is a reason why smoking has been banned in many public places. Yes there are some resemblance between Toujours Moi and Shalimar. They both are heavy, strong, masculine, macho, synthetic , chemical , acrid, jolted and bringing shock to your system. However, it seems like there are many fans of this fragrance so I hope one day in the distant future when my senses become dull through the ages, I might come to appreciate this fragrance. My Grandma loves this fragrance. This is her holy grail scent and she has never deviated away from it. She celebrated her 93 years young birthdate last year. She was a sweet gentle soul. RIP grandma just joined the angels in heaven this year. My grandfather was a heavy ephysema afflicted smoker and it could explain why she was attracted to the fragrant. Second hand smoking does a lot to you. It might be right for some people, But for now, it's just too overwhelming for my system

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/24/2012 5:16:00 AM More reviews by Shanplum

Honey, bees-wax candle, powdery syrupy cola, vanilla, incense and spice - a hint of tobacco and sexy smoky. This is a divine fragrance on the right person and the right season (winter). In the line of shalimar and tabu, even a bit of Obsession in there but different in it's own right. If you shy away anything remotely "Old lady" or oriental this is not for you! Super strong for a cologne formulation. I imagine there are very few 27 year olds like myself wearing this stuff and I love it for that very reason a unique classic. A bargain price if you can still find it that is! Mine is a vintage ebay purchase and I hope to enjoy it for years to come.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/13/2012 8:33:00 PM More reviews by beaglebaileysmom

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Okay, I'm giving this a 4...not because I like it in the slightest, but because I can appreciate that it does not deserve less. The fault is all mine for buying something that reviewers described as "smells like Shalimar." It does. And that's not a good thing at all, IMO. Definitely not hip...very old school and heavy. And that sounded great! But I'm not up to it. I wish I could love this. Codeblue...I loved your review! And since you are completely correct, I will humbly and shamefully tuck my tail now and "go away." Will throw this one in the back of the closet and pull it out years from now...maybe someday I'll be worthy.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/28/2011 6:22:00 PM More reviews by greenreed

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Seems like Shalimar, but averages to 2 dollars as part of a gift set. I am becoming a top note freak. Something smells ADDICTIVELY, DELICIOUSLY like syrupy cola in a good way when I first apply...then the mix levels off to the familiar powder. I love this for what it is, and tho it does not suit me to wear to work, or as a signature, I could see my self sitting home reading or snuggling into this on a snowy day. Then I could reapply to get that top note without overpowering anyone.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/3/2011 1:52:00 AM More reviews by mich52331

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

This soft, very powdery oriental echoes something edible, like anise, to my nose. In my opinion, it's slightly sweeter than Habanita though they're both smoky. Some reviewers compare to l'Heure Bleue. While I find them different, they're both chic and powdery.

The silage and lasting power are excellent on me. As for vintage vs. current, I haven't compared. My mom sniffed the new version on my wrist and said it smells the same as she remembers from the 60's and 70's.

I got a little bottle as part of a $10 Dana gift set. After Christmas, I also got a set of two bottles---a 4 oz and a 1 oz---for only $5!

I recommend this sophisticated fragrance for ladies of all ages and budgets.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No