Kanebo KATE Mascara Base S Volume Long

on 6/19/2010 11:52:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

All I can say is I like this even better than Shiseido's mascara base, it does everything Shiseido does but makes your lashes EVEN LONGER. That alone should have people running to ebay or Asia to buy it. :) I bought mine on Ebay for no more than 15 bucks, including shipping, so it is cheaper than Shiseido, and damn well worth it!

on 10/25/2009 11:55:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Great overall mascara base if you want some length (because of the fibers) and something to hold your curled lashes in place when you use washable mascara. I use this under Maybelline's Great Lash in Royal Blue and my lashes turn out long, curled, and striking blue! The formulation is a clear gel with white fibers in it so it's not that hard to cover up as opposed to straight up white colored mascara bases. The only con is that it works with some mascaras and doesn't with others. Mascaras that I've tried that look like a mess with it are mostly Rimmel mascaras. I bought this for $14.50 USD (that's with shipping, people!) from adambeauty.com . Not bad for an oversea mascara base. It's a cheaper alternative to the Shiseido mascara base.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

I like this.
Holds Curl
Almost transparent- translucent grayish colour
It sorta makes my mascara clump and my eyelashes go all spiky sometimes.
Um...thats about it. I would recommend it, the brush is good for asian eyes, slim.

***This review contains pics of the product. Please click on continued to view the formatted version incl. pic(s)***
Kate is truly one of my favorite Japanese makeup brands so when they released their new Mascara Base S I couldn't resist getting it.

I think that their original mascara base was already great but their revamped version is even better!

The first improvement is the packaging. While the original version came in a very simple round white tube the new one is square and has a translucent gray handle to which the brush is attached. The brush is now in a spiral-shape meant to spread the mascara base evenly.

The other change is that the new mascara base is supposedly transparent (it has a grayish color to it though). I really prefer transparent mascara bases (like Lavshuca and Sonia Rykiel) because mascara tends to look gray over the pure white ones. To me, despite the grayish color this base has, it's transparent though since mascara goes on a true black over this.

Mascara Base S contains quite a lot of fibres so it might be irritating for contact-lens wearers.

When using this I really notice more length and volume. And it holds my curl soooo well! Much better than MM's new mascara base IMO!

I don't have any problems with irritations when using this product. It removes easily with my dual-phase eye makeup remover (I always use waterproof mascaras).

Mascara Base S retails for 1575 Yen for about 6.8 grams. It's definitely worth the price!

continued >>