November 26, 2014 | 1104 users online

Eyes - MAC - Paint Pot in Rubenesque

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2014 6:21:00 PM More reviews by kbam17

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Rubenesque is a close runner up for MAC Painterly in terms of frequency of use. It's a golden peach duochrome shimmer that really does a lot of the heavy lifting for you. It can be a bit difficult to blend out the edges sometimes, but I just use MAC Arena in the crease and it looks seamless. Best application method I've found includes patting and blending across the lid with a fluffy brush. You will likely need to use a primer underneath to keep it from creasing.

Pros:
* lovely, complex shimmer
* a great single shadow look
* brings warmth and depth to shadows applied on top
* sheer but buildable
* creamy application
* very generous amount of product
* long-lasting

Cons:
* needs primer
* needs to be stored upside-down to stay creamy
* edges can be difficult to blend out

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2014 8:46:00 AM More reviews by 2fab4ux

I've had this since I was a young teen and it was the first MAC product I have bought and can I just say, it is the quickest thing to apply when you're in a rush. It's not highly pigmented but I like it that way so I don't have the problem of putting TOO much which is common when I'm in a rush (Smearing the product on aha...)

I love using it under eyeshadows to warm them up. I find that it lasts all day and doesn't need a primer underneath. It is harder to blend out so you have to work quick with it but because it is so sheer, it doesn't appear like a straight line, if you get me.

I do like the packaging but it is pretty unsanitary but it's awesome for, as I said, when you're pressed for time.

The price here in Australia is $35 but it lasts such a long time it's insane.

I love this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/26/2014 4:15:00 PM More reviews by GirlyRunnerGirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I just got this. I tried bare study on but found the color too sparkly and washed out my olive skin tone. This ok the other hand makes my blue eyes pop and looks pretty natural. I use it with dip down or rich ground fluid line eyeliner. Great everyday look. Also doesn't crease with a primer under it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/23/2014 11:21:00 AM More reviews by Cammmi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The least favorite of the mac paint pot I own. I feel it is not as pigmented as the other ones. And not as long lasting.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2014 4:07:00 PM More reviews by beddy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

On my nc20 c2 skin this paintpot slightly blends in when my skintone with jst one layer. The second layer shows up as a sunset peach gold sheen which is beautiful for just a natural look but with a myterious golden pop. I use to own bare study but i felt it was very drying(maybe i got a bad pot out the bunch) rubenesque is easy to blend and it def has the dimensional coloring i was looking for. I dont wear eyeshadow so i jst put this on with liner, mascara and i have a clean yet pretty simple look. Will repurchase

rated 4 of 5 on 10/16/2013 11:17:00 AM More reviews by CaitlinBlythe

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

i have this in rubenesque and i love it. i apply it with my finger as i find it a lot easier and you can use it as just a subtle shadow on its own, you can layer it for a lovely colour on its own or use it as a base. i always always use this as a base for any eye shadow as it makes it stay on all day and not crease at all. i love the colour, although it could be a little more pigmented but all in all, a great base

rated 3 of 5 on 8/12/2013 12:25:00 AM More reviews by chechi

I use this as a base almost every day for work. I have to use it on top of UDPP to prevent creasing (this is true for most cream eye shadows). I bought this color because of the rave reviews, but I don't like the packaging - I think it's unhygienic and inconvenient. The color is sheer but still visible - good for when you're in a hurry. I think there are way too many alternatives out there, so I don't see the need to repurchase this.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/24/2013 5:53:00 PM More reviews by lucycoogancakes

This product has tones of gold and coral in it. it glides on smoothly and can be used as a sheer wash or layered for a more intense colour. I'm really impressed with this product mainly because of the way it prevents my eye make up from creasing. I tend to use it most days as an eye base (after foundation & powder) and then I layer eye shadow over the top. I really don't like it when you spend time creating a beautiful eye only for it to end up with creases half way through the day. When I use rubenesque this never happens. My eye make up stays flawless for at least 8 hours. I have cycled into work (40 min journey) in 32 degree heat and my eye make up remains pristine! Now if I could just find something that could erase the shine from my t-zone then my world would be perfect(!)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/1/2013 11:36:00 AM More reviews by curlywurly100

Rubenesque is a peachy coral, almost pinkish gold colour in the jar. swatched, and on the skin, it applies as lots of little tightly-packed speckles.
i originally purchased this, in hopes of it being a coral sister to 'Indianwood' paint pot. this is really not the case! Indianwood is condensed, metallic and opaque, and i can wear that as an eyeshadow. this is translucent, speckley and i can not wear this as an eyeshadow. when i tried to build this up heavily, with a flat brush, it started to flake off! Rubenesque really disappointed me because it was not what i expected, but now it permanently lives in my make-up bag.
here's why; i discovered that applying this with my ring finger all over my lid and lower lid, (just built up enough to show up, but not to look opaque), gives the most beautiful, delicate golden warm glimmer that gives any eyeshadow a more textured, warm glow. in my opinion, this particular paint pot is truly meant as a base. it really gives a new dimension to eyeshadow. if you love warm colours on your eyes, then this is one for you. and it's funny, because although i originally hated this in comparison to paint pots that could be used as more stable eye colours, this turned out to be a much more versatile buy, because i use it almost every day with any eyeshadow.
i used this for a while, as a primer, but then noticed that while my eyeshadow wasn't creasing, my bottom lashline would become more easily smeared throughout the day. so i now use this with UDPP underneath and i also find that using that enhances the colour and performance of Rubenesque anyway.
Rubenesque was an accidental love for me, and also it seems, an accidental staple too!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2013 11:03:00 PM More reviews by MollieRT

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Green

I LOVE my rubenesque paint pot with some Mac expensive pink over top. It really makes my green eyes pop.