August 20, 2014 | 1071 users online

Polishes - Orly - Nail Lacquer in Essence of Pearl

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/5/2009 3:25:00 PM More reviews by Noboho

I didn't care for this polish at all. In the bottle, it looks like a beautiful combination of soft coral and baby pink. I actually couldn't wait to try it. However the polish dried to an utterly lackluster cheap salmon color. HIDEOUS! There was no shine, no glow, no anything. It's disappointing to say the least. Orly usually has fantastic polishes, but this is one that fell way short.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/11/2008 12:15:00 AM More reviews by Sassymedusa

I really like Orly polishes. I have several colors now, but this one is not good. It doesn't cover well, and even after three coats I still had some show through and streakiness. None of the other Orly polishes I have do that. I had to take it off and start over with Shimmering Mauve. This is too purple and iridescent to be subtle, but too light to be interesting.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/26/2008 2:20:00 AM More reviews by mrschavez89

i love this nail polish...it looks great against my skin color. It's a great spring color for me, or actually an all season color.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/7/2007 1:29:00 AM More reviews by tw

I love Orly polish to death. Love the shine, love the bottle. Hate this color. It looks dingy, almost dirty on me. Fair cool skin apparently just doesn't go with it, even though it looked great in the bottle. Will probably give this to a teen relative who doesn't care whether polish looks good or not, as long as it's shiny. ;)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2007 7:39:00 PM More reviews by RtiQlitQT

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'd read some mixed reviews on Orly Nail Lacquers including some that compared them to the quality of OPI. Since I have not found a nail polish that equals the quality and performance of OPI, yet, this seemed like a gauntlet to take up and I bought a bottle. I chose the color "Essence of Pearl" #40182, which is a frosted peachy, slightly pinky nude, because I don't have any other polish in this type of color. Orly Nail Lacquers sell at Sally Beauty Supply for under $5.00 per bottle.

I really *LOVE* the packaging; the glass bottle is substantial (.6 fl oz) with a rubberized grip on the lid/brush handle. There are metal mixing balls in the product, too. I feel this is the best nail color packaging on the market and OPI ought to consider copying the rubberized handle feature! It provides a better grip for better control during application.

Now, the product. Alas, I'm sorry to say, this color streaked badly and dried to a lackluster shine. I'm quite disappointed. It was so dull, that I couldn't stand to leave it on as it was, in order to test the durability. I had to put a coat of OPI's "Princesses Rule!" over the top, which is a clear polish with a lot of pink and silver microglitter, which made it very pretty (I find that "PR!" does wonders to spruce up any polish underneath it). I gave it two lippies because of the packaging, reasonable price and good availability.

To be fair, I will buy another shade to see if I experience the same disappointment and to test for durability before I pass judgement on Orly, but this shade is a real "dud." I might swap it if I can find a taker, but I would never repurchase it!