February 28, 2015 | 1623 users online

Eye Shadow - MAC - Paint Pot in Painterly

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2015 6:30:00 PM More reviews by RebDesnoyers

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I love the MAC paint pots, Painterly is a gorgeous soft pink-toned base. People with yellow undertones should stray away from this product and go towards Soft Ochre.

As for consistency, MAC paint pots are great, they feel smooth and blend easily. You get a fairly good amount because you only need a tiny bit.

I love to use this MAC paint pot to conceal and prime my eyelids prior to eyeshadow application. I wear this everyday, even if I am not wearing any eyeshadow.

A downside is the longevity of the product itself, creams tend to go bad fairly quick (6months to 1year) and so the product could go bad before you use it up.

PROS;
-Smooth
-Pigmentation
-Amount (Only need a bit)

CONS;
-Price
-Longevity of the product

rated 3 of 5 on 2/18/2015 1:17:00 AM More reviews by cllien

This was a bit too pink and dark for my skin tone to use as an eyeshadow base. Soft ochre is much better for me. It works well as a base to even out my dark eyelids. I need to wear UDPP underneath or it creases. Goes on smoothly though, and the pot will last 6 months to a year as long as it doesn't dry up. Sometimes can be found at the CCO for $13 (I don't know that I'd pay $21 for this at the MAC store).

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2015 1:35:00 PM More reviews by raquel36

What can I say...this fixes so many problems, a great base, just an overall staple that will make you look more refreshed, keeps your makeup on longer and cancels out red color on waterline and lid. It kinda does not need a review, but stands out alone as a must to have in your makeup case.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/16/2015 7:48:00 AM More reviews by rosademarzo

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Been using this for a long time and it hasn't dried out. I make sure to close it tightly and store upside down.
It's creamy, very easy to use and makes a great eyeshadow base, smoothing out the lid's surface without drying it out, has good coverage, goes well with quite a lot of skin tones. It does create a good surface to work with your shadows and makes them stand out more.
I've found that spreading it out with fingers works better then with brushes.
A little goes a long way, so a pot lasts a long time.
PACKAGING: sturdy, classic, good looking MAC little glass pot which is an unhygienic concept. You would have to use a sanitized spatula to take it out. A squeeze tube would have been way better.
EYE MAKEUP DURABILITY: It makes my eye shadows and liner last a little longer then they would without anything underneath, but it does not substitute a good primer at all on my oily lids. I still need to use a a primer first, then the paint pot, then top it with a mattifying powder before applying powder shadows, otherwise it will all crease in a couple of hours.
LOOSE EYESHADOWS: It has worked for me also as a base for loose eyeshadows.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/7/2015 10:55:00 PM More reviews by alyciaceballos

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have been using this as an eyeshadow base for years. When I don't want shadows, I use it by itself to take away the redness from my lids & still have a natural look. It does not crease at all & actually seems to take away any oil my lids had before applying it. I have gone through 3 of these in the 8-9 years or so that I have been using it. It lasts forever! I know a lot of people complain about it drying out in the pan, but as long as you're sure to screw the lid on probably, it is perfectly fine!! I have never had one dry out & as I have said, one pot lasts me years. An HG product of mine for sure!!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/2/2015 4:35:00 PM More reviews by americanjan

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I love the paint pots, but Painterly isn't for me. I agree with the reviewer who says it makes her look like a corpse. There's something dull about it, even with shadows over it. It does clear up the purplish discoloration on my eyelids, but it's just not the right color for me. I know some people swear by it, but it isn't my favorite. What it does, do, though, is make my shadow last 14+ hours. So in that respect, it's fantastic.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2015 6:58:00 AM More reviews by RaeRae2

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Overall I rate this B+. It is a flesh colored neutral matte base with no "life" at all. I can't use it as a shadow or I look like a corpse. But it's a nice base for bringing out the color in my shadows. Doesn't crease and lasts all day. I've had the pot about 1 year now and it's dry and shrunk inside the pot but the product still applies ok.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/22/2015 4:12:00 PM More reviews by coffeecupcake

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

Great primer, I used to use the Urban Decay Primer Potion( I still use it on my lower lashline) but I have dark, deep set eyelids and needed some coverage on them to cover up the redness and greyness of my eyelids and this does that very well. The pink tone works well even on my golden colored skin( I think I have NC35 skin) and brightens up my eyelid making eyeshadow show up better and give me a refreshed, well rested look too. I have dry skin so creasing, especially with good quality shadows, was never a huge issue for me, but I've heard it works well on oily lids when used with UDPP underneath.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/6/2015 9:43:00 AM More reviews by jmferrarese

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I really don't know where this got all the popularity it has from ...as an eyeshadow base it is horrible as it creases badly after just a couple of hours, by itself it smears also.
The real deal in eyeshadow bases is Mac Paint (the little tube) in Untitled as it really does the job big time. This painterly stuff it is just not worth it.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/31/2014 6:24:00 AM More reviews by TurtleMoon

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I wanted to try this as an alternative to Urban Decay's Primer Potion, as I'd heard it was just as good. And so far I've not been disappointed.

Painterly is a flesh-toned cream eye shadow, which sets to a matte powder finish. You can then apply regular cream or powder eye shadow over the top which lasts all day without fading or creasing. You can also wear it on its own with a lick of mascara for a natural look, which is great for someone like me whose eyelids tend to be a slightly darker shade than the rest of my face.

There's only one slight downside which I've found with this - if you leave it out in a warm, dry room, it starts to shrink leaving a large gap between the product and the side of the glass jar. It also has a tendency to start to dry out. To get round this, I've taken to leaving it in the bathroom (where it tends to be a bit warmer and humid) and I also leave it upside down which seems to help stop it from drying out quite so much (a tip I picked up from somewhere on the 'net).

For 15.50 I think this is definitely worth the money and for the results I've experienced since using it, it's comparable to the UDPP too.