October 23, 2014 | 1076 users online

Eye Shadow - Clinique - Color Surge Trio - Totally Neutral

rated 5 of 5 on 9/22/2012 5:27:00 AM More reviews by skim1017

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I bought the Totally Neutral trio to replace a more subtle (as in more office-appropriate and, admittedly, boring) neutral eyeshadow duo by Clinique that was apparently a special edition and no longer available. At first, I was afraid that the darker shades would be too khaki or olive on me and not as neutral as I would have liked, but I've really grown to love this trio. It's the perfect everyday neutral eyeshadow palette because of the range of shades (very light, medium, and dark neutrals) and the texture (velvety with just a hint of shimmer). In addition, it seems to have better color payoff than Clinique's eyeshadow duos, so a little bit goes a long way, especially if you're fair-skinned. While I use this primarily for my daytime/work look, you can also easily use it for a more dramatic, brown smokey-eye look.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/16/2012 10:53:00 AM More reviews by BeeBonnet

If you would've asked me about this 15 years ago, I would've said these colors are nothing special. Now, in my late 40's trying to recapture a more youthful eye since I have slightly hooded eyelids, these colors are wonderful!!! Not sure why, but I have trouble with most nudes, they are too muddy and fake looking for my light complextion. The shades in this collection are very natural looking on me. There is a very slight undertone of khaki green, which enhances my hazel eyes. This achieves a soft yet polished look to my eye makeup. While I have always worn and loved shimmery sparkly shadows, I've stopped wearing them. These are not completely matte, more like a satin... yet still make my eyelids look defined and smooth. This product is also long wearing on me, but easy to remove with my Purity cleanser, without any irritation. Staple in my make up bag from now on!

rated 4 of 5 on 12/20/2011 12:32:00 PM More reviews by Layni1006

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Clinique shadows in general don't get a lot of love around here. I just don't think bright, exciting eye looks is what Clinique is really going for. I like to have a few of the palettes around, because I have a lot of vibrant, shimmery shades and I get super carried away. Usually I don't mind looking a bit over-the-top, and it's sort of part of my personality, but there are times when one needs a much more subtle look. Think job interviews, dinner with husband's grandparents, etc. Those are the times I reach for Clinique. This trio is my favorite for when I am doing a bold lip. The colors are great together, and they are very sheer, but for me that means I can't really go overboard. I like that this trio is neutral, so I can pair it with any lip, from bright reds to corals to berries. The staying power is great over primer, and I have never had a Clinique shadow crease on me. I probably won't repurchase, only because I don't use this daily and will likely NEVER hit pan, but I do recommend this for a polished, classy eye.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/29/2011 4:00:00 PM More reviews by Alexine

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Totally neutral is totally awesome. I love this trio. Perfect polished look for work. These colors are subtle, look great and last all day. They're not completely matte, but not very shimmery, either. They're a taupey color that goes with everything, and even though they are very neutral, I don't find them boring at all. I will definitely repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2011 8:49:00 AM More reviews by sweetyoungthing

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Other

This is my go to, everyday eyeshadow trio. It is my absolutely favorite, easy to blend, very buildable, just overall a great product. It lasts a long time and is great for creating a neutral smokey eye. A must have in my makeup routine. Price is right too!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/14/2011 4:54:00 AM More reviews by pangstr

easy to wear colors if you have neutral-toned skin. very pigmented and has surprisingly great lasting power. i have oily lids and this lasts almost all day without a primer, and all day with a primer.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/14/2011 3:23:00 AM More reviews by smcgraw

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I totally love Totally Neutral. I've received several compliments on my blue eyes when wearing this shadow trio. I love that it's neutral without heavy brown tones, which tend to make me look tired. I pair this with Smoky Brown eyeliner for a neutral look or Egyptian for more drama. I like the very slight shimmer and the shadow lasts all day for me with just concealer as a base. If I could have one complaint, I'd like the brow highlighter shade to be just a tad lighter (more ivory than champagne). This is quick and goof-proof, I wear it daily for work and smoke it out for weekends.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/6/2010 12:58:00 AM More reviews by jcarleton

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I'm not crazy about this eye shadow. The colors are nice, but I have shades close to them already. The colors are not as true to tone on my eyes I'd like. All and all I would pass on this, it's not the worst eyeshadow. But if you pay the full price it would never be worth the money.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/1/2010 3:08:00 PM More reviews by vhsbeadergirl

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I got a little Colour Surge Eyeshadow Trio in totally neutral that has a mirror on top and you slide it open to reveal the shadows. It was free with a purchase I made months ago. I love free stuff. It was my first Clinique eyeshadow and won't be my last! It would work on any eyecolor! It's really natural; a great daytime look, and of course, with 3 shades, it's versatile. It's buildable though, so with the dark color, you could great a smoky taupe look as well as a very natural look. There's no creasing, the finish is great, and I don't notice that I have anything on my lids when I'm wearing this. It's a must have!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/1/2009 7:34:00 PM More reviews by letyeu

I was going on a week long business trip and was trying to pack as minimally as possible. I bought this eyeshadow in the hopes of having a neutral set that could work all week, without the need to bring any individual pans of shadows with me as well. I have been using Mac and Lancome shadows so wasn't sure what to expect with the Clinique shadows.

This trio was exactly what I was looking for - a perfectly neutral trio of grey-ish taupe (which was important, I didn't want brown tones) shadows that I could wear everyday. All colours are quite sheer, maybe a touch too sheer even, but it allows you to you create a very subtle look or build up for a smokey eye. There isn't too much shimmer in the shadow either, which makes it very wearable for day.