October 21, 2014 | 921 users online

Styling Products - Epsom Salt Spray

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 8/26/2014 5:56:00 AM More reviews by OneEvening

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I don't use Epsom Salts as a spray, but I do use it as a final rinse when I wash my hair to get more curls, and it definitely works. I fill a bottle with water, add about a tablespoon of epsom salts into it and wait for it to disolve, then after I've washed my hair (I have started to use my shampoo and conditioner as rinses rather than directly applying them to my hair so my hair doesn't get weighed down from too much product), I rinse the epsom salt through, add mousse and pin my hair up to dry overnight. The next day my hair is quite noticably more curled than if I don't use the epsom salts.
I haven't noticed anything different about my hair in terms of damage/dryness either, I know a lot of people worry about that as they think it is actual salt, when in fact it isn't at all.
I'd definitely say at least give it a try and see if you get the same sort of result. :3

rated 4 of 5 on 7/9/2014 12:52:00 PM More reviews by quickclamour

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

love this salt spray. it use it in the bath and i feel so rejuvanated and refreshed when im done. the smell is great too!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2014 9:20:00 AM More reviews by organicmoon

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Love this though I don't use it in my hair, I make a spray w/ 1 cup warm water and 2-3 Tbs Epsom salt. Make sure it's dissolved put in spray bottle, shake well and after washing face day and night I spray liberally then when it's almost dry put on moisturizer. My skin loves it! I was worried at first bc I have dry, sensitive, acne prone skin but went with it. It's been about 3-4 weeks and my skin is clearer now than its been in such a long time. The salt makes my skin very smooth w/o over drying. I also use this after a shower on my back where I occasionally get breakouts.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2013 1:58:00 AM More reviews by staci01

Looking for reviews on epsom salt lead me to these reviews on the spray. Holy cow! This stuff is great for volumizing hair! Followed the directions from the very first post below and the past two days my hair has had nice volume and is very soft. I've been eyeballing Bumble & Bumble's Surf Hair for years but just couldn't bring myself to buy it. Thanks to this spray I saved a nice chunk of change. There is no scent to the epsom salt which is great since many hair products are too heavily scented and clash with any perfume I'm wearing. I also love the fact that epsom salt is good for the skin and that I won't get any breakouts from this spray like I do from regular hair products when they get on my skin. It's a win win for me! Thanks MUA!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2010 9:29:00 AM More reviews by felgoj

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

2b or not 2b? That is the question. (hehe, a little Shakespearean curl humor)
When my frizz-prone, straightish hair is cooperative, then I have beautiful 2b curls. But when my hair is stubborn, it will only kink & look ratty. YUCK

Now that my hair is chemically damaged by many repeated bleach highlights, I have a hard time getting it to curl up @ all ....until a recent beach outing left me w/surprisingly gorgeous beachy waves & volume. I love that sexy, summery, tousled, carefree, bedhead look.

So I researched beach-wave curl products & came across this home remedy. Amazing, absolutely amazing beachy waves & curly volume, created effortlessly right @ home for virtually no $.

Surprisingly, little bit of this stuff is actually very kind & gentle to my fried hair (research on Wikipedia & NaturallyCurly.com gave really helpful info). I use this only 2x a wk since it allows my good hair days to last a few days @ a time.

My hands get rather dry after scrunching w/this but it's nothing a little diligent hand lotion can't fix (which I regularly use anyway).

My favorite parts of this product:
#3. All natural - epsom salt + tap water (though I prefer distilled water)
#2. It's so cheap that it's virtually FREE
#1. CAN'T BE DISCONTINUED. Big woohoooo for that! I'm SO SICK of my favorite store products being discontinued. That'll never happen here.

UPDT 2/4/11 -
This stuff gives me absolutely gorgeous hair even in the winter. I don't use it every day but when I want to have lovely bedhead beachy waves without any additional styling effort whatsoever (for my chin-length bob), this stuff is magic. This makes me look like I styled my hair w/o having done anything - how great is that!

15 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2010 1:56:00 PM More reviews by summerbrow

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I found the below recipe online and it is working out better for me than my expensive Toni&Guy Beach Curl Spray - YAY!!!

For reference, I have pretty short (just above shoulder lenght) fine hair w/ 2a waves. This concoction makes my waves curl up into real big soft curls, but without the stiff, crunchy feeling I get from T&G which I actually have to brush through to make it look good.

Try this out:

1 tbs of epsom to 1 cup water (I just use tap). Add 1 tbs leave-in conditioner (I used Aussie) and -3/4 tbs volumising hair gel (for extra strenght hold & body). Optional: add your favourite essential oil, I use 3-5 drops of chamomile (am a blonde) but you can also use rosemary (for brunettes) or tea tree oil if you have oily hair/scalp.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2010 8:40:00 PM More reviews by EyelinerLover

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I just made some of this and tried it out just a little bit ago. Unfortunately my hair is short (just past my shoulders) and very layered and has a tendency to flip out at the ends no matter what (the only thing that fixes it is straightening it.) So, my hair didn't exactly look very good with this in. However, it's wave-making abilities are really great and my hair feels thicker and more voluminous, so once I grow out my hair I will definitely be trying this again!

EDIT:
Okay, so this is definitely HG when it comes to volume for me. Usually to get my hair even to a decent amount of volume (naturally my hair is so flat it looks plastered to my head) I have to tease and hairspray the roots. However, mixing up a ratio of 2 teaspoons epsom salt with 4 tablespoons water in a small spray bottle works perfectly. At night after I shower while my hair is still damp, I spritz this all into my roots (roots only, otherwise it's really hard to straighten my hair) and muss up the roots a bit. It dries with good volume, but after sleeping on my hair all night, it deflates a bit. So in the morning after straightening my hair I spritz more into my roots, scrunch the roots some more, gently comb out any roughness, and I get perfect, long-lasting volume! It works exactly as well as teasing, although only if I apply it the night before, otherwise it won't give me much volume (I guess it needs to be built up to work.)

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 1/16/2010 9:28:00 PM More reviews by dyanp989

Wow ... loving this so far!

Mixed a batch with about a tablespoon of sea salt dissolved in 7 oz of distilled water. I put it into a spray bottle with about a half an ounce of leave in conditioner (to counter the dryness I heard about). Spritzed it in my hair and let it air dry.

Resulted in soft, manageable waves with no frizz so far. Will update to see if I keep it up ...

Update: was very drying when used on a regular basis. I no longer use.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2009 8:29:00 AM More reviews by ktk

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Holy Grail.

One dollar buys me a carton of Epsom Salts at the Dollar Tree!

One teaspoon in one cup of spring water plus one teaspoon of conditioner (I used Kiss My Face Big Body conditioner, smells great!) in a misting spray bottle....sprayed the roots of my damp hair and worked in with my fingers. Voila! Amazing, all day body and hold- and a surprise side effect- the salt seems to soak up any greasiness from the summer heat and humidity. My hair looks a little matte, but not disgustingly so! I have never been able to make my hair "work" without a daily shampoo, but with this concoction I can skip a day and it looks even better.

Most styling products break me out, so this is great for sensitive gals. Just don't overdo it on the salt- trust the recipe.

This is a summertime godsend.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/5/2009 11:11:00 PM More reviews by Kandinsky

Just wanted to add this review for anyone else's benefit: epsom salts are magnesium sulfate which is a major curl enhancer and usually a main ingredient in "wave sprays" and curl products. My hair is 2b/2c waves and responds very well to magnesium sulfate for definition and volume. Lately, I've been making a poor man's version of curl creme: epsom salts dissolved into boiling water, and put into a bottle with aloe vera gel, a bit of conditioner, and gel. I scrunch this into my hair after CO-washing, apply a bit more gel, plop for 10-20 minutes, then diffuse. I'm getting pretty good waves with this, but the consistency is hit or miss (sometimes too watery/runny). Also, this will dull your hair - if you want shine, this won't be for you. But I think I might make my own flax seed gel (just Google it) and include some epsom salts to make my own curling gel.

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No