Clinique Acne Solutions Clarifying Lotion

3.4

active ingredient: salicylic acid 1.50% ingredients: water\aqua\eau, alcohol denat., nylon-12, butylene glycol, hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel), laminaria saccharina extract, caffeine, sucrose, glycerin, acetyl glucosamine, sorbitol , sea whip extract, barium sulfate, 10-hydroxydecanoic acid, silica, disodium edta, benzalkonium chloride

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

My skin type? Acne-prone, very oily all over, prone to clogging, slightly sensitive, medium complexion
Skin concerns: Hyper-pigmentation, light scarring, uneven skin, moderate acne (monthly), very oily skin, clogged pores, dry patches (due to acne medication)

Product claims: “Gentle, medicated formula exfoliates to clear dead surface cells and reduce excess oil that can lead to breakouts. Unclogs pores. Oil-absorbing powders eliminate shine. Soothes irritation and redness without drying. For all skin types. Allergy tested. 100% fragrance free.”

I bought this back in 2013 for around $20 CDN and have been using it off-an-on since, along with the Acne Solutions Foaming Face Wash.

“Did it help with my acne?”
Initially, yes, I believe this did help me clear my acne. In 2013, I broke out very badly along my chin and jawline and this helped my acne medications work better. On its own, I believe it wouldn’t have been as effective but I do think that it helped make my routine ‘more effective’ and ‘stronger’. It also helped with dry patches and it does exfoliate my skin because my make-up, afterwards, goes on a lot smoother. The ingredient “salicylic acid 1.5%” probably has a lot to do with that.

“Does it help control oil?”
Ehhhh, not so much. I’d say it probably doesn’t make that much of a difference. Because of the high alcohol content, being the second ingredient on the list, it does have a “drying” effect once you first put it on. However, throughout the day, my skin’s natural oiliness peaks through unchanged.

“Does it dry my skin out and does it irritate my skin?”
No, but my skin is pretty tough as it’s used to strong medications like “retinoids, topical antibacterials, AHA’s, BHA’s” so a toner with salicylic acid won’t dry out or irritate my skin. However, for those who aren’t used to BHA’s and are first starting out, I can see how this might ‘sting’ and ‘irritate’ those skin types. The alcohol content might also cause irritation and redness.

“Does it unclog pores?”
Not really. I now suffer from clogged pores more than I did back in 2013 and this toner hasn’t helped me with that problem. Clogged pores are a really difficult thing to get rid of. I’d say this product would be good for ‘preventing’ clogged pores and just exfoliating surface cells BUT it doesn’t have the power to penetrate deep enough to really unclog, hardened pores (that’s what retinoids are for.)

My final thoughts with this toner is that it’s helped me initially with my acne and it hasn’t irritated or broken out my acne-prone skin so I love that about this. However, I feel like the ingredients in this (such as the alcohol) won’t help my skin in the long-run. I’ve just entered my 20’s and am being very careful with what I put on my skin. This isn’t the best toner out there but it did work for me previously. Now, it doesn’t seem to do anything for my top skin concerns: clogged pores, uneven skin texture, and hyper-pigmentation. I’ll keep this as a back-up but for now I’m on the hunt for a better toner! :)

on 6/22/2015 11:49:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I've been using this product on and off as part of the Anti-Blemish line for years. I've always found it to be a pretty reliable product when dealing with my acne- it helps to clear away dead skin which can build up causing blemishes, plus because it cleans the skin really well, it prepares it nicely for my topical skin cream. However I've decided it's time to phase out the use of the product due to the high alcohol content. My skin has calmed down a bit over the years and I feel that it's time to start using products that will care for it as it ages, rather than aggressively scrub away layers from my face! I've been through a lot of products over the years so my skin is pretty resilient, but I can imagine those with drier skin would not get along well with this- it's just way to harsh.

That said I always did like looking at the cotton bud after wiping it over my face. There was usually some residue makeup, and it was satisfying to know my face was SUPER clean before bedtime. Also helpful if I wanted to test how effective a cleanser/makeup remover was!

on 6/17/2015 12:44:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Deluxe Sephora sample, lasted me a couple months of use, a few times a week. Okay toner, I used during times of breakout prone skin, especially. Meaning around my period. It would remove trace amounts of makeup left behind from my cleanser and it did seem to leave my skin a bit tighter but not dry. I won't repurchase because I feel I can do just as well at the drug store for a bit cheaper. Right now, I'm using a tea tree oil spray by Boots and it's working very well.

on 3/18/2015 11:37:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium

This helps to reduce the amount of oil that forms on my skin. I have seen no reduction in the amount of acne I have (as no products seem to work for me) but i would recommend it simply as a way for oily skin type girls to reduce their make up touch ups throughout the day.

I used the whole kit and these products made wonders for my skin, it's a lot better now and I break out twice a month instead of twice a week. BUT I feel like there are more gentle and more effective products in the market similar to this. This toner seems to have way too much alcohol in it. I still would recommend it cause Clinique acne solutions was the first thing that helped to get rid of my horrible forehead acne so it still works.

on 1/13/2015 2:49:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

BEST THING FOR ACNE!!!! I am ACNE PRONED THIS IS MY HG. I am 21&now break out free..I've tried every drugstore acne products/proactive nothing worked:( but this saved my life I am now acne free :-) 15$ so worth it guys

on 12/31/2014 3:05:00 PM

How did they manage to get this product into stores? Once it ran out in my make up bag and the print on the back of literally all my products got melted away. Imagine what this does to our skin in the long term? Never used it again after that.

on 11/19/2014 10:42:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I'm a fairly big fan of this toner (lotion?). I was fairly disappointed with the Acne Solutions cleanser, but this toner pretty much saved the day. I have occasional severe hormonal acne, and I was searching for a 3-step kit to help me out. While the cleanser was a disappointment, the toner removes a TON of impurities, be it makeup, oil, dirt, etc. It tingles a bit and I can definitely feel it working and exfoliating it as well. I fill one cotton round with the liquid and sweep it all over my face with slight pressure. Voila! My face definitely feels clean. I'm bummed about the ineffectiveness of the rest of the Acne Solutions line, but I think this toner is definitely a keeper.

on 10/15/2014 11:32:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

I always come back to this. I'm not a big toner person but I like knowing that my face is properly cleansed and free of make-up and dirt.
I used this as part of the three step system but this is the only product out of the three that I'm still using. The other two I've found don't work too well but this toner works well with my skin.
It doesn't dry my skin out and it leaves it feeling cool and hydrated right after I cleanse my face. I think it also helps a little bit with my acne but I can't pinpoint it on this product for sure since I use acne medication in combination with this.
The product lasts me about 3-4 months and I don't mind the price since the toner doesn't irritate my skin. Most toners tend to make my skin itch, red, or dry up but this one does its job well! Leaves my skin feeling clean, refreshed, and hydrated.
I would repurchase this and it's totally safe for acne-prone skin, at least for me!
Give it a try!! x

on 7/23/2014 11:38:00 PM

This toner was part of the 3 step acne solutions set. I used this system for 5 weeks and in my video I posted before and after pictures as well as 5 weeks worth of progress pictures. I hope you can check it out. I have combination skin (oily and normal) and have mild acne.

After I used the soap, I use this and this works very well. It is my favorite part of the set because it cleans out my skin. I use this with cotton pads and even though I double cleansed my skin, with this toner and cotton pad, I was still able to remove more dirt on my skin. It kept my skin balanced.

Video Reviews & Tutorials