October 21, 2014 | 1354 users online

Styling Products - L.A. Looks - Curl Look Frizz Control Gel

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 7/9/2014 2:36:00 PM More reviews by Awesomeangelface

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Deep Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Black

this gel is awesome it tames and controls my wild frizzy hair. i can now go in public and not get mufasa comments. yay!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/29/2012 11:15:00 PM More reviews by gcamille994

The one pet peeve I have is when people gel their hair and in a few hours it looks like they haven't maintained it in years! This gel STOPS THAT!

I have been using LA Looks for almost 5 years now and I absolutely love it! My hair is curly, medium length, and pretty thick. The gel holds everything in place! Normally I section my hair off into 5 inch sections and gel each section with a dollop sized amount of product. Sometimes if its humid out I'll hairspray but I normally don't need to.

The gel doesn't stick to my hands or hair when either are dry and the stuff smells pretty good. The gel is also an amazing sports gel, in case anybody's running around!

Typically I get a bottle from the Beauty Supply for about $3 or even Rite Aid for about $5. A bottle typically lasts me 3 weeks, as I wear my hair down a lot!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2011 4:09:00 AM More reviews by chayaNY

The packaging screams 80's! I almost can't believe I bought what seems like a small keg of blue hair gel when I have about 42 other hair styling products. I have a ton of fine hair, so dry its brittle and actually breaks off. I'm left with a halo of frizz and fly-aways. Not as glam as I make it sound;) My hair is mid back and wavy, very. Its actually crazy curly but only when short, when long I want to encourage some wave but avoid a tumbleweed effect.

I have tried Bio-silk, recently really liked a Rusk product, but both for their price, fell short. I have many drug store products as well, but this summer tried my fiancees generic, dollar store wet look gel when I forgot styling products and was amazed how much I liked how it looked in my hair! I wanted to find an alcohol free alternative so as not to dry my hair out further. I liked the reviews here and for the price it seemed worth a try. I have only used it a few times but already like it a lot.

Here's why, it makes my hair look shiny, not in a shine spray, greasy way, but like the shine kids have in their hair, a more natural look. Its not sticky when its dry, nor crunchy, and I can add it to dry hair to "refresh" my look without it flaking or becoming matte/dull, or stiffen. My hair looks healthier with it on. I like the shine it imparts more than the shine from the wet look gel although for summer buns, up do's, that sort of thing can't be beat. I now plan to try the newest one which is meant for shine and is a medium blue color from the ad I saw. This is a great value and useful product.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/9/2011 5:03:00 PM More reviews by FrankStallone

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Wow! I'm speechless. I've been looking for the perfect gel for forever. This gives me soft defined curls when I blowdry it. It turns crunchy if I don't. I prefer soft! It also gives a nice shine and doesn't weigh my hair down. I can't believe this was under $4 and you get a massive amount. It also eliminates the need for an additional finishing product so that saves me money as well. I use Tresemme heat protectant spray, Fekkai Pot de Creme and this gel. My hair looks consistently good. It also doesn't tangle as much. I'm really amazed by this product. Really and truly.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/4/2011 10:00:00 PM More reviews by Eeeeelicia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

By no means does it look pretty sitting there in the back of my vanity, behind the rest of my hair products...the big blue blob. But whenever I find myself having one of those days when I'm in a hurry and I just don't have any time for "hair nonsense" (as I call it), I simply turn to Old Faithful.

This gel is maybe $3.00 on average, depending where you buy it, and while I was very suspicious at first (how can something so cheap do anything productive for my hair?), it turns out that I had nothing to worry about. I can scrunch this gel in my hair, usually after using a light curl cream first, and it doesn't matter if I air-dry or diffuse, because either way I get very cute and defined curls (and I'm a 2a/2b). There's really hardly any crunch to be scrunched out, and I haven't even noticed any stickiness on my hands after using the gel. Sweet!

The bottle is HUGE. I have a feeling I will end up handing it down to my first born or something.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/22/2011 3:59:00 PM More reviews by curlyjo1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I really like this stuff so far. I just can't buy expensive hair products right now and so I went on makeupalley to find something that might work for my curly 3a fine frizzy puff ball hair. I also have a ton of breakage and I have no idea why but I'm guessing it's because of the Brazilian Blow out that I did a while ago and I'm still suffering the consequences of that really bad decision. So the BB is out of my hair and my hair is a worse puff ball now with breakage. I used this with Suave green apple shampoo and conditioner because those are cheap too and Paula Begoun cosmetics cop approved and the whole combo turned out pretty nice! No frizz in spite of all this broken hair at the scalp, nice curl formation and really no crunchies that can't be scrunched out. Very happy!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/14/2011 5:30:00 PM More reviews by kissjacksparrow

This review is for the one in the light blue color, level 8 hold. It's described as a "defining and frizz control gel"

I was using the sports gel, (which I already wrote a detailed review for) but couldn't resist trying this one when I saw it was on sale at rite aid.

It is slightly less hold then the sports gel. I like this when I want softer/fluffier hair. If it is windy or wet, I use the sports gel, but for most casual days, this is nice.

I like the softer hold because my hair does not get crunchy at all with this! My curls come out defined, shiny but still very soft. If I touch my hair, it does not feel like there is any product in there, but it certainly does way more for my hair then no product would. (w/o products my hair is a frizzy mess on inconsistent texture.)

It smells the same as the sports gel does to me - it's a light clean smell. It's nothing amazing but that's ok. I would love it more if it smelled better, but it really isn't necessary. I also could live without the added dies, as it is rather pointless.

Here is how I use it: Just after showering, I add in some leave in conditioner - this really helps to make sure there is no frizz and that it doesn't get crunchy. I then finger rake it though my hair. If my hair is still tangled, I will use a wide tooth comb. I flip my head over and "scrunch & pump" to encourage curl and make sure the product is well distributed. I use about a palm full on my medium-long hair (too the bra strap wet, shoulder lengths when dry/curled) I add a little more if I am planning on blow drying with a diffuser. I then use my "curls like us" towel (you could use a cotton T shirt) and then "scrunch & pump" to remove as much water as I can, since my hair takes forever to dry. I then flip my hair back and finger style to set my part. I take a small amount of gel and twist any areas that are straight and smooth around the top/face where I tend to get frizzes. I then either let it hair dry, plop or diffuse.

I am very happy with the results I get. I do like both gels, but this one I prefer - under the right circumstances, of course. I alternate between the two depending on the look I want (sports gel for more defined hair, or if weather is bad and curl gel for soft, casual, softer/fluffier/more natural looks) This does not give enough hold to allow for second day curls, but most of the time I prefer to wet & restyle anways, but there are gels I have used where I can get 2nd day curls more easily because the gel holds better.

The packing could be better. I dont like that it falls over a lot when it's almost empty. It needs a wider base, or a pump would be awesome!

It's super cheap: about $2-3 for 20oz and works just as well, if not better, then a lot of other hair gels I have tried at all price points. I like that the bottle is a large amount because I go through it so quickly since I need a lot of product on my hair.

This is "curly girl method" approved - it does not contain any silicones and can easily be rinsed out with water. It will not cause build up on your hair.

**Update: I have read on naturallycurly.com forum that this is being discontinued! I am so upset! I picked up it's new replacement: the nutracurl moisturizing gel with avocado oil and I am not convinced. I think the curl gel work much better. The new nutracurl seems to make my hair look stringy, and I don't think it's very moisturizing. If you love the original blue curl gel, PLEASE call the company and let them know. They say if enough people as for it, they might bring it back! I will continue to experiment with the nutracurl gel, and will write a review when I am finished with the bottle - so if you are interested, look for that in the future.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2011 8:43:00 PM More reviews by Francesca_S

I depend on MA for many of my cosmetics purchases but rarely write any reviews. This product I have to rave about! The past 20 years I have been looking for the perfect hair product for my curly 3A hair and I have found it! I have tried tons and tons of expensive products and who new that I would find it in a 2.50 bottle of drugstore gel! I tried it from the high ratings others have given it on MA. First of all it is dirt cheap, second, it makes my thick, frizzy hair manageable with beautiful, well defined curls, free of frizz. I keep having to go back and look in the mirror because it looks so great! If you don't over do it, it is not crunchy. So many products may help with curls but not frizz or vice versa and I feel that it does it both. Last but not least, it doesn't contain alcohol so it doesn't further dry out my already dry hair. There you go! Go try it out!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2011 12:42:00 PM More reviews by Chocolatedog

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I have been trying to embrace my naturally wavy/curly hair. It's very thick and frizz prone. For a long time I have been straightening it to smooth out the frizz. I brought this gel last week and it is great. I wash my hair, apply the gel and either let it dry naturally or diffuse it depending on the time. It makes my hair wavy and frizz free and it never flakes. The best part is that it was $2 for a giant bottle.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2011 6:25:00 PM More reviews by lesliejean

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This product is a miracle! I have a closet full of every mousse, gel, creme, etc. This is the ONLY product that controls my frizzy hair in the Florida humidity without drying it out and turning it into a rats nest. I scrunch a handfull in my wet hair, actually go to sleep before it dries, and in the morning my curls are beautiful! On a killer humid day, I will run a light coating over my hair before leaving the house, and it works great. I can't believe that I would find such a great product as such a low price.