October 1, 2014 | 987 users online

Pressed Powders - Maybelline - Dream Matte Pressed Powder [DISCONTINUED]

This product has been discontinued

rated 4 of 5 on 6/25/2010 5:40:00 AM More reviews by idg

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I had previously used Benefit's Get Even to camouflage my ugliness, and while I do recommend that product, it may cause you to go broke. Maybelline's powder does more than a decent job of covering up any facial flaws, mattifying while absorbing oil. It is less than half the price of Benefit's powder, and comes in a variety of shades to match many skin tones...

...or it used to.

My Maybelline-loving NC-40 skin used to wear the shade "Latte" (Dark 0-1) and it has now disappeared like your second-cousin-removed's deadbeat father. Why? Why did you make me love you and then leave me? And no, I am not going to hire a private investigator to go find a discontinued compact for me. Be warned: if you do find a shade to match your skintone, you may find yourself more than frustrated when you can no longer repurchase with ease when needed. You will simply be left standing there in aisle three, as the pressed powder that got away laughs in your unmattified oily face.

41 out of 43 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/3/2009 11:48:00 PM More reviews by sg00

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

***UPDATE*** This did break me out in underground cysts after 2 weeks of using it straight. I won't dock lippies though, because my skin's acne-prone to begin with, and the product itself is truly PHENOMENAL for the price. If your skin isn't easily clogged, and if you're usually okay with Maybelline products, don't hesitate to try this.

To start off with, I don't believe in pressed powders. Every single one I've tried before, from Cover Girl to MAC to revered Asian brands, never work. Either they break me out (I'm -extremely- acne prone), oxidize to an ugly orange, leave my combo skin greasier than it started off with, provide poor coverage, or look like a caked mess. The closest I've come to was Physician's Formula pressed, but even that never gave me the perfect color match. I tried this powder without high expectations, and it seriously blew me away. The finish is just ETHEREAL. I have a few post-acne scars, but with layers using a mu sponge, this powder covered the marks beautifully. Best of all, it wasn't cakey at all! I don't know how this was formulated, but Maybelline really took the term finely-milled to another level. Just today, I tried piling this on to see how much coverage I could get. I found that with repeated layers, I can only reach medium coverage max. Full coverage just isn't possible. Therefore, if you have alot of skin disclorations, this might not be your perfect powder. If you have near perfect to slightly flawed skin, you will love this to no end. The plus side to the powder is that you can't even tell I have anything on (at all!). I think this is a more than decent tradeoff.

My main gripe with this powder is the lasting power. Sadly, this fades on me in a few hours. I'd give it 3-5 hours max. I need to touch up on my face about 3 times every day when I use this. I guess nothing is perfect...

Unlike everyone else, I LOVE THE PACKAGING. Before you question my sanity, let me explain. The first thing I did after I bought this was break the compact in half. I literally took the bottom mirror (with the puff inside) and pulled it off from the top. It's only hinged on by one joint, so this is fairly easy to accomplish. What I'm left with is a -super- sleek compact with just the powder. Others might not like this setup, but it's perfect for me. The top portion is so slim that it can fit just about anywhere, which is ideal for the minimalist in me. Plus, it looks fantastic on the vanity!

I would buy this again anyday. I can finally say that I've found my HG powder! Thank you Maybelline. Oh yeah, for reference, my shade is Sand (Medium 0-1). If you have a fair-medium to medium skintone without too much pink or yellow undertones, this will suit you well. The shade is pretty forgiving. The next medium shade up looked much more yellow-beige under the store lighting.

29 out of 29 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2009 8:37:00 PM More reviews by georgiasweety

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I think this lives up to its mattifying claims. In a typical 8 hour work day I dont have to do any touch ups. Even when wiping my face in the heat the powder does not transfer off and does not lose coverage midday. Its a silky soft pressed powder, has a great velour puff for full coverage, and a mirror built into the bottom. Unscented, and okay for my acne prone sensitive skin type. It does provide a true matte coverage, but it looks like 2nd skin when you get the right shade, it doesnt leave your face looking flat at all. I have tried a few colors trying to get a good match. When I wear alone without foundation it does a decent job, its not a powder foundation so it doesnt give full coverage but it helps keep oilies down, and does provide coverage for face flaws. I prefer to use this on top of my foundation. Color information: When I was NC15 I tried the lightest shade- Fair Light 0-1 and this was just too chalky and ashy. A very pale color, but still left a ghost like residue, I assumed it was just the powder. During the summer I became an NC20 and everyone on the mu board recommended Light Cream 4-5 (the darkest in the light range). This shade is a little bit too light for a true NC20 skintone in my tested opinion. It would work, but it is not as dark as NC20 foundation, so it left me looking ashy and chalky. I thought it was just the texture of the powder until I purchased Sand-Medium 0-1 and this seems to be the perfect shade for an NC20. This color blended flawlessly to match my foundation, no more problems with ashy or chalkiness. So I strongly suggest if you have true NC20 yellow skintones to purchase the sand medium 0-1. It made a world of difference vs the lighter cream color.. Even with a tiny bit of oxidation or the powder settling at the end of the day, the cream color was still too ashy. Hope this helps someone who has similar coloring! :) update:* ive switched to medium 2-2.45 and it looks even better on nc20 skintones

21 out of 21 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2008 10:27:00 AM More reviews by sloro

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

UPDATE 3/6/09: Official HG status!
    Original review: Like many other reviewers, I too was pleasantly surprised with this product! I think the coverage is pretty good for a powder, and the Sand color was a perfect match for my skin tone. I tried the Cream color as well, but it did not seem to have as good of coverage and did not control oil as well, weird.... No break-outs, and it does a fairly decent job keeping my oily skin at bay. I am one of the few who thinks the packaging is pretty cool! Applies perfectly with a large kabuki brush.
    MAYBELLINE NEW YORK

CI 77499, CI 77491, CI 77492 / IRON OXIDES
    CI 77891 / TITANIUM DIOXIDE ]

13 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/27/2010 3:30:00 AM More reviews by Rkhan715

I bought this in beige Medium 2-2.5. I am asian/middle eastern with prominent yellow undertones. For reference, i am a NC25 in mac studio fix liquid foundation and a NC30 in mac studio fix powder foundation. This didnt have enough yellow in it at all. If it had more yellow, it would be perfect.

10 out of 10 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/11/2012 2:43:00 AM More reviews by elovejoy25

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

IF YOU HAVE OILY SKIN GO TO THE DRUGSTORE RIGHT NOW AND PURCHASE THIS! I have tried everything. Powder foundations, setting sprays, mattifying primers, you name it, I've tried it (including a Milk of Magnesia face mask... yuck). Once I've had my makeup on for more that four hours it usually is still in place, but entirely in liquid form, no matter what the substance started as. I picked this up because of MissGlamorazzi on youtube seemed to like it a lot. I'm not the biggest fan of her's but she does have very oily skin so if she was so devoted to it, I figured it was worth the $7 shot. I am so glad I found this product. It keeps my makeup on all day and I don't look like an oil slick. I am not lying when I say this is the very first product I've found to accomplish that.

When you first apply the powder, don't be discouraged. I use an elf kabuki brush and always find it looks a little heavy at first. Once you wear it for a bit it seems to adjust to the oils in your face without letting them get out of control. It doesn't look matte (which looks fake, let's be honest) but it just lets your skin look naturally and a little luminescent rather than oily. I do have to re-apply after about 6 hours or so, but I can live with that. My T-Zone is Deepwater Horizon status so 6 hours for me is a miracle.

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/3/2010 8:24:00 PM More reviews by celevia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

This product in my opinion is definitely worth all the hype,,i got it in the color sand and it matches my medium-fair Asian skin tone perfectly. The powder is very very soft and finely milled, when i swirl my brush in the compact im almost a little afraid that chunks of powder will break off. you also don't need to swirl to much since the powder is so soft that it comes on to your brush very easily. I find it works awesome when trying to blend away foundation or concealer, i once used a concealer that's 2 or 3 shades darker than my skin tone, it looked like a joke on my face, but then i used this powder to blend and wow the dark spots just disappeared and melted in with my skin tone! It doesn't provide much coverage so for me i have a lot of red acne scars, this doesn't cover them at all, but it does lighten up the redness and make it look a little less severe. I mainly use this powder to set my foundation or sunscreen or tinted moisturizer or whatever im using on that day, i also use it as a blotting powder sometimes and it takes away the shine without looking cakey or chalky. Another tip you can try is patting some of this powder on both your eyelids (if you are not wearing any shadow) and under eye area after applying mascara, when i do that im 100% panda eye free all day long!! even with non-waterproof mascaras, that trick still works wonderfully for me, it's amazing!! The lasting power is decent, but i do have to blot during midday on my T-zone because im super oily around that area. I use a powder brush from eco tools to apply and it gives me a nice matte finish, i don't use a sponge or puff because it will look kinda chalky if you pack on the powder onto your face. overall it's definitely one of the better drugstore pressed powders out there.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/15/2008 2:59:00 PM More reviews by librarian_girl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Maybelline Dream Matte Pressed Powder really surprised me. I picked this up on sale expecting just another not so finely milled, no color or coverage pressed powder that wouldn't do squat to control oil. I was wrong!
    Dream Matte is a very finely milled powder that applies without a trace of powdery-ness or cakiness. The feel on the skin is weightless. As the name states, the finish is matte but not overly or unnaturally so with a soft-focus quality. Coverage is sheer to light. Oil blotting and control are excellent. No breakouts or other skin issues to report with its use. I'm NW20 and the Fair shade works well for my skintone.
    Where Dream Matte falters is the ridiculous packaging. The powder puff is housed, with the mirror, directly below the powder in a separate compartment. The puff/mirror section swivels when you twist it the opposite direction of the powder section. This setup is neither fast nor discreet to use.
    Once you get the whole contraption open and swiveled, you've got to orient it so that you can use the powder, puff and mirror all at once. After about 3 uses the mirror became streaked and dusty with transfer from the puff.
    Let me be clear, there is no size difference between this and other powder compacts. This is not a clever IKEA-like space saving design. When the whole thing-a-ma-jig is open, it's like a convertible sofa bed.
    In summary, Dream Matte powder is a dreamy powder housed in a puzzling origami-style compact. If you can get past the packaging, the powder inside is well worth the effort. My favorite pressed powder is MAC Blot and while Dream Matte powder compares very favorably, for the time being, I'm willing to pay a few dollars more for the easy-to-use MAC Blot compact.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/12/2007 2:35:00 PM More reviews by IvoryLady

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

First, a little about me: I have very fair, oily skin that is acne prone. My face is mostly clear lately, but I still have issues with large pores and dark marks from previous breakouts.

Getting right to the point, Dream Matte Powder is my new favorite and beats out all others I've tried, including the popular MAC Blot powder. I don't normally get excited about powders, because they seem to make only a minimal difference in how my makeup lasts. But wow, this one is different!

I purchased the lightest shade - called "Fair (Light 0-1)". It's seriously one of the best matches I've found for my ultra pale skin. It leans slightly yellow, but really this goes on so sheer that I doubt it'd be an issue for most people. The finish is smooth and velvety, and very sheer. It goes over my foundation almost imperceptibly and actually keeps my face matte-- not dry or powdery, just not shiny-- practically all day. This isn't a miracle product of course, but after many weeks of use it's still keeping me matte without drying my skin out or causing breakouts.

I'm not fond of the swing out mirror/puff compartment packaging because it doesn't work very well in reality, but it was a neat idea anyway. I paid about $7 and I definitely feel it's worth the money. Will I repurchase? Sure!
    continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/29/2012 9:42:00 AM More reviews by FiestyFemme

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Ever since going off BC, my skin has turned into an oil slick. I mean an OIL SLICK, ugh. It's really sucked going from having normal to dry skin, to really oily skin. A few weeks ago, I decided I needed to find a good mattifying powder to use after blotting, otherwise I was just oily a couple hours later. I've previously used MAC Blot Powder, and while it was really good, I'm almost positive it clogged my pores (I'm also ridiculously acne-prone, lovely!). I've seen lots and lots of reviews for the Maybelline Dream Matte p/p, so I decided to take a chance when I found it on sale and had a coupon. I gotta say, I really like this stuff! I loved it so much that I started using it to set my makeup, as well as for touch-ups, and it really helps keep me matte much longer. I now only need to touch-up once a day, and sometimes not even that (if combined with a long-wearing, oil-controlling foundation). If you're oily, this is definitely worth a shot! I'm glad I took a chance, and I would definitely purchase this again as long as it keeps working so well for me.