4.3

rose (usually rose moschata or rosa rubiginosa) hip seed oil

Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral

I bought Aura Cacia's Organic Rose hip Seed Oil about 6 months ago and have had amazing results with it. First off, I have oily, sensitive skin and have tried almost every natural skin oil on the market to find something that doesn't make me break out more. Rose hip seed is my HG! I put it on when my face is still wet after cleansing, it sinks right into my skin like dumping water on a a thirsty plant. It smooths out wrinkles, gives you a healthy glow and has shaved years off my appearance due to a smoking habit that I've recently FINALLY been able to stop completely. I recommend this product to everyone I meet, it's worth the 14-16$. Has a shelf life of 6 months but I find that if you refrigerate it like it says to do on the bottle, it lasts longer. Even if it didn't, I would definitely buy it again :)

on 7/29/2015 4:26:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This oil is very great ! I have an oily skin and often use rosehip seed oil in the winter. Before sleeping, I massage my face with 2 drops (after using toner and before night cream) and sometime for lips (maybe just 1 drop for lips). So in the cold weather, I still have a healthy and moist skin
I think you should use shea butter instead of moisture cream after rosehip oil. It is really a perfect couple

on 5/30/2015 6:55:00 PM

I buy rosehip facial oil from my local health shop, it is the only facial oil I have tried which hasn't broke me out. I have tried 3 other high street brand facial os which have caused spots, this must be because the ingredients are not pure. I apply rosehip facial oil every morning and evening, massaging it into my skin before I apply moisturiser. It has really helped to hydrate my skin and lock in moisture, this is now part of my skincare routine and I will continue to use.

on 5/29/2015 4:03:00 AM

I have sensitive skin, i.e prone to develope large spots if I use to strong a product. Have tried MANY expensive brands which have in the past caused breakouts, pretty much instantly. My skin is also on the oiler side so have for obvious reasons avoided adding more oils to it!
But having read so many good things about rose oil I decided to give it a go.
I have now been using pure cold pressed rose seed oil for two days and I can already tell the difference!
I use a few drops at before bedtime, which I apply after spraying my face with Avene thermal water and honestly, I am very impressed!
It feels great, so far it hasn't caused any breakouts, its cheap( 14), doesn't make the skin feel oily at all and I have been waking up with dewy and very soft skin.
My favourite thing about it is that it has after just three days given my skin a glow which is visible through makeup!
Of all the moisturisers I have tried none has performed as well as this after such a short time.
Hopefully it won't cause breakouts, but I don't think it will. Normally if my skin doesn't like a product it will reap it's terrible revenge pretty much instantaneously!
I'd definitely recommend rose seed oil a go to anyone!

on 5/6/2015 6:25:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

After reading about rosehip seed oil (RSO) a few years ago, I bought and tried it. A cold pressed organic kind and whilst I gained plump skin, I also gained extra spots, so I stopped using and used in my body/hair butter.

Last July, after I wanted to bring my skincare steps down (abhorrent on makeupalley I know) a friend gave me some of her Rhassoul clay to use as a facial cleanser. Well that stuff balanced my skin nicely but made my skin a little dryer, I also found I had no need for my glycolic acid serum nor my BHA facial creme. I saw online a blogger how RSO helped her with her acne dark spots and I wanted to try again, so I bought RSO online and tried again. This time I diluted it with grapeseed oil 50:50 in a little dropper bottle recycled from a essential oil (cleaned out!) and BOOM my skin lapped it up. Couple of drops after cleansing, on a damp face and it soaked in beautifully. Able to put sunscreen and make up on almost immediately but more importantly no spots and no irritation. This cleanser then oil regimen had left my skin in better shape than anything my doctor, beautician or the beauty hall could offer me. By September I noticed my post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (PIP) had all but disappeared. I liked looking at my skin.

Change of season and the RSO/grapeseed oil mix wasn't cutting it my skin was dryer, so I looked in my kitchen cupboards and used ricebran oil 50% and RSO 50%... I also started to seal aloe vera gel instead of just water with my oil mix as well. Well by December I was getting complements on my skin and my hyperpigmemtation on my lower face had greatly reduced, so much so I go without makeup most days.

Spring now and rice bran oil is a little rich.... back to grapeseed oil or maybe a mix of the grapeseed and ricebran oils with the 50% RSO.

So if you first don't succeed, try diluting it. If you look at RSO as an active ingredient then some can use at full strength, others like myself at 50% or even at 25%.

my skin type: acne prone, irritable, mature, combination, with hyperpigmentation on lower half of face. HTH.
x

on 4/21/2015 12:17:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

After seeing a reviewer on this item post her before and after pics, I was sold. I couldn't help it! Her skin looked 2000x better. I know I shouldn't be so naive because it could've been a fake just to get more buyers on mountain herb but I did not care lol. I went ahead and purchased off mountain herb a large bottle and I will NEVER EVER live without it. I'm writing this review after a month and plan to update every so often. After getting froggy and trying oil (coconut, argan, evoo, jojoba) on my face in the past with terrible results, I was really skeptical. But I thought **** it. My skin is kinda somewhat damaged anyway. Just a few details on my skin: very acne prone. If I look at my skin wrong it breaks out. Not very sensitive. And really oily. Mild scarring. Mostly very shallow and light scars. Nothing major but I try to avoid certain lighting because it accentuates so well.. I received my bottle and transferred some oil into a vial with a dropper. I apply it twice every morning and every night! The first night I used it, I slapped it on my face and thought "here goes nothing." The next morning I woke up to beautiful plump, supple, gorgeous clear skin!! I will admit, I thought it was from my homemade vitamin c serum which I started using around the same time. I used it day and night as well as the c serum and I started to notice I was getting black heads.. Although I'm very prone to acne and used to have terrible cystic acne, I've never had a problem with blackheads. I stopped using the oil and stuck with my serum and so the black heads stuck. Finally I gave up on the c serum and tried one more time with the oil and the oil alone. Now, every single day I wake up with beautiful skin. It clears anything that might pop up on my face and it's so glowing and healthy. Forgive me for my novel but something this good skincare wise only happens to me once every never so when it does happen, I shout from the roof tops.

on 4/20/2015 2:10:00 PM

Skin: Other, Fair, Warm

I decided to try rosehip oil on the fine lines under my eyes before bed. This is a real problem area for me as I cannot wear highlighters, concealer, or even foundation under my eyes as the lines seem to be exacerbated by any kind of product.

After trying the rosehip oil, the skin under my eyes was super smooth, looked plumper, and the lines were visibly reduced! I have decided that rosehip oil will be my go-to nighttime eye treatment The brand I have is called Life-Flo, and it comes in a one-ounce dropper bottle. The cost was under $6 online.

on 4/5/2015 12:51:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Unfortunately, the Trilogy brand rosehip seed oil made my skin itch like crazy. I used if for a few days, once a day, and it made my skin look smooth and even. But by day 4, my skin started to itch like crazy (no other new products used). So this won't work for me.

on 2/1/2015 5:32:00 PM

I don't think the brand is particularly important as long as you buy pure, cold-pressed oil. Mine is from Life Flo Health and is $5-6 for 1 oz. on iherb, which is very reasonable, especially since you only need a few drops per use. I love the fact that this brand packages the oil in a dark glass dropper bottle, which makes dispensing very easy.

I have normal skin that tends to get a little oilier in warm weather but is very dry in cold weather. It is sensitive and can clog up and break out if I put the wrong thing on it, especially on certain days of the month. I also have a small, stubborn patch of seborrheic dermatitis near my eye.

I've been using this oil almost everyday for about 3 weeks. I apply a few drops to seal in a hydrating serum by Andalou Naturals and a moisturizing cream by BWC. My skin seems to stay moisturized better if I layer products like this. What I really like about rosehip seed oil is that it is a 'drier' oil, non-greasy and absorbs quickly without leaving a shiny finish. In that respect, it's a little better than argan oil to use under makeup during the day.

Another unexpected benefit is that it seems to have cleared up my seb derm. I've been using a pyrithione zinc cream on it for months, which helped clear it up about 75%. But using the RHS oil has cleared it up 100%. No more dryness, scaling, redness, itchiness or irritation--it's wonderful!

I've done a little research online and found that rosehip seed oil is very high in linoleic acid vs. oleic acid (this link (http://www.minimalistbeauty.com/oils-specifically-for-acne-prone-skin/) says it's 44.1% to 13.9%, though the amount can vary according to the brand and manufacturing process). Seborrheic dermatitis, which is basically just facial dandruff (lovely image, huh?) is caused by Malassezia yeast, which feeds on oleic acid, which is naturally produced by our skin. The yeast excretes substances that irritate skin, which results in flaking, redness, irritation, itching, etc.

So if you have dandruff or seborrheic dermatitis, try to avoid applying oils to your skin or scalp that have a high percentage of oleic acid like avocado oil, shea oil, olive oil, sweet almond oil, etc.

I'm unsure how, but applying an oil with a higher percentage of lineoleic acid seems to have helped my skin a great deal. Perhaps the fatty acids are helping to repair the damaged lipid barrier? The woman at the link found that high linoleic acid oils helped combat her acne. Who knows? I'm just glad to have found something inexpensive that moisturizes and heals my skin without causing breakouts or exacerbating my dermatitis. I also like that it contains a natural form of vitamin A, which is good for anti-aging. I will gladly repurchase and recommend.

ETA: I stopped using this oil for a little while so I could see how my skin reacted to some new Rx treatments. The Aczone and Tazorac did a good job of obliterating most types of zits and smoothed my skin out, but I still had large, hard cysts (the kind without a head so they can't be extracted). They were driving me nuts because they would hang out on my jaw for weeks and weeks without budging and then invite a friend or two to come on over during my time of the month.

I remembered my rose hip oil and massaged a couple of drops into my jaw and chin area and then went to bed not expecting much. I was shocked to find that the cysts had significantly shrunk by morning. A few more days of daily and nightly application and all of the cysts were completely gone!

I do not engage in hyperbole when it comes to skincare stuff so I mean it when I say that rose hip oil is a miracle in a bottle. continued >>

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

I used to avoid putting any kind of oil on my face like the plague because of my acne-prone skin, but this one hasn't broken me out at all! I bought the Spa Nouveau brand Rose Hip Seed Oil from Marshall's for $10. After only a week of use, I noticed that my skin looked brighter and clearer, with some acne marks fading. I've recommended it to many clients as a result.

The Vitamin C in this must be very strong for it to have made a difference in such a short period of time. I had heard that Miranda Kerr swears by this stuff but never really bought into the hype. I had used Oridel Liquid Gem Face Oil last winter, which was great but was kind of expensive at $70+. I saw this at Marshall's and thought why not try it... and I'm glad I did!

I only use this at night as I found that it makes me oily skin too greasy under makeup. I mix it with Hada Labo Replenishing Hydrator, a hyaluronic acid serum, one pump of each, rub my hands together, and pat all over my face and neck. It's so hydrating and protects my skin from the dry winter air.

I'm so happy that I found this at such a good deal and that it doesn't break me out. I will continue to buy this for the rest of the winter.

Popular Face Skincare Products