February 26, 2015 | 1725 users online

Skincare - Face - Rosehip Seed Oil

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/1/2015 5:32:00 PM More reviews by jiney17

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I don't think the brand is particularly important as long as you buy pure, cold-pressed oil. Mine is from Life Flo Health and is $5-6 for 1 oz. on iherb, which is very reasonable, especially since you only need a few drops per use. I love the fact that this brand packages the oil in a dark glass dropper bottle, which makes dispensing very easy.

I have normal skin that tends to get a little oilier in warm weather but is very dry in cold weather. It is sensitive and can clog up and break out if I put the wrong thing on it, especially on certain days of the month. I also have a small, stubborn patch of seborrheic dermatitis near my eye.

I've been using this oil almost everyday for about 3 weeks. I apply a few drops to seal in a hydrating serum by Andalou Naturals and a moisturizing cream by BWC. My skin seems to stay moisturized better if I layer products like this. What I really like about rosehip seed oil is that it is a 'drier' oil, non-greasy and absorbs quickly without leaving a shiny finish. In that respect, it's a little better than argan oil to use under makeup during the day.

Another unexpected benefit is that it seems to have cleared up my seb derm. I've been using a pyrithione zinc cream on it for months, which helped clear it up about 75%. But using the RHS oil has cleared it up 100%. No more dryness, scaling, redness, itchiness or irritation--it's wonderful!

I've done a little research online and found that rosehip seed oil is very high in linoleic acid vs. oleic acid (this link (http://www.minimalistbeauty.com/oils-specifically-for-acne-prone-skin/) says it's 44.1% to 13.9%, though the amount can vary according to the brand and manufacturing process). Seborrheic dermatitis, which is basically just facial dandruff (lovely image, huh?) is caused by Malassezia yeast, which feeds on oleic acid, which is naturally produced by our skin. The yeast excretes substances that irritate skin, which results in flaking, redness, irritation, itching, etc.

So if you have dandruff or seborrheic dermatitis, try to avoid applying oils to your skin or scalp that have a high percentage of oleic acid like avocado oil, shea oil, olive oil, sweet almond oil, etc.

I'm unsure how, but applying an oil with a higher percentage of lineoleic acid seems to have helped my skin a great deal. Perhaps the fatty acids are helping to repair the damaged lipid barrier? The woman at the link found that high linoleic acid oils helped combat her acne. Who knows? I'm just glad to have found something inexpensive that moisturizes and heals my skin without causing breakouts or exacerbating my dermatitis. I also like that it contains a natural form of vitamin A, which is good for anti-aging. I will gladly repurchase and recommend.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/27/2015 5:23:00 PM More reviews by sweet_like_honey

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I used to avoid putting any kind of oil on my face like the plague because of my acne-prone skin, but this one hasn't broken me out at all! I bought the Spa Nouveau brand Rose Hip Seed Oil from Marshall's for $10. After only a week of use, I noticed that my skin looked brighter and clearer, with some acne marks fading. I've recommended it to many clients as a result.

The Vitamin C in this must be very strong for it to have made a difference in such a short period of time. I had heard that Miranda Kerr swears by this stuff but never really bought into the hype. I had used Oridel Liquid Gem Face Oil last winter, which was great but was kind of expensive at $70+. I saw this at Marshall's and thought why not try it... and I'm glad I did!

I only use this at night as I found that it makes me oily skin too greasy under makeup. I mix it with Hada Labo Replenishing Hydrator, a hyaluronic acid serum, one pump of each, rub my hands together, and pat all over my face and neck. It's so hydrating and protects my skin from the dry winter air.

I'm so happy that I found this at such a good deal and that it doesn't break me out. I will continue to buy this for the rest of the winter.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2015 11:28:00 PM More reviews by TenderTina

An essential daily product. This changed my skin drastically and I have used it for 3 years. It MUST be organic..not (just) pure. I wash my face (with carbolic soap), use toner & then THIS either on dripping wet skin or mix it with a few drops of water in my hand. Even perfect complection. I used to have acne in highschool. I have heard I look 15 years old.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/24/2014 6:10:00 PM More reviews by daisyismydog

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Unlike some of the other reviewers, I didn't notice significant fading of my hyperpigmentation or dramatic effects.

However, I enjoy using rosehip seed oil as an extra layer on top of my regular moisturizer. I find it sinks in easily on my dehydrated-normal skin and has a cosmetically elegant finish (I can use it during the day with no problem) as if I just have normal well-moisturized skin. The extra moisture it provides my skin also reduces my flakiness. I can also use it underneath makeup with no problem.

I do find it has a slight smell, somewhat woody but not of roses as you might expect from the name. I don't notice the smell after application though, and it's not unpleasant anyway. I normally purchase my rosehip seed oil from Garden of Wisdom, and I find that 1 oz lasts me about 3 months. I'm happy purchasing in smaller quantities since I've heard it can go rancid in ~6 months. Admittedly, that is a shorter shelf life than I would hope for.

Overall, this is an inexpensive oil that helps keep my skin in good shape without making me look greasy. I've gone through several ounces and I expect I will be buying it for a while.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/9/2014 8:26:00 PM More reviews by bomkin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Rosehip seed oil.. I'm not sure how to begin. It REALLY helped with my hyperpigmentation marks and scarring. I'm attaching before & after photos to this to show you what I mean. It's quite embarrassing to post pics of myself for a bunch of strangers on the internet to see, and YMMV for breaking out, but I really hope it helps someone out there, who suffers from the same problems I do.

Some background on my skin: I have EXTREMELY reactive, sensitive skin that is also combination and prone to breakouts. I only use baby products from head to toe, as everything else makes me itchy, red and swollen, break out, etc. (even ones labeled "for sensitive skin"). Birth control pills are the ONLY thing that finally ended my LONG, scarring battle with cystic acne. I am also a person of color, so that extra melanin makes me very, very prone to hyperpigmentation. My hyperpigmentation marks were EXTREMELY stubborn and refused to fade after years and years. Everyone told me to just leave them alone and they will fade, but they didn't. Then I would get them after EACH zit has made its nasty way onto my face and finally went away so they would keep building and building upon the old ones.

Over the course of about a decade, of course in addition to slathering on high spf, broad spectrum sunscreen everyday, I tried leaving them alone, lemon juice, baking soda (I know, terrible), sugar, aloe vera gel, LOTS of different plant oils, shea butter, tea tree oil, lavender oil, witch hazel, honey, oat flour, goat milk powder, yogurt, salicylic acid peels, 10% glycolic acid lotions and creams such as Walgreen's & Alpha Hydrox (which I used for several years), going vegetarian for 3 years, etc. Although some of these were wonderful for my other skin issues, none of them did jack on fading my marks. Most of them just made my sensitive skin worse. The harsh use of AHA (glycolic) every single day and the occasional salicylic acid peels were the WORST as they made me over-exfoliated and sensitive to the sun, making my marks darker. I was also a picker, so I have quite a few dents on my face, most notably on my cheeks and between my eyebrows (which is pretty embarrassing, because no matter how much makeup I use, the crater makes a shadow and is very noticeable). A "friend" in high school used to call me "crater face", which is funny NOW, but comments like these really took a toll on my self-esteem throughout the years.

Anyways, rosehip seed oil:

The first time I encountered it was when I started using Chagrin Valley S&S products. I was using their Squalane moisturizer, but broke out and tried their Seabuckthorn Rosehip Salve on my face at night. I used that for about 9 months, trying out their Seabuckthorn Tamanu facial oil sometime in between. I noticed that the salve reduced my hyperpigmentation marks a GREAT deal. The first four pictures shows how my face was while using the salve, after a good chunk of my hyperpigmentation has faded.

Full Size Image

Then I went straight for the rosehip oil after I determined that it probably wasn't the seabuckthorn/tamanu oil that was helping me so much. I did some intense searching for an affordable, high quality rosehip oil. I'm a college student living on a meager budget so price is really important to me. I never spend anything over $18 for beauty/skin care, especially since I've moved out. This is the only exception to that rule, which I took a deep breath and took a chance on. I ended up purchasing the giant 8 oz. bottle of Mountain Rose Herbs Rosehip Seed Oil, which is $21.25. It seemed insane to me at first since I'm on such a small budget, but at about $2.65 per oz, this was the lowest price I could find that was at best quality. Compared to many brands out there, this seemed INCREDIBLY cheap, especially coming from such a reputable company as MRH (if only the shipping wasn't $9~$14!).

Buying this was scary to me at first because if you've noticed, there's always a cryptic warning label about not using this oil on acne-prone skin. But I was already using the salve, so why not? Another thing that concerned me was that pure, cold-pressed rosehip seed oil goes rancid REAL fast. It NEEDS to be refrigerated and have minimal exposure to air. Lots of companies seem to add different things to it to stabilize it somewhat. MRH's oil is "winterized" and I'm not exactly sure what that means, but I trust this company and it extends the shelf life to 2 years. I pour a little bit into a 1 oz. pump bottle I got from GoW and keep the rest of the bottle tightly sealed, both in the fridge.

So I've been using it for about 6 months now, along with MRH's aloe vera gel. Wow, 6 months sure seems like forever when you're insecure about your skin everyday! The first thing I noticed was that it added a GLOW to my skin. I was surprised as it wasn't the over-exfoliated, tight, shiny effect, it's just a natural, healthy glow that makes me feel a little bad to have to cover with makeup because I'm trying to hide my acne marks. It improves the texture of my skin SO FREAKIN' MUCH. I also noticed it makes those pesky little pimples go away much faster. It's moisturizing enough on its own in the summer but it's not enough for me in the winter. This oil is really a god-send for me. Please inform me of how incredibly idiotic I'm being if I ever somehow stop using this. The progress has been slow but I can go out in public w/o makeup on now and not feel horrible! My dents have filled out quite a lot as well! I could cry! I still have hyperpigmentation, but I feel so much better about my skin now. The last picture is after 2 months of usage. :) Please remember that my skin in photos look much better than it does in real life! That's including the photos above. :)

36 out of 37 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 10/21/2014 2:51:00 AM More reviews by leeyinmei

I bought rosehip seed oil from Life Flo after hearing and reading good reviews about it. Indeed all the promises are true and this is an extremely inexpensive and effective product.

It mosturizes dry skin and keeps it well hydrated even in air conditioning. It does not cause milia and last a long time. Only one negative point- the smell! I can put up with it as it cost only S$10 dollars for a small bottle that lasts as ony 2-3 drops are needed each time
An excellent investment- highly recommend

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2014 11:01:00 AM More reviews by Mimiyu23

My skincare staple! I love the brand KOSMEA. I have tried trilogy,pai, and shea terra rose hip oil. But this is my favorite! I find it the most effective in making my skin plump, hydrated, nourish, and the best part it lightens pimple scars,age spots,and dark spots! I only have praises for this oil! If you haven't tried this! Your missing out! 100% pure organic retinol in a bottle!

rated 2 of 5 on 9/27/2014 5:23:00 AM More reviews by naivenids

I started using it 3 months back..texture of my skin improved but it caused me acne on my face ,particularly on nose area and on cheeks and most surprising part is that i got lots of acne on my both shoulders too...i still wonder how??...
I stopped using it and gradually my face became clear from red small acne ..i again gave it a try last week..and again got same problem on 5th day of using it...
Someone , please suggest me a good oil for face,i have very sensitive skin

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/19/2014 2:20:00 PM More reviews by izzybella

I've been using this oil for the last couple months and it's just ok. I bought it because it's a natural source of Vitamin A and I have some dark spots that need fading, but I haven't noticed any appreciable difference in my dark spots. Performance-wise, rosehip seed oil is about the same as argan oil to me - it's good at hydrating the skin, but that's about it. Rosehip seed oil seems to absorb more quickly than argan oil though.

The scent isn't the best, so I only use this as a nighttime moisturizer. It starts off fishy, then has some barley-like notes that remind me of roasted barley tea. If you're familiar with sea buckthorn oil, this has a similar scent, but fishier.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/28/2014 6:18:00 PM More reviews by curren3

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I may have to update this review at some point, because I am terrified of breakouts after reading everywhere that rose hip oil is bad for acne prone skin. I have used it for 3 days trying to recover from peel. So far so good, although I still feel dry. My skin is starting to look a little better. I got a bottle from ASDM. It says its cold pressed and from Chile, which seems to be the go to place for rose hip oil.

The smell is very familiar...like very! And i've never used it before. I can't perfectly place it, but it smells exactly like something used on horse tack (saddles, bridles etc.). I don't know if I should be worried that this is neatsfoot oil (which is from the fat in cows legs...stays liquid at cold temperatures) or if rose hip oil is in some other leather care item. Anyway, the smell is hard to describe...a tiny bit fishy, slightly olive oil like, earthy and horse like (but I think that is just my association with it).

I don't know how it is supposed to look, feel, smell, so not sure on quality. The color is fairly light, maybe even clear. But, its nicely packaged in a dark brown bottle so its hard to see. At least a few drops on my finger looks clear.

Fingers crossed it works for my extremely dry skin. Oil has always worked really well for me and never made me break out, so hoping that continues with this.

5 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No