November 23, 2014 | 1991 users online

Hair Color - Color Oops - Regular Strength Hair Color Remover

image 0image 1image 2

rated 1 of 5 on 11/18/2014 4:23:00 PM More reviews by Zubzoo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

Before using Color Oops, I had bleached my hair to blonde, and soon after dyed it black. I used Color Oops with the hopes of removing the black to return to blonde but the most it did was lighten it slightly. At that point I immediately thought it was a waste of $20. So again, with the hopes of returning to blonde, I purchased bleach and followed my routine as usual. The results? Nothing. I'm assuming the chemicals of the Color Oops have prevented the bleach from its own chemical reaction. I now still have ugly slightly brown hair and $30 out of my pocket. I can't get my money back and apparently can't even fix my hair. Would not recommend this product. My hair is ruined, the money was not worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2014 10:46:00 PM More reviews by KimLisbon

I never ever ever write reviews unless I feel like i absolutely HAVE to tell the world about it and so here I am. Background: typical asian silky straight black hair. Been dying it probably at least once a year since i was 13. Im lucky though and my hair is straight and strong and shiny and grows super fast. I also never use heat or styling products and always air dry, never brush just go through it with a wide toothed comb or my fingers. I normally buy two boxes of whatever drugstore hair dye, one in a burgundy and one in a brown and mix them and put the whole thing in my hair. about 90% of the time it doesn't do much but recently i had a nice thing going on with some natural dark brown (not on purpose just cause i'm shitty with dying my own hair) mixed in with a bunch of light/dark browns and red/burgundies with the ends of my hair being the lightest (almost orange-blond in some places) it all looked very nice and not overdone but my roots were growing out pretty long and i have no patience for the ombre thing so i decided to dye it.

i had noticed that garnier had a new kind of hair dye, one that was specifically for dark hair (think its called ultra something) so i picked a red one, like a dark dark cherry red with some copper in it, thinking meh maybe ill get a shade lighter than i normally do. i also picked up some nice'n easy root touch up in light brown to mix it in as previously i liked a little more red than brown.

i mix it up like always, it looks weird like bright bubblegum pink but i slather it on and put on a cap and 20 minutes later my hair is SHINY MAGENTA. It was like that punk rock cherry red thats really dark but just glows in the sun. MOrtified. I'm a science teacher so its not really what i was going for. I had to go to work for a day before i could do anything about it and ALL THE KIDS commented on it.

googled for like, three hours for options. The safest and cheapest at the time seemed to be the Vitamin C method, which involves crushing up vitamin c tablets with a cheap clarifying shampoo ( i used johnsons baby...surprisingly damaging to hair) and it did actually manage to get some color out but i was still unhappy with how it looked. way too bright and red for my liking, the most its ever been. the next best option seemed to be color oops so I went out and bought two boxes of the yellow kind plus a box of garnier light ash brown in case i messed up. came home, mixed it up and went to work.

I applied it to my dry hair pouring the mixture right into my gloved hands and sliding it over my hair and using a comb to get it as thoroughly as i could (it gets REALLY stiff so i was afraid to pull very hard) wrapped it in a cap and sat for 25 minutes, the absolute max time i had read to do it, Then in the shower with hot water and a 35 minute podcast playing (i HIGHLY recommend this, most of the reviews talked about how long and boring the rinsing part was and this made it way better) I read that the rinsing is the most important part so i did it well, almost 40 minutes (or until my hot water ran out) with about 4 or 5 shampoos with johnsons baby, with one shampoo in the middle with my boyfriends super strong anti dandruff shampoo that neutrogena one that looks like maple syrup. when the water started to cool i put in my regular conditioner in 5x the amount (that organix sulfate free kind) and rinsed some more. when the water got cold i stopped.

even as i wrapped my hair in a towel, i could see the front part my bangs that were poking out a bit, were no longer red!! they were a brown tone. I knew immediately that this was good news as when i initially dried my hair after dying it the day before, the wet hair was still highlighted very noticebly red. a even bigger boost of confidecne was when i scooped out the hair in the shower drain (a little more than usual, but nothing terrible but again, i have very strong healthy hair to begin with) and didnt see any red tones either. my hair isnt even completely dry as i type this right now and i can already tell that almost all of that terrible gothic red/magenta is gone!!

Things i Would have done differently if i could 1) gotten just one: i bought two boxes and only needed one for my bra strap length hair, and it was expensvie and i threw away the receipt 2) brought a liter of cold ass water in the shower with me. my god i almost fainted and at one point almost got nauseous. this is by far the worst part of the process that steambath lol

That's really it. I was very very satisfied with this product and it did pretty much exactly what I wanted it to do. A lot of people on here were blondes using it and i think it works better on light hair but it worked at least, to do what it promises to do: take out the color of your last dye job. I did it within 24 hours of dying my hair so i dunno about long term dyes, the rest of my hair looks pretty much the same as it did before and it feels okay not damaged too much. maybe a bit drier. and the smell was really not that bad, yeah it stunk and i coughed a few times but just light a damn candle and suck it up.

Would recommend this! for red hair dye on darker hair at least. just remember to comb it through really well and rinse for as long as your body can physically stand it/until the hot water runs out.

The first photo is about an hour after the initial dye job, almost totally dry and in direct sunlight. i needed to know how bad it was so this is obviously the brightest that i ever had it and its BRIGHT, i was super upset at this point. i had gone to the store with wet hair and i could see the damn reflection of the red radiatiing in the reflecting store walls. the second picture is immediately after the color oops, hair dry under bright indoor lights. much better and way more neutral obviously. i read a lot about how the color can darken or go back a few days later but even if i had a little more red in my hair right now i wouldnt be disappointed. SO HAPPY NOW!!!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/27/2014 9:37:00 AM More reviews by hipchick66

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

This is for the Extra Conditioning version. I'm a natural blonde who colors my hair different shades all the time, using permanent dye. This round I went from pale blonde, reddish blonde, light auburn to bright auburn, then decided I wanted my blonde back. My only hope for this product was that it would remove most of the red so I could re color my hair to a medium golden blonde. I wasn't expecting miracles, but lo and behold, I applied this and rinsed exactly per instructions and when I was done, I had the prettiest pale yellow/golden blonde that does not need to be colored! My hair is a little dried out, but nothing near what bleaching would have done. As for the smell, yes it's not pleasant, but who cares when it works this well!

rated 1 of 5 on 8/5/2014 9:12:00 PM More reviews by lisathor90

Stay away!!! I was so excited to try this out. I wanted to remove the black dye I previously used about 4 months ago because I was going Ash brown. Let me tell ya this, this remover stinks sooooo much. It smells like I have a rotten egg or a dead invisible animal on my head. Lol it is so bad. It removed only a little at the bottom of my hair, other than that I would NOT recommend this item because it does a horrible job and it stinks so badddd.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/13/2014 2:16:00 PM More reviews by upinspace

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

For all you looking to remove vegi based dyes (like manic panic and nrage) this will NOT work.

Anyways, I've found this brand to be a lot smellier than others I've tried. The smell really stinks up everything it touches and leaves the fume lingering for awhile.

The color stripping aspect of it is ok. I had to use it twice to get my black hair down to a dark blonde. Again, the smell really sticks to your hair.

Also, be aware that although this doesn't have peroxide it may strip the colors off any clothing you have so just be careful.

One plus to this product is that they do give you a pretty good amount so you're less worried that you'll cover your head.

Overall, an ok color stripper in a pinch but you can find better. Loreal carries one that's really good.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/13/2014 9:17:00 PM More reviews by mariadoabarrelroll

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

If you're using to remove a funky color such as, manic panic or punky color AVOID at all cost.

I decided to listen to a friend and give it a try, so instead of going back to the light orange it was bleached to from being pink/purple, my WHOLE head went blue!
Not suggesting to anyone to use.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/4/2014 8:42:00 AM More reviews by alh011

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is a review for regular strength color oops.

I had years of black dye on my naturally mousy brown hair which I've been trying to grow out but got impatient with the ends so decided to give this a go.

I wasn't expecting miracles. In fact I doubt there's any product that can totally remove dry from your hair other than a good cut!

I followed the directions to the letter, although my house was quite cool so I used a hair dryer on my hair for a few minutes.

I rinsed for a long time as per the directions and much to my surprise a fair amount of the dark colour had been removed. It's not back to my natural hair colour but I didn't think that would be possible anyway. It's a brown orange colour a shade or two lighter with copper tones.

This didn't dry my hair as much as bleach does, so I'll give it a few weeks for my hair or get back to a better condition then I'll apply a 2nd bottle, perhaps then a toner to help with the copper tones.

One thing is the smell is pretty bad. It smelt like rotten mangos to me.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/23/2014 9:22:00 PM More reviews by pepesassy

I'm glad to see so many people are happy with this product. Alas, my experience with the regular and extra strength product were very disappointing. I didn't expect the color fairy to come down and remove the color, but I did expect SOME results. I have permanent brown on top of my natural mostly-gray. Just one layer of color on top of my natural color. I first tried the regular strenth and not only did it not remove the color but it left an ugly red tinge. So I tried the extra strengrh with the same result. I followed the instructions to the letter even with extra rinsing since that was emphasized on the instructions. My water heater is thanking me for turning it off.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/7/2014 8:38:00 PM More reviews by Jenna0011

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Okay, this is the absolute worst product to ever put on your hair. It's greasy & runs down your hair way too fast. It never did it's job, either; I did a bad dye job attempting to do my hair purple, I used this. It made my roots black & my hair up top lighter blonde & it's still purple. Waste of money. It smells more disgusting than any product you've used before. Guaranteed. I'm sick to my stomach after using it. Literally.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/4/2014 3:08:00 PM More reviews by AngelaStalker

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have spent the past year getting blonde highlights from the salon. I was so in love with my hair and constantly got compliments on it, but one day I had an impulse to go reddish blonde.........terrible idea. I thought I ruined my hair color for good. I knew that if I applied blonde dye over my red hair that it would react badly, but then I remembered this product and wanted to give it a try, It worked so good, maybe it was because I had a light red in my hair that it was so easy/fast to get rid of, I don't know.

After using this I was back to blonde, I had a few orange tones so I used Wella t18 toner and it got all of the orange out. Now I have what I call Taylor Swift ashy blonde hair. It isn't the old color I lost, but it is a start and much better than the red I had

Also, every review I have read complains about the smell. Am I the only one who thought it had a nice fruity smell? Maybe I am just not sensitive to smells, but I didn't smell anything bad.

In short, i loved this stuff and in the future if I ever want to change my color, then go back to blonde I know that it is now possible.