October 24, 2014 | 1403 users online

Hair Color - Clairol - Brass Free Brunettes

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/12/2013 4:21:00 PM More reviews by monicaandree

I love this product!!! Ok, let me start by saying that it's all about expectations vs. reality when it comes to at home haircolor. It seems that a lot of people use this after bleaching or lightening their hair and are pissed when it comes out darker. That is going to happen with ANY color! When you lift color out of hair, you literally lift the cuticle surrounding the hair shaft, leaving it open. Color molocules have a much easier time adhering to the hair shaft, thus, if you color after bleaching or lightening, expect to end up with a shade much darker than what you select. Tone, instead. That said, I was a recent victim of at home lightening. Even as a seasoned at home hair pro with many hairdresser friends/relatives, I had some difficulty lifting my dark espresso brown hair to it's natural ash blonde state (think going from a level 7/8 to 5/6) I ended up with a light to medium caramel brown - in good light. As the days passed, my hair became increasingly red and brassy. Fortunately I had babied my roots so I had no hot roots, but I had a lot of mixed colors through the length-brown, red, and dark blonde. Not a good look (unless one is a tabby cat).

I tried coloring my hair twice with a level 5 dark ash blonde in an attempt to remove the red tones, to no avail. I even tried adding green food coloring to my shampoo to neutralize the pesky red. No bueno. So, I decided to give up my blonde ambitions and go back to brunette.

Now, I realized that by bleaching and subsequently lifting twice, I was going to have to treat lightly. I chose the Natural Instincts Brass Free Brunettes in medium brown because I wanted a deposit only color. Remember - my hair cuticles were lifted and I knew I needed to avoid any permanent/dark brown color lest I end up with super saturated black, inky hair. In regards to that color refresh packet - I just tossed it. Those type of things almost always deposit reddish pigments, which is was I was trying to avoid.

I saturated my hair with the dye and left it on a total of 20 minutes, even though the package says 10. I didn't want to risk coming out red again, and wanted the color to really deposit. After rinsing well, using the conditioner that comes with the package, blow drying and styling - hel-LO beautiful hair! My hair is silky, shiny, and super soft. It doesn't smell at all and best of all, the color is phenomenal. Even toned, rich medium brown without a hint of brassiness. There are some warm tones peeking through here and there, and they are very flattering - almost like a caramel lowlight effect. I can't believe how well this product works!

So, if you need something deposit only that will deepen your hair color, even out a hair color mistake, or just leave you with richer tones, try this. If you have lightened your hair and are expecting this to leave you with light/medium brown hair, think again. Overall - excellent product and I will absolutely use it again when I start fading!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/30/2013 1:28:00 PM More reviews by AngeRose

I used this to help fix a botched coloring at the salon. I have medium brown hair, but wanted to go lighter, but my stylist turned me orange. This helped restore my natural hair color without the brassy tones.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/30/2013 1:04:00 PM More reviews by tori497

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought and used 6.5 (Lightest Brown) as an at home corrective measure. I used a brand I never had before (Nice n' Easy) and ended up with the dreaded "hot roots" and an overall brassy tone. I went to a colorist who said this likely happened because I did not leave the color on long enough so the developer (peroxide) lifted slightly but the color did not deposit fully. He did an expensive demi fix on me but it was still warmer (and darker) than I like.

I waited a month for things to settle down and purchased this color. I REALLY like the results! Granted my hair was pretty darn brassy to begin with, this toned it down quite a bit to a more believable, warm light brown. I did use Ardell Un Red drops (20) so I cannot be certain if it was all the color or the combination. I am thinking it is MORE the color because even though the Un Red DID turn the color mixture dark, it did NOT darken the results, like others using Un Red with success have experienced. The color was very easy to apply and I had plenty to cover all my hair (I have lower back length, fine but copious hair). I left on for 15 minutes and rinsed. The rinsing went a lot easier than most other colors and the conditioner is THE BOMB!! Seriously, I wish they sold it on its own. As for the color refresher, I am NOT going to take any chances by using it. I have heard it is RED. As soon as I opened the box, I threw it out.

My hair is not dried out at all (and I have semi and demi perm.ed in the last two months) and the conditioner makes my hair SO silky. I have sworn off at home hair color for a while but if I do decide to color again, I will use this!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/30/2013 11:23:00 AM More reviews by suzanneb

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Tried this in 6C yesterday, I left it on 15 minutes because my medium brown hair was going towards a lot of brassy, orangy red tones, it made my hair medium brown and it took some of the brass but the color is not see thru, it's all a solid color which I hate, no dimension to it and it's very dry at the moment with lots of frizz even though I left the conditioner on for 30 minutes.
Hopefully it will fade as I wash it.
Frizzy, dry, ugly hair, never, ever again!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/20/2013 9:34:00 PM More reviews by gracieflo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This made my hair orange. It does not do what it is supposed to. Awful. Even worse it dried out my hair. Do not buy if you want truly brass-free hair.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/10/2012 2:41:00 PM More reviews by Fuuka1209

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

Bought this because I do not like the new formula of the regular Clairol Natural Instincts. I had used a Japanese hair dye that was not ammonia free and ended up with brassy roots! I let it grow out and hoped that it would wash out. Most of it did, but it was becoming noticeable as my darker roots grew out. It looks like a brass halo!
So I bought this in light brown and it completely took it out! My hair is now all one color now.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/26/2012 7:45:00 PM More reviews by orphansparrow

I agree with many others here saying they would never use Natural Instincts "Brass-Free" color again. I used the Brass Free Brunettes color in medium brown. After my hair dried, I noticed a bright gold halo affect all on the outside of my hair. Odd I thought. Well the next day, the color had turned a bright, sparkly ORANGE red. That the exact opposite of what I wanted to happen.

So I feel better knowing it's not just me, but I agree with a lot of others here. It can do the opposite of what you want it to do.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/18/2012 8:05:00 AM More reviews by bagsbg

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

OMG , the color treatment that I put in my hair (per packaging) made my hair RED RED RED.. you heard of carrot top..
NEVER again will I buy this or suggest this to anyone else. I am very dissapointed in this product. I was trying to get the red out, I look like Im on fire- RED RED RED hair.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/23/2011 11:07:00 AM More reviews by krisgra

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Grey

I have been dying my hair with a mahogganey brown onto my original light ash brown hair. Recently I've noticed that it was getting even more copperish each time I dyed it and wanted it w/o any copper undertones. I have tried light ash brown from Garnier, which worked to eliminate some but not all of my copper undertones. After using that, I came across the Brass Free Light Brown in Clairol, hmmm thought maybe this would work better to counteract with the brass, after reading reviews, I decided to try it WITHOUT the color revitalizer. The dye, I thought actually brought out MORE of the reddish tones in hair, not elimating them at all. Although the brown was the perfect shade of light-med brown. If you are trying to get copper undertones out, already have a medium-light brown color and want a very light brown color, I suggest the light ash brown in Garnier, as that is the only one that has helped to to get rid of these ugly copper undertones.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/8/2011 9:57:00 AM More reviews by mm101

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

To 'horkusone' and others:
You should phone 1 800 Clairol to report any problems or concerns. They need to know.
The Clairol rep recently told me that all Natural Instincts are to be used on wet hair, and that the new directions saying apply to dry hair are typos. I haven't tried the non brassy formula, but I was forced to try the new formula for Natural Instincts, and had very poor results, and red scalp for over a week. I won't risk trying the brass-free as I had no problems with the original formula; loved it.
You might also find the comments on the imabeautygeek site helpful on this topic. I'm not sure if posting the direct link is alright with this site, so just Google "natural instincts orange roots", and you will see them.
NI changes overall do not seem to be good, and that's being kind. Many long term users (including me) were VERY happy with the old formulas. Clairol and P&G needs to know that.