November 21, 2014 | 1601 users online

Hair Treatments - Alterna - Alterna Life Scalp Solution Elixir

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2007 1:25:00 PM More reviews by hapapower

Thanks to gypcc's wonderful advice, I have used this product regularly and leave it on overnight (can't do more than that though). The thing that drives me crazy about this elixir is that it makes my hair look really greasy, and I just refuse to go about town with my hair looking that nasty. So the nighttime regimen works best. I put a towel on my pillow, adjust to the strong tea tree oil/medicinal smell of this product, and go to sleep. I wash it out the next morning, and although it's kind of greasy, it washes out very easily with one shampoo. When I first used this, I was still pretty itchy. Then I used it 2-3 times a week for the past 3 weeks, and I really have noticed that the itchiness and flaking have DRAMATICALLY subsided. This morning, when I washed my hair after an overnight scalp soak in this elilxir, I had NO itching, and didn't even turn to my emergency tonic before leaving for work...yay!!! I have made some big changes in my haircare routine lately...no dandruff shampoos, SLS free shampoo by Pureology, Alterna Elixir and emergency applications of Philip Kingsley Scalp Tonic or Aveda Scalp Remedy. Having battled seborrheic dermatitis since childhood, I was ready for a big change and wanted to go more natural with my remedies. I couldn't bring myself to do the ACV remedy because I am so sensitive to smells and I'd be miserable. So here's the conclusion: 1) SLS free shampoo (I wash my hair every other day) 2) Alterna Scalp Remedy 1-2 times per week (who knows, this may drop down to a lesser frequency with time). 3) Emergency treatment with PK tonic or Aveda remedy. No more itchies with this regimen, and it's not too much of pain to do. I'm willing to pay the arm and leg required to keep these products in stock because my scalp is so happy now...UPDATE: So now I use the Alterna once a week, shampoo with SLS free shampoo 3-4 shampoos in a row, shampoo with Nizoral about once every 2-3 weeks, and use the PK Tonic or Aveda remedy a couple of times a week for "hot spots". Seems to be working well. I've got itchies today but that could be because it's been over a week since I used the Alterna and also because the Santa Ana Winds are supposed to kick up again in So Cal and dry up everything. I now have 19 frickin' cans of this stuff...can't run out! It's so cool that I don't have to use coal tar or selenium sulfide on my scalp anymore!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2007 2:04:00 PM More reviews by gypcc

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I recently found this at a products place in our local mall & purchased it because it was on sale ($9.99 & I'm going back to buy what ever they have left) and because I've been suffering soooooo badly w/scaly dandruff at the back of my head...

I'll give you some background:
I've tried the Jojoba oil treatment that I read so much about here... and while it sort of relieved some of the insane itching... it really didnt do much but sooth....

I've also tried straight up Tea Tree Oil which was better than the Jojoba but my dh HATED.... and i mean that... HATED the smell of it... so I would reserve that for dire emergencies.

Please note that I have very healthy long straight hair, that behaves well, except for this insane crusty dry flakeage at the back of my head. It's almost like scabs (if i scratch at it which sometimes you can't help but do). My scalp isnt very oily or very dry...

Pyrithicone shampoos and treatments cause my scalp & hair to oil up. So I avoid those types of products. (altho head & shoulders dry scalp relief leave in treatment isnt THAT bad and i'll use it occassionally only on the affected area).

Okay....
So this elixir.... after one use (left overnite) I noticed the scales... are gone. I used the treatment a second time (this wk/end) and I couldn't be more thrilled...

I'm in love w/the packaging, because it allows you to spray directly to your scalp and there's definitely tea tree in the product HOWEVER, it's not as strong smelling as straight up tea tree oil.

I really have to say I'm thrilled. I'm going to try their other life, scalp solutions products. I know that I got the item at a ridiculously low price (i've seen it online for upwards of $20) but I'd pay $20 and be happy..... really

the following details are from haircareusa.com (where i located the products available online)

Calm and soothe dry, itchy and irritated scalp with Alterna Life Scalp Solution Elixir. This concentrated pre-treatment precisely targets areas of dryness or irritation on the scalp for soothing relief. Combines advanced active ingredients including Tea Tree Oil and Eastern botanical extracts with nutrient activating enzymes to control flaking and restore balance to the scalp.

Application
Spray Alterna Life Scalp Solution Elixir directly onto affected areas of the scalp. Massage well into scalp and leave on for 15-20 minutes to allow elixir to be absorbed. For more concentrated results, elixir may be left on overnight. Follow with Alterna Life Scalp Solution Shampoo and Conditioner