December 22, 2014 | 1823 users online

Hair Color - Amphigory - Special Effects in Blood Red

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2013 8:22:00 PM More reviews by orenjinominh

My hair is naturally a dark brown dyed light brown dyed light auburn. The temp color is pretty and vibrant, but I wanted to kick it up a notch and prolong and preserve the color. After I shampoo, I apply this over my roots and near the top of my head thinly, put my hair up, and sleep on a towel. Of course it bleeds terribly all over. But, I wake up and wash my hair and condition and the color is so amazing. It takes the color to a multi dimensional place that is pure magic.
My hair doesn't feel any dryer or softer. But I want to incorporate this into my schedule every time I shower (every 3 days) so that I can keep the red in my hair longer. One bad thing is buying online and waiting forever, and it's not cheap for how much you get and how often you have to apply. Wish there was such a thing as red color depositing shampoo. Please let me know if you know of one.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/16/2012 9:12:00 PM More reviews by tithegirl

I adore this hair color. I first used it over my natural dark brown hair years ago, and ended up with a dark auburn tint. It was pretty, but I let my hair go back to natural after it washed out.
But then I ran across a leftover bottle I had 6 months ago, right before The Avengers came out. I was planning on going to the midnight release in costume with my boyfriend at the time, so I lightened my hair and tried the color again. WOW. I was automatically in love. I only lightened it to a light brown, but the color was insanely vibrant! It was a little bit more pink than red, at least on me, but I absolutely loved it.
Iíve been keeping it up since, and for The Dark Knight rises I decided to lighten my hair even more, so I could go full on Poison Ivy. The result was stunning!
The absolute only reason I give this dye a 4 out of 5 is because as someone with naturally dark hair itís a really long process to re-dye my hair, and since it is red expect to re-dye often. But if you have the patience to get it done I highly recommend this dye, it is crazy pretty!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/27/2012 1:24:00 PM More reviews by reddplanet

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Sadly I haven't used this in a couple years, but I am REALLY tempted to buy a new bottle and use it again. I had SFX Blood Red hair for like 7 years before I had to get a more "natural" shade for my previous employer's requirements. I used to do my roots with a level 6 or 7 auburn and then do this over top of all. It was the best red ever. Bright as hell and hung around raelly well. The gold metallic "cast" it left on the hair was probably my favorite part.

It did bleed HORRIBLY, and I recall one night in a drunken misadventure we discovered I could draw on the wall with my head and leave a big red streak behind...

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 9/10/2011 11:32:00 PM More reviews by PixiePaige

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought SE blood red from Amphigory.com about a week ago, and it is AMAZING. The color is very bold and rich, and I get compliments on it all the time. It's my first time using it, so I don't know how long it lasts, but I chose SE because a.) Manic Panic (Rockstar Red) faded so quickly, and b.) all the reviews I found for SE said that it's really long lasting. Ladies, a couple of tips for making ANY hair color last longer; wash & rinse your hair using the coldest water you can stand. It sucks, but heat opens up the hair follicles, essentially letting more of the color out. Use shampoos & conditioners that are sodium and sulfate free. Even though most shampoos are advertised as being safe for color treated hair, that only means that they're not working *against* your hair color, and semi-permanent hair color (obviously) fades faster than permanent hair color, which is what they're talking about. I also go as long as possible in between shampoos, but that's not as easy (and sometimes not even an option) for people who naturally have more oily skin. I'm sure most people know this, but if you use heat the last 10-15 minutes of hair color application and rinse (as always) with cold water, the brighter and bolder the color will be, and the better looking it is to start, the longer you have before fading becomes really noticable. As far as the pillow problem, I keep 2 or 3 bandanas that I wear at night. It keeps my hair from getting sleep rumpled, and it prevents my pillow cases from getting stained. I'll post pictures as soon as I replace the cord for my camera, but I have a feeling I'm gonna be sticking with Special Effects from now on. It seems like such a nice way to dye. <--- Ignore my terrible puns, lol.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/21/2011 12:50:00 AM More reviews by WarmSocks

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is a true deep red color, not too orange, not too blue. I added pink to this dye to make it a bit lighter and its perfect.

From my experience, their red dyes tend to bleed/stain my clothes and pillow cases, even after months of it being in my hair...very annoying.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/17/2011 2:34:00 PM More reviews by MIJA_97

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I have been looking for a dye like this one! I saw reviews of it on YT so i decided to get it on ebay...i paid $13.99 including shipping so it was a great deal...EXCELLENT staying power and the color is GREAT!! A+ on this product!!! I wish I would have found it earlier...either way I will keep getting this brand...

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2010 2:54:00 AM More reviews by GrauFrau

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

My favorite red and my favorite brand. It's long lasting (if applied correctly) and fades nicely. I don't like reds that fade purple and I HATE reds that fade orange, this fades on me as the same red, only muted more and more until it's all gone. I don't bleach my hair, but I have a lot of natural highlights from grey hair. It creates a nice highlighted effect. :) With my current hair length (just at shoulder level) it takes about 3/4 of a bottle. I use the remainder to refresh the color after a few weeks.

Of course, it can be messy, and it will stain your skin. I find that petroleum jelly provides a decent level of protection against the worst staining, and I wear gloves to apply and to rinse it out. It will leach a lot if you don't RINSE RINSE RINSE when you first apply it. Even if you do, it will still create red suds for a few shampoos. I haven't had it come off on my clothes any, but I noticed my pillowcase was stained when I went to bed with a wet head - not my smartest move, I admit, but it did wash out in the laundry, so I'm not bothered.

I've tried other brands and this is by far superior for the colors I've used. For the money, I think it's an excellent choice.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/26/2010 7:55:00 PM More reviews by gpage

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Dark, Warm Hair: Other, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Brown

After much procrastination over lots of different dyes, it was a toss up over Manic Panic and Special Effects. After reading a lot of reviews and poring over photos, I finally plumped for Special Effects Blood Red and I'm really glad I did. I have very dark brown-not quite black mixed race chemically relaxed hair and I'm always cautious about what I use on it. I love the fact that this dye is vegetable based and contains no ammonia etc. I started with golden blonde highlights, which I'd previously used henna (Lush caca rouge) over a few weeks before, turning my highlights a more auburny shade. My post Special Effects hair colour is now a blazing wine colour (purpley red) with looks amazing under strip/spot lights or in bright sunlight. The hair that isn't highlighted has a lovely deep dark plum shade to it. I love it, everyone has been commenting on how good it looks. I really want to highlight more of my hair now though, so the colour stands out even more! There's a decent amount of dye in the bottle - I used half of it on my shoulder length hair. Oh, and I left it on for about 2 hrs, wrapped in cling film - blowing a hot hair dryer over it from time to time to help it sink in, and I rinsed it out using sulphate free shampoo (normal shampoos will strip dye a lot faster) and followed with a deep condition using Davines gorgeous Nounou conditioner for chemically and colour treated hair. The only downside to this dye is the lovely pink tinge it's left in my shower. I even sprayed the shower with shower cleaner before I got in, to help prevent staining, but it didn't really help. I'm just hoping that bleach will do the trick!

Update: 23 June 2010
Still loving this dye 5 months on, the colour's lasted ages! I even had my hair chemically relaxed since I first used this dye and it still looked fab. I have just applied the remaining half of my bottle to my hair this afternoon as the colour was starting to fade. However, it still looked pretty cool the browny reddy shade it had faded to. Oh and I found an effective way of removing the dye from the shower etc is using a cream cleaner as opposed to a spray or bleach - works a treat :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2008 8:28:00 PM More reviews by zoegirl1987

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Other Eyes: Other

Special Effects is, by far, my favorite veggie hair dye. No unnatural haircolors last forever, especially not reds, but as they go, Special Effects is the best. I used Manic Panic Vampire Red for a long time, but Manic Panic pretty much sucks, this is a comparable color(though a touch deeper, it turns out prettier, actually), a deep, cool toned red. I usually use it on my unbleached medium/dark brown hair (occasionally bleaching certain sections of my hair, depending on the effect I'm going for) and it turns up a very very deep red that shows up very vibrant in the sun, and a muted burgundy indoors. I love it.
Some tips on using Special Effects: Do not follow the directions and leave it in 15 minutes or whatever ridiculous time they suggest, leave it in as long as you possibly can, for me that usually ends up being an hour or two, but if you have time, leave it longer. the longer the better, especially if you can wrap it in plastic or something to keep it from drying. Also, even after rinsing out, there will still be a bit of dye in your hair for at least 2 or 3 days, you'll have some colorful suds in the shower and definitely some bleeding, so be careful, wearing darker clothing for a couple days, and you'll be fine. And, of course, all the typical color preservation rules apply, use a gentle shampoo, shampoo as little as possible, etc.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/23/2007 12:16:00 AM More reviews by gothpixie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really love Special Effects haircolor, and this one is beautiful. At this point I have used Nuclear Red, Blood Red, Cupcake Pink, Pimpin Purple, Blue Haired Freak and Blue Mayhem. I agree with the reviewer below, this isn't a primary or fire engine red, however I think it's better. Very much a beet or berry red. It's dark enough that it would probably show up as a beautiful tint over unbleached dark hair - however I bleached my hair first when I used it (I'm a natural dark brunette with slight auburn/red tone), and it's pretty dramatic. I've found that Special Effects is by far the best "unnatural" looking haircolor. The cream isn't runny, thick but not too thick, spreads well and the color is incredibly bold. Manic Panic barely lasted me a week before completely washing out, Beyond the Zone's Color Jamz hardly even showed up for me. Plus Special Effects has a much larger selection of colors - I believe they actually have 6 different shades of red! They also last the longest - mine has never lasted 6 weeks (looking good, anyways) but it will look nice and bright for 2 or 3, sometimes longer. Mine never seems to fade out evenly, but still looks cool somehow - I tend to redye once a month, only rebleaching if I need to touch up roots (every other time or so) or if I'm changing color. I believe it actually conditions your hair a tad too, it's definitely not harsh. After killing my hair with bleach my hair felt pretty good after shampooing it out and conditioning. With Blood Red, my color faded out first on top - my layers underneath were still bright (though closer to magenta or fuschia) long after the top faded to a light red. Only strange because with Blue Haired Freak and Blue Mayhem (my current color) the color keeps longer closer to my roots and on the top, and everything underneath faded first. :)

Some advice: before coloring, wash your hair and don't use conditioner, the conditioner will make the color not stick or sink in and stain. (which is basically what this kind of color does) Use on dry hair - some of these unnatural semi-permanent dyes have instructions to wash and not dry your hair, though I believe this bottle says to use on dry hair. Using on wet hair is just messier and the color doesn't take as well. USE GLOVES to shampoo your hair afterwards, not just while dyeing! Even after you've rinsed the color out, shampooing your hair creates some pretty colorful bubbles, and I have stained my hands before. :( The suds will be pretty bright for a week or two, but I haven't had a problem with them staining my skin after the first wash. That's the other thing - this stuff does stain sinks and tubs pretty badly, even the shampoo suds. I've found that a bleach cleaner (I use SoftScrub with bleach) gets it out. :) My last word of advice - don't get this at Hot Topic. Not an issue with the actual product - it's the exact same everywhere, but it's way overpriced at $15. You can find it cheaper (and usually a larger selection of colors) on websites like Amphigory or GoodGoth - 9 or 10 bucks plus shipping, worth it especially if you're buying multiple bottles. I have very thick hair, about chin length, lots of layers, and I use most of a bottle with each coloring. I have rebought and will continue to use Special Effects for as long as I have a job that will allow it. :)