October 24, 2014 | 1650 users online

Treatments (Face) - Differin Gel .3

rated 4 of 5 on 8/23/2014 12:43:00 AM More reviews by noelizgonzalez

I was prescribed aczone a couple of months ago and it literally did nothing for me. I became so frustrated because I had told my doctor that aczone wasn't working for me and I wanted something better, but she still prescribed it anyways. After seeing a new doctor she prescribed me differin 0.3 gel. I was hoping she would prescribe acanya to me because that worked wonders for me for 2 years straight, and then I guess it gave up on me because my acne had gotten worse. I've been on antibiotics but I rather not be because everyone knows that it kills off all the good cells, and as soon as I stopped taking them it's like my skin went crazy. I'm on birth control because I'll be taking accutane soon to really stop my problem with acne. In the meantime my skin looks much better! I'm really impressed at how good it works to combat acne. It's only been my first week and I am thrilled with results. A lot of dry skin but moisturizer helps. I hope I don't go through the phase where it gets worse before it gets better.I start school in a week and the last thing I want is a face full of breakouts.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/19/2014 8:38:00 AM More reviews by nessiemess

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Grey

I have been struggling with Acne since I was nine years old. I've seen all kinds of dermatologists and doctors to get rid of it, but none of them had a real good fix.
About a year ago I went to a dermatologist at a hospital who prescribed me this (I live in the Netherlands and it got paid for by my insurance company so I don't know how it's price).

It works wonders on pimples itself. Every time I get a new breakout I just put it on the new pimples and after a day or two/three of doing so, they are mostly gone. I got instructed that you should only be putting it on the pimples themselves, not anywhere else and also not to use it in summer (better said: not in warm weather or when the sun is strong).
The reason that you should be putting it only on your pimples and not anywhere else is because the gel is very drying. It dries out the pimples. If you put it anywhere else, it will dry out that spot. Plus: if you put it on your pimples (for example on your forehead) it will also dry out a little bit of the rest of your face, so make sure you moisturize the other places well.
The leaflet I got with it said not to use it in summer. It didn't say why though. One day I got this huge pimple on my chin. It was summer so I still decided that I wanted to get rid of the horrible monster so I put it on for a few days. A day later when I was out in the sun, I noticed that I was scratching my arm a lot. I checked my body and it was full of large red itchy area's. I finally got why you shouldn't be in the sun with it... I got inside and a few hours later it was already gone. PLEASE LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES.

Pros:
+ fast working
+ very good results
+ a little goes a long way

Cons:
- not useable in summer
- does not prevent
- probably not practical for people with very dry skin

rated 5 of 5 on 6/25/2014 6:22:00 PM More reviews by kayywink

I've had mild hormonal acne since 6th grade. I tried so many drug store products from clean and clear, clearsil, neutrogena, olay, and while these helped for a little awhile, after about a month of use they stopped working. By my sophomore year (high school) I was depressed and so insecure about my face that I would beg my mom to let me stay home for the day so no one would see me. My parents decided to take me to a dermatologist and he prescribed me this along with doxycycline. For the first week of using Differin my skin was clearing up and I had some slight dryness around my nose but moisturizer took care of that right away. Then at three weeks my skin started to purge itself and my acne was worse then it ever was before. I immediately got discouraged and thought to myself that nothing was going to work on my skin. I waited patiently for three months for my skin to clear up and by the end of the second month my skin was completely clear! I'm now going to be a senior and I have more self confidence then I ever have before thanks to Differin! If you're my age I would recommend waiting until summer starts to begin using this like I did because you don't have to worry about going to school. It definitely will get worse before it gets better, unless you're one of the lucky few who don't experience the initial breakout, but you have to be patient and wait it out. It may not work for everyone but it worked for me!
Here's my current skin care routine:

Nighttime-
1) wash with cetaphil gentle skin cleanser
2) apply pea sized amount of differin on entire face

Morning-
1) wash with Burt's Bee's Soap Bark and Chamomile deep cleansing cream
2) apply cetaphil daily moisturizer with SPF 15

**I also use Michael Todd's Jojoba Charcol facial scrub twice a week in the morning in place of my burts bees cleanser

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2014 2:20:00 AM More reviews by Chrysta12

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Let me preface by saying I've been struggling with acne for almost 3 years. Blackheads, whiteheads, cystic, nodular; everything under the sun. I've tried every over the counter treatments including: vitamins, creams, oils, moisturizers, face soaps, and masks. Nothing worked. I went to my dermatologist after the first year and was prescribed trentinoin and doxycycline. They made my acne worse. So I stayed away from them. I tried birth controls but that made my acne the worst my face had ever been. I tried the dermatologist again a couple weeks ago after a bad break out. She prescribed me aczone for the morning, differin in the evening and an antibiotic. Although the aczone and antibiotic calmed things down a bit, the differing knocked out everything. Which was awesome. I no longer get the painful huge bumps anymore. I still have some really pesky blackheads on my chin, but they don't bother me. All I'm left with are the scarring and hyperpigmentation, to which I use Tarte amazonion clay in fair sand shade. Works wonders. I'm so glad I found differin. The only thing is it's super drying. To help with that I have a regimen:
Wash face with aveeno moisturizing bar with colloidal oatmeal.
Soak a cotton ball with witch hazel and rub all over face to help minimize my pore size
Apply a small pea size amount of differin to cheeks and chin
Moisturize with neautrogena oil free moisture
And once a week I exfoliate using a soft cloth and st Ives.
My skin hasn't looked this awesome in awhile (minus the hyperpigmentation which the differin seems to be helping with)
Good luck!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/28/2014 7:16:00 AM More reviews by Dentalgirl3

Hands down the best RX for adult acne. If you've tried everything, this will work for you. Not harsh, but very effective. Better than tazorac gel, retin a micro, etc.... It does take a few months to see results, but over the years your skin will thank you. Try this!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2014 8:46:00 PM More reviews by NajlaAl

Pricey but worth it! Only thing to clear me up after 4 dang years of acne!!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/6/2013 5:24:00 PM More reviews by Jessicaxjane

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I'm only 20, but I've had cystic acne on my cheeks, chin, and jawline since I was 13, along with little whiteheads on the sides of my bottom lips and on my forehead, AND large pores on my cheeks and big blackheads on my nose. My parents always told me to scrub it, if you use soap and water it'll go away. It never did, though. The texture of the blackheads on my nose would go away overnight and be back in the morning. I could squeeze the whiteheads, but they, too, would be back within a couple days. After trying retinoid creams, lotions, different brands 3 step kits, peroxide creams, Epiduo, nothing worked. I thought about trying Accutane, but the reviews scared me.

Finally, my dermatologist sent me a bag full of sample tubes of this Differin Gel. I was really skeptical. "cool, something else to try that'll dry out my skin and do nothing." After just TWO days I started noticing a difference in the whiteheads on my jawline. I've been using it about eight weeks now, I've had two cystic pimples since I started using it. (Usually it was 3-5 a week)

Today I noticed that the cystic spots are going down, the texture on my chin is MUCH better, my nose is smooth. Very little dryness on my nostrils, nowhere else. I do not only use this as a spot treatment, since the issues were all over my face. I put a light coat over my whole face, THEN I put a little bit on the spots that are coming up. I do this when I wake up, and before I go to sleep. I wish it had a pump, instead of being in a tube. I can't really say much for price because I have insurance + I've been using samples.

I would really recommend this to anyone who's been struggling with acne, I hadn't gone out of the house without makeup in years. This has made such a dramatic difference, I haven't worn foundation in two months. With my sensitive skin and the things I've tried, I can honestly say IT'S WORTH TRYING.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/17/2013 9:31:00 PM More reviews by DVick

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

I've struggled with acne for over 10 years and this has been one of the best prescription products I have tried. I have literally tried everything. Differin has not only helped my acne but I noticed it helps the acne scars fade.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/16/2013 1:54:00 AM More reviews by Fallingstar

Love this product so much! It has done wonder on my skin. During high school, I used to have relatively clear skin, with a pimple here and there. Once I reached college, my skin broke out horribly which I attribute to lack of sleep + stress. There would be many of these little bumps all over my cheeks that wouldn't go away. That's for the better days. At my worst, it would be redness + clear liquid oozing out of these little bumps, that would usually occur around my week. I still shiver when thinking back. Then, I went to a dermatologist who prescribed me differin at night and benzaclin in the morning. She said that the reason I keep having those horrible breakouts was because of clogged pores and that differin would help. Right now, I don't break out anymore, except the occasional pimple, which goes away relatively fast. My skin is now in a good enough condition to go out without applying concealer!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/19/2013 4:17:00 PM More reviews by marsbars101

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

this product has helped my skin sooooo MUCH! the price was around 60 dollars and after 2 months i have used a quarter of the product. the way that it helps to clear the skin is by drying out the pimple so definetely be prepared for dry skin, i had really oily skin before using this and now i hardly EVER get oily.... HOPE I HELPED <3