April 20, 2014 | 1852 users online

Cleansers - DERMAdoctor - Ain't Misbehavin' cleanser

rated 2 of 5 on 4/5/2014 7:23:00 PM More reviews by LizzyBerry

Update after two weeks of use:

Oh Dermadoctorů how I wanted to love you. In fact I did, for about 3 days. Maybe my skin is just crazy since coming off retin a but I found this stuff proved to be too harsh for me yet again.

I was sure this would work for me since everyone on here had such great reviews and said it helped their hormonal acne. Truth is my acne isn't that bad. If I had 3 pimples at one time that was considered a bad break out for me and I maybe got a cyst every 7 weeks or something. HA! Now I wish I had my old skin back. I probably just needed a good spot treatment instead of changing everything.

The first couple days on this my skin literally GLOWED. Not a pimple in sight from my mouth up so I had hope. But my chin was still this war zone, it looked like I had chicken pox. To be fair before going on this cleanser my chin did look really congested and if I am going to get a pimple it's probably gonna be on the chin. So I thought it was just a purge and maybe it was - but within the first week I had 4 cysts in one corner of my chin :( They did heal up fast and come to a head fast too so once again I held on hoping this stuff was working. But a week later two of them were resurrected and sprouted new heads honestly wtf?! It was SO embarrassing. I don't know if the cleanser was just too harsh and irritating them to come out or what, but that's definitely not normal for me. I had a small purge on my previous lactic cleanser but it was just a few small bumps that went away after about 10 days and NEVER any cysts. I've now decided that anything that makes me break out with cysts the first week has got to go as it's too harsh.

I was also having retin a flashbacks as this stuff dried out my skin after the first week. It was feeling really raw! And at this point I was only using it once a day and with the tiniest pea size amount. I could only tolerate it once every three days on any skin above my mouth. I even then tried it only on my chin every other day and it was STILL drying me out. I had serious gator skin while using a moisturizing cream after every wash. Before my skin type was oily and in a matter of two weeks I was seriously a crocodile. Reduced oil indeed - I'll give them that for correct advertisement AHEM.

The only thing that's worked for me now is a gentle foamy lactic acid cleanser that I get from a local spa (and the proactive cleanser - pls don't hate me). It's not a brand name, just something they make so they better never stop making it. It's got a lot less percentage of lactic and salicylic acid in it but I guess that's what my face needs. I've never had a cyst on that cleanser either - so I would suggest a more gentle cleanser if you felt this face wash increased your cystic acne and was too harsh. I still have no idea how some of these people claimed they had sensitive skin and then used this twice daily wooo-eee!!

I also found out lactic acid is now being considered the best AHA because it's the most gentle. I guess that's what my skin needs. My acne just isn't as bad as I thought it was. I think I was self inducing the acne on myself by using too harsh of products and further irritating it. Point is, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/6/2013 3:24:00 PM More reviews by apowerfulbeat

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have a love/hate relationship with this product. A Sephora SA recommended I try this (I have acne-prone skin but my acne isn't terrible, just a few blemishes and blackheads here and there). I only use this at night and if I have a breakout or blemish, the next morning it clears up, so it is pretty effective. It just hasn't stopped me from breaking out completely. I also imagine that it's just too harsh for daily use, regardless of what the SA said. It does seem to sting on active breakouts. I think because of how effective it is at clearing up breakouts, I would buy it again, but only just to use if I have a bad breakout. I also hate that I have to apply it to a dry face and that it doesn't lather or foam. It doesn't feel like I'm cleaning my face that way. Like someone on here said, it is kind of like a wash off treatment as opposed to a facial cleanser.

It is $25 for a 7 oz bottle, which is quite pricey for a facial cleanser but I bought it over three months ago, use it daily, and I still have at least half the bottle left.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/16/2013 11:20:00 AM More reviews by klbrad819

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I've battled moderate to severe acne for most of my teenage years, and now at 24 years old I finally have somewhat of an understanding of what causes my breakouts, what helps them, etc. Over the years I've pretty much tried everything. It wasn't until about 2 years ago that I tried AHA based products, and found that they really help! Usually a good AHA product can be pricey, however I think that this product is a great value given the amount of product you get for $25 in comparison to others that I've tried. You only need a small amount of this, and when applied directly onto dry skin, and gently rubbed in, it creates a milky, smooth wash that you can feel working as the AHA does have a slight stinging sensation, particularly when you first start using this product or if you've never used an AHA based product before. It may take some time to get used to if you're more sensitive. I use this product in the morning, and use it in conjunction with my Clarisonic Mia. The Clarisonic Mia isn't totally necessary, I just find that I like the way my skin feels best after using it. I find that this product diminishes my acne, fades the marks left behind by any old acne, and evens out my skin tone. It also refines my pores, and makes my skin look brighter and more refreshed. I would definitely recommend this product to anyone who has mild-moderate acne, or wants to rejuvenate their complexion. I'm on my 4th or 5th tube so far, and I haven't found anything else that works better or with a better price for what you get! Will keep repurchasing, unless something else really blows me away. It would be a challenge!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/7/2013 12:51:00 PM More reviews by bizbuilder

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

OK I wrote a review about the sun block that is not suitable for my skin type. But this AHA/BHA cleanser works REALLY WELL!

I love this product. Yes it stinks at first when you use it because it is medicated and it is working underneath the skin surface to do what it needs to do to kill bacteria and heal the acne! But the more you use it the less you will feel it stinking! Finally it becomes just a very smooth milk like texture cleanser, you won't feel a thing! But it will heal your acne.

So I love this product and I have already re-purchased this from Sephora. I no longer have any acne. Once in a while yes due to monthly cycle or bad diet whatsoever. But I use this product with the Sonicare brush and it works like a charm!

If you have acne problem or you have oily skin, I high recommend this product. It is a big tube and only costs like $25. It will last you a few months even if you use it day and night. It really is worth a try. Good luck girls!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2013 9:28:00 PM More reviews by elweber

I love this! I have battled acne since I was 13 and I am 25 now. I have used Murad and Proactive and they didn't help one bit, This stuff is amazing! My zits are healing and getting smaller and I've used it less than a week. I hope it continues to work

rated 4 of 5 on 2/20/2013 12:55:00 PM More reviews by chris00111

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Update: After using this for about a month, the cystic acne was gone, but I started breaking out in little whiteheads and blackheads. My skin was looking bad again. BLAH. I started using Proactiv again and eventually quit this product. I am back on Proactiv, which is really helping and this product is sitting in my closet.

First review:
I am a 34 year old mom of 2 who has battled acne since I was a teen. In my 20s I used OTC and Rx products, and Rx would clear me up immediately, but I hated using them. The only time my skin was perfect was during pregnancy and for about 19 months after (when my hormones would regulate back to pre-pregnancy levels). After my first son (at 19 months), i broke out in horrible cystic acne on my cheeks and jawline. I tried everything and eventually went to Proactiv as my last effort before the dermatologist. Within 1 week I was clear (i got pregnant again though, stopped Proactiv and moved back to gentle cleansers). Fast forward to 19 month pp after my 2nd son and my skin was a disaster again. Proactiv did nothing at this point but dry me out.
I then found this cleanser. OMG. I immediately saw the difference in my skin. I use a gentle cleanser first to remove any makeup, etc, then dry my face. Then I massage this on my skin and let it sit for a minute or so before I wash it off. My skin is smooth and soft. It is not red at all and my pores are minimized. My blackheads are disappearing and I have NOT had any new pimples since I bought this. It has not dried out my skin either, but it is more sensitive. So be careful around your eyes and if you plan on getting waxed at all. LOVE this cleanser and I am so glad I found it!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/13/2013 3:43:00 AM More reviews by acoin

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I have been waging war against my adult hormonal acne for a couple years now. I have tried a lot of prescriptions and a million cleansers and this cleanser has completely cleared my skin. Completely!

I have to warn you though, I have sensitive skin and I had to slowly work my way up to using a product as strong as this cleanser. I had used a cleanser very similar to this one prior to going to a dermatologist and it was too strong. It inflamed my skin and exacerbated my hormonal/cystic acne. When I finally dragged myself to the dermatologist they put me on an extremely gentle cleanser, antibiotics, aczone, and retinA micro (at the lowest dose). Eventually I worked up to the highest dose Retin-A micro and went off the antibiotics. My skin was pretty clear but I continued to get cystic pimples along my jaw line every now and then. So I started to experiment with stronger cleansers. Ever since I started using Ain't misbehaving my skin has become clearer and clearer! My pores are smaller, acne pigmentation erased, and my skin is bright soft and clear! I love this product. I'm still also using the Aczone & Retin-A, but this cleanser has really taken my skin to the next level.

I have also been using Dermadoctor's Wrinkle Revenge serum and it is equally amazing. It absorbs completely into the skin, no greasy residue perfect for wearing under makeup. It helped so much with my fine lines and overall makes my skin supple and soft. I feel like my regimen has been perfected and its changed my life.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/9/2012 5:59:00 PM More reviews by kayceeland

Seems to have curved my cystic acne (I usually get it around my period, but not this month!) I've been using this product for three weeks now and I love it. My skin is looking really good. I've also been using dermadoctor's wrinkle revenge lift and replenish serum (which I like) and calm cool and corrected (okay but not worth the price to me). Still looking for a good moisturizer but other than that happy! Before I was using Cerave's hydrating cleanser and benzoyl peroxide but would still get some pimples. I was also using cetaphil's moisturizing cream (not good/calming for skin reactions to retin-a or peels).

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/11/2011 12:51:00 PM More reviews by 4eyes

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Stingers beware! I tried this together w/ the similarly named acne serum and sunscreen. I have found that the serum and this cleanser burn and sting uncomfortably, and after about 2 weeks of use, I have not noticed any improvement in my acne or oiliness. 2 weeks may be too soon to tell, but the stinging and burning are probably going to prevent me from being able to use this long enough to tell. For point of reference I have super-oily, sensitive acne rosacea- type skin. Retin-A and low-dose BP, a well as salicylic acid tend to work well for me. Today this stuff just burned so much I switched it out for Pan-Oxyl 4, a 4% BP cleanser by Stiefel Labs that also contains glycolic and lactic acid yet doesn't burn at all! The difference was huge - what a relief! I was hoping to be able to get away from BP only because it tends to bleach my hair around my face, but boy, this DermaDoctor cleanser stings terribly! This stuff is also extremely expensive. I do not intend to re-purchase. There do some to be some very good ingredients - I wih this would be re-formullated, along with the serum, to help "stingers" with acne!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/30/2011 11:42:00 AM More reviews by ashestoamour

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

This cleanser has strong exfoliating power. When Ifirst used it, I felt a tingling and slightly burning sensation all over my face. I put it away in a cabinet to come back to later, and I am glad I did. After slowly acclimating myself to chemical exfoliants, I returned to this cleanser. It does a great job of clearing up whiteheads and brightening my skin. I use it once a week in place of my normal nightly cleanser with the Clarisonic deep pore brush head. My skin feels a little stripped and raw afterwards and so I use a gentle face lotion to hydrate. When I wake up the next morning my skin is smooth and bright. This cleanser is moderately priced at $25.00, and the bottle is huge, a full 7 fl. oz. I have been using this weekly for a few months and have hardly made a dent. I love that it is a bottle that stands on its flip-top cap. This makes dispensing quick and easy. I would definitely repurchase this item, but I think it will last long enough that I won't have to in the near future. I am giving it four lippies, because although it works well for me as a weekly exfoliator, it is too strong to use everyday. I only give the best performing products that I consider essentials five lippies.