August 30, 2014 | 1624 users online

Polishes - Maybelline - Salon Expert - Midnight Red

rated 5 of 5 on 8/18/2010 11:50:00 PM More reviews by carelovespink

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I bought this because I like a darker nail in the winter. The colour is great - it's dark but you can still tell that it's a red. Unfortunately for me, the colour is so nice that my Mom stole it from me and I haven't seen it since. Will likely be repurchasing once the weather gets cold again!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2007 12:50:00 PM More reviews by fivezero

Salon Expert is a newly released line of nail polish from Maybelline. It is supposed to have a new, precision curved brush to make application a cinch.

However, I was very disappointed with the brush. It is not actually very curved at all (to see a good example of a brush that is curved and flayed to match the shape of the cuticle, look at Bourjois's Very Vernis and 1 Seconde nail polish); it is rather flat. The brush tips are even a little bit jaggedy. In fact, as soon as I pulled out the brush for the first time, I noticed that there was one brush hair that was longer than the others and it stuck out at an angle. I snipped it short but it still sticks out a bit. Quality control at Maybelline: 0.

Anyway, onto the new formula. I have no idea why Maybelline keeps moving away from their winning Wet Shine and Colorama formulas. I even loved their really old formulas like Salon Finish and Ultimate Wear. This new Salon expert formula is a little streaky and is not as smooth as the WS formula, which is my fave drugstore line. It evens out with two coats, which is fine, but nothing great. It also has the slightly sticky, difficult texture of a speed-dry polish, even though it is not marketed as one. The drying time was good, though.

The colour, Midnight Red, is a deep burgundy red creme. It's lovely and has a nice shine, so points for that. Also, it is good with two coats, which is a little unusual for most deep vampy cremes.

Overall, I like the colour (and I have my eye on two others in the line, Sparkle Brown and Extreme Blackcurrant), but the formula would deter me from buying any more of these. Just not good enough and not worth CAD$5.99 for a meager 10mL bottle. They're just getting smaller and smaller these days! :P

Pics:Nails continued >>