Boots No7 Stay Perfect Mascara

3.5

I tested this mascara out against my fave one that I use at night, I wanted to find one less dramatic and more subtle to wear during the day. This one clumped right away and gave me issues with when I tried taking it off, it was wayyy too difficult.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Curly, Fine

This is my Holy Grail mascara! I have tried so many different mascaras in the past, drugstore and high end, and I couldn't find one that stayed put all day while giving my lashes volume and length. For a long time I used L'oreal Voluminous because I loved the look it gave my lashes, but settled for only wearing it on my top lashes so I wouldn't look like a raccoon at the end of the day.
I heard about the "tubing" mascara trend and found out about No. 7's online, and I have to say I was a bit skeptical about its promise to provide "24 hour wear", but I saw it at Target for $9.99 and decided why not? And I couldn't be happier with it! It makes my lashes super long and separated with one coat, and it held my curl perfectly! It stayed on my top and bottom lashes flawlessly ALL DAY, absolutely no smudges or flakes. I even took a nap in it and it looked exactly the same when I woke up.
Removal of this mascara is surprisingly easy. All I use is water and a cotton pad and it comes off quick and easy without leaving streaks on the skin or residue on the lashes. Couldn't ask for anything more!

on 2/25/2015 6:42:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Ah the "No 7 mascara in the gold tube" I've heard so much about. This appears to be a sleeper hit as it turns out many of my friends and colleagues wear it, even though you don't hear much about it. So I went out and got it and it lives up to expectations.

Pros:
Does. Not. Budge. Seriously, this stuff won't flake or smear if you did a workout in the Sahara Desert.

Reasonably priced using No 7 coupons. (A bit pricey without, mind you)

Gives very dramatic lashes with just one coat. Makes them look a mile long and black as sin.

Cons:
Tiresome to remove. The downside of all that staying power.

Definately not for those who want a subtle look.

Can look clumpy - care needs to be taken to fan it out evenly.

This is now my go-to mascara for occasions where I have to rely on my mascara all day. 12 hour shift at work? Going to a wedding? This is my little gold buddy.

Will probably repurchase as long as they make it.

I always get the dreaded panda marks under my eyes. After reading all the tube mascara reviews I decided to go for the stay perfect in a gold tube. After 12 hrs still no dark marks at all. I Wouldn't say it givese the longest lushest lashes in the world but I only need it for the bottom so will put my usual mascara on the top lashes. It does a lovely job on the bottom ones......v happy indeed x

on 12/10/2014 9:36:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

First things first, I want to make it clear that this mascara has been reformulated. It now comes in a gold tube. I uploaded a picture to give you all a better idea of what to look for & what the brush looks like now.

I never tried the old formulation. But I'm looking at reviews and not a single person is mentioning warm water to remove this. Boots No 7 Stay Perfect (in the gold tube) is now a tubing mascara! So if you do by chance buy this, do not be a moron like one reviewer on Target's website was - use warm water to remove the tubes off your lashes (vs MU remover...).

Typically I stay far away from drugstore priced mascaras. All the 'waterproof' ones smudged on me as my pizzaface's oil remove them & caused them to smear on my lower lids. The closest I got to a decent waterproof mascara was actually Loreal's INTENZA Butterfly waterproof mascara.

I honestly didn't care for mascara until I found tubing formulas. After a god awful experience with Loreal's Double Extend mascara, I swore to never try a drugstore tubing mascara again. Besides, that was basically the only tubing mascara on the drugstore market back then.

So I tried many of the tubing mascaras Sephora & Nordstroms offer. Becca, Clinique, Too Faced... Blinc was definitely my favorite. I favor Blinc's original formula over their "Amplified" version. Either way, they're both $26 & well worth the price. I'll gladly pay that to not have raccoon eyes.

Moving forward, recently (as I write this review) a fellow MUAer mentioned to me that Boots had a Blinc knock off. I was very intrigued, yet didn't expect much. I bought it & was beyond pleasantly surprised. I actually like this better than Blinc!

I do not notice much difference in terms of formula. Both are rather wet for tubing mascaras, but that gives you more of an opportunity to separate the lashes before it sets. However the one thing that gives Boots an edge on its competition is the brush. If you look at the pic (the one with the gold tube...) you'll see it has a very small sturdy brush. This makes getting EVERY lash very simple. Even on your bottom lash line. You can do one coat for a natural look, and two - three for a dramatic falsies look.

I will repurchase, along with recommend this mascara to everyone out there that as issues with mascaras smudging.

on 2/26/2014 11:22:00 AM

I'm sad to see so many iffy reviews of this product, as I actually really like it! I get less fall out and clumpy, spider eyes with this mascara, and it stays in place nicely throughout the day. As well, I feel it doesn't rip my eyelashes out when I wash my face and take it off. No major residue left and no runs when washing, just comes off nicely. The price is also affordable at Target. Would definitely repurchase!

on 8/26/2013 12:27:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Terrible mascara. I hate it. After one coat my (usually long) lashes were clumped, short and stumpy-looking. It honestly looked like I had about four lashes altogether. I didn't like the 'tubing' formula at all, and the brush was too small and did nothing to improve the look of my lashes. It dried really hard and did not hold a curl. Removing it was tedious, with warm water it took about 5 minutes to remove, and came off in flakes. Packaging was ok, nice gold colour, but to the touch it felt plasticky and cheap. For the price I was expecting a great mascara providing volume and length, which this mascara didn't at all. Overall very disappointed...

on 8/25/2013 12:57:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

i find no.7 make up products overrated.

i do find the packaging more luxurious, but in terms of quality, i see no real difference between Boots No.7 and Boots Natural Collection, which I'll have you know is far cheaper (and better!)

Mascara wasn't great and i didn't like the brush as it made lashes clump together.

on 2/18/2010 1:45:00 AM

I bought this when it was on sale, I think half off. I figure I won't loose much money if it doesn't work out since I want to have a smudge proof mascara. On the description, it says smudge proof. Upon wearing the mascara, the it started to smudges after about a couple of hours and continues to do so little by little, so I guess it's not really smudge proof, I may have to wear this with a primer under to see if it works better.

on 12/6/2008 8:57:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure

does not smudge, its waterproof, takes alittle more effort to remove at the end of the day.

thickens lengthens curls separates lashes but only at an average level

pretty reasonable mascara but for its price its not worth it. I find maybelline are doing some slightly better ones only cheaper!

Very good staying power!