November 23, 2014 | 1930 users online

Powder - Amazing Cosmetics - Velvet Mineral

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2014 3:14:00 PM More reviews by isavella

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have the pressed version of this powder foundation in Light Golden. It's merely alright - like, I can't pinpoint specific complaints but I wouldn't repurchase. The coverage is medium and difficult to built up without looking extremely powdery, and it never really "melts" into your skin for that nice satiny look most mineral foundations leave behind. Doesn't leave a glow. Controls oil just fine, but like I said, if you reapply it'll look dusty and cakey. There are many better powders out there for the kind of dough you have to shell out for this one. Packaging is uber bulky, too.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/26/2014 10:18:00 PM More reviews by LoloDSM

The BA at Ulta matched my skin to Light Golden in the pressed minerals. It was perfect in the store, but my midday had darkened so I had a noticeable line between my jawline and neck. I exchanged it for fair which started out well, but again, darkened by midday. The coverage was disappointing. I was looking for a mid-full coverage, and by afternoon, it had worn off and my face was quite shiny. The shiny part is not unusual. I usually blot the shine away, but with this makeup, I could not remove the shine. Because there was no puff in the compact, I had no way to touch it up without carrying a brush. All in all, a disappointing failure.

rated 1 of 5 on 7/11/2013 2:47:00 PM More reviews by Lilil95

SO CAKEY but didn't even have any coverage. I could not find a good color match and I hate loose powders in general so I don't know what I was thinking.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/4/2012 8:17:00 PM More reviews by sugarfreepersonality

All in all, I actually like this powder. It's the first one I've found that actually matches my skin tone perfectly (I use the lightest shade of the loose velvet mineral powder). It gives me such a light, natural look and seems to even out my skin tone; I can't speak for the staying power, but it also helps to keep the oily parts of my combination skin at bay. It does not dry out the dryer parts of my face, though! I've experienced no breakouts associated with this product, either.
Though it's expensive for the amount of product provided, you don't need a lot of powder to cover your face and it lasts long enough for me to be content with paying over thirty dollars for it.

UPDATE:
I've been using this powder for over four months now, daily, and have yet to go through even half of the jar. If you're looking for something that will keep oily skin at bay, this probably isn't your product, though. I've been noticing for the first time, probably because it's just become bothersome, that my skin is still a bit too shiny for my liking when I use this. It's very natural, though, and I'd imagine it would be a great powder for the winter-time. For the most part, though, I will repurchase until I find another cruelty-free face powder that works better for me...

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/29/2012 5:44:00 AM More reviews by tigergirly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This review is for the new Velvet Mineral liquid foundation- unfortunately, I can't seem to find the old function to add a new product.
The liquid foundation is advertized as applying like a tinted moisturizer, but covering like a foundation. It also claims to be waterproof and that it will not settle into pores and lines. I got a generous sample of the lightest shade and it was actually very pale yellow! Hurray!
This is where the joy ends. It's very hard to blend on me and has almost no overage. It settles into pores (mine aren't that big), so I need to really rub it around to evenly apply- a sponge, brush or usual finger application does not help for me. It also feels like I'm putting a very oily substance on. It is shiny immediately and goes downhill from there. The Sephora rep said it's oil-free and non-comedogenic, but I did not see that on any website or package. I did add a point for the easy packaging and light shade, which is rare.
I can see this working well for mature, dry skin. I wouldn't discount it for other skin types. Mine is combination, acne-prone, 30s. It's a good idea to try a generous sample first!
UPDATE: Ugh, downgrading this. I tested it further by applying it on one side, with another product on the other. The next day, I had a breakout on that side only. Usually it takes a few days, but my skin must really dislike this. Furthermore, it settled into my pores to make visible white dots. Blending it more just wiped it off. A total no!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/7/2011 4:07:00 PM More reviews by pineappleprincess

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I purchased this from eBeauty.ca (Canadian makeup site) in Deep Golden. This mineral powder is sheer but offers buildable coverage, which is great because I like more coverage for my redness, but less coverage so my youthful skin still shows. I like this powder a lot and I think I will try more mineral powders again in the future!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2011 1:11:00 AM More reviews by eyesopen33

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this in the pressed powder version in the shade light golden. The coverage was very sheer and did not provide enough coverage. The shade was wrong also, as it was too light for me and a bit orangy and ashy looking. I'll be returning this item.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/26/2011 4:39:00 PM More reviews by tashatoro

I am actually very surprised at all the negative reviews for this product! I have used bare minerals in the past and while I liked the idea of mineral makeup, I was getting a reaction to the bare minerals..then I tried laura mercier loose minerals and had the same itchy reaction. After reading about these products I realized it must be the bismuth oxychloride..so I went on a search for a mineral foundation that didn't contain bismuth and I found amazing cosmetics velvet mineral and I love it! First of all the color light golden is a perfect match for my skin, it gives me amazing coverage, and it is lon g lasting! I live in houston where it is always hot and humid and I swear this is sweat proof as long as you are not wiping away sweat but blotting it awa ..y. Also I find this lasts longer if it is set with a setting powder..I use clinique translucent blend face powder. I have this in the loose version and the pressed..I find I can get better coverage with the loose minerals, and I like the pressed for travel since I really hate traveling with loose minerals. Overall I think this is a great product!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/20/2010 5:29:00 PM More reviews by cherrybombVIXEN

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this stuff. Its great buildable coverage.Best of all its MINERALS!! Makes my skin glow and look like i JUST applied my foundation. My color is TAN. It blends seemlessly and looks fresh. I use powderset to set my foundation. i have the kabuki brush and its great to cover my facial scars blemishes and udner eyes. I used to wear bare minerals, was faithful for years until i found amazing cosmetics at ULTA!...I looked more "made-up" yet natural. no more ashy face like with bare minerals. I look healthy and fresh! My skin looks awake! LOVE IT!...dispenser is messy but i tap a little at a time on the lid like i did with bare minerals. then sweep my kabuki brush over it and apply!...yay...my favorite foundation!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/13/2009 4:34:00 PM More reviews by NATASCIA22

I really do like this product. I purchased the velvet mineral powder foundation. I was using bare minerals at one time but that product really irritated my skin... there is an ingredient i am allergic to in that product. I then switched to smash box cosmetics and used their 60 dollar (expensive to keep up with) foundation (powder)... I am light skinned... and I used the light becuase the medium to was to dark and orange.. however the light was sort of washing me out.. eventually I switched to amazing cosmetics after having tried different powdered foundations in the Ulta store... I liked the coverage.. it is buildable... and it does not look to light or to dark on my face ... it blends wonderfully with my skin... my husband really likes it too... he was the one who told me the smash box seemed to be washing me out...

anyways.. I have combination skin... and this product works great on my skin.. it does dry my sking out at all .. which is great..

and it covers any shine i may have.. over all.. i am satisfied with the product... I wear tan and it blends with me well... it cost 34 dollars however one container of this stuff last for like four months with me and i wear it every day religously.. so i think it's so worth the money...