August 20, 2014 | 2069 users online

Styling Products - KMS California - Molding Paste

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2013 12:28:00 AM More reviews by FaceofMaleah

I was recommended this by the employees at a beauty supply outlet near me for my intense amount of baby hair and I absolutely love it! It is my first time using a styling paste since I have fine hair and I know paste products aren't really recommended for people with fine hair because it could weigh it down. When I get out of the shower and put all of my hair oils in and my leave in conditioner, I comb my hair back to expose the roots and apply the tiniest amount to all the baby hairs that I see. When my hair dries, is when the magic really happens. Somehow my baby hair completely disappear. Using just the tiniest pea-sized amount, they are totally gone and my hair doesn't feel sticky at all which is absolutely wonderful. I believe I got this for around $19 a few months back and I'm pretty sure I'll have this thing for another year (at least!) or two because of the amount of product it comes with. I really love it and am thoroughly impressed. Just as a little warning, I do not recommend using this in dry hair because I did that once before reading the directions and it made my hair clump together and look awful, so always use it in your wet locks! Glad my first experience with hair paste was so positive!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/24/2012 10:14:00 PM More reviews by cattitude

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Blue

The KMS Hair Play Molding Paste gives natural-looking soft hold and definition to my thick, coarse hair. My current and past hairstylists have often recommend this product for my hair type.

I'd say that it is mid-priced: more expensive than drugstore products, but cheaper than some other salon brands. I love the pump dispenser- the jars that most styling goo comes in are unhygenic and messy. I also like the light scent that smells a bit like pina coladas.

I've just repurchased this product after having my hair cut short for the first time in a few years. I don't know if it's just my imagination, but it seems like the product has been reformulated (along with the new packaging) and is less thick and sticky. This makes it easier to work with and less likely to leave visible product residue, but I think it might have less hold.

I love the hair paste for air-drying hair. If I work a dab into my hair while it's still slightly damp and arrange it into place with my fingers, it controls frizz and puffiness. This product allows me to avoid damaging my hair with heat styling.

On dry hair I use it to control my bangs and any frizzy or unruly bits, and add light texture. The downside of this product is that I cannot imagine it working for more extreme shaggy/spiky looks on my hair.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2011 2:20:00 AM More reviews by fionamimi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I don't like KMS but I do LOVE their texture line. This molding paste is AMAZING, works wonders and doesn't fall apart in 10 minutes.

I love using this on fresh cut bobs, defining texture, piecey hair cuts, pixies, anything. Such a great styling product. Also if you're trying to make your hair dirty for an up-do to stay, this is GREAT for that, work it in your hands, scrunch it into your hair with some dry shampoo and hair spray. Up-do ready!

I have two of these, one of my travel and one for myself.
The packaging can be smaller but hey, great stuff

Totally worth it, last forever, a little goes a long way

rated 4 of 5 on 1/17/2011 10:12:00 PM More reviews by reporter1911

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Very good product for my fine hair. Molds it into a nice shape, controls flyaways and gives a great piece-y look to layers. I've tried a lot of stuff to add texture to my layered, chin length hair, and this is one of the best. I can't decide if it's as good as Pureology texture twist. My hairdresser thinks it is, but I'm on the fence. It is definitely very close, and it wins points for being cheaper. It's a good buy, and definitely something I would highly recommend.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2011 1:07:00 AM More reviews by sephirias

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

along with the paste up spray, my hairstylist used this on my hair when it was still damp. both products gave such a punky and funky look that i immediately ordered them online. my hairstyle is quite similar to rihanna's when she sported the long fringe look a couple of years ago at home, w/o the creative hands of my stylist, i'm unable to work the salon magic into my hair. nevertheless, i use this almost everyday to keep my long fringe in place and to poof up the back part of my head where the hair is short. love this paste, it keeps everything in place while not being greasy/sticky and is extremely pliable. there is a faint lemony scent which doesn't really linger. no problems with washing this paste out too.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/8/2009 2:42:00 PM More reviews by FrugalMakeupAddict

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is an amazing paste for short hair to give it texture and definition and amazing control. Perfect for men too, because it is quite matte. A lot of guys don't like to look like they have stuff in their hair. You use it in dry hair after you have styled it, to finish it, separating and defining little pieces. ( you could use it in wet hair and air dry just for added texture) It is quite potent. Use very very little or it will look white and gunky. if used correctly, it will not get greasy and weigh the hair down. It has a good strong holding ability, but stays somewhat pliable. This is good even for really fine hair. I don't particularly like it for longer hair, but rather prefer the slightly less strong cream version.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/24/2009 2:00:00 PM More reviews by eveoneverything

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

While my favorite styling paste is Aquage Transforming Paste, this ranks a close enough second to also get 5 marks. I tend to buy this more often because it's easier to find. Gels, pomades, and other wet styling products make my fine short, hair look oily, and I find wax annoying to work with. This paste has a matte finish, leaving me with touchable styled hair that doesn't look like it has product in it.

I blow dry my hair upside down, spread one pump of paste on my hands, and run them over the ends of my hair, scrunching if I want to make any waves more pronounced. At least once a week I'm asked 1) who cuts my hair (me) or 2) what I use (this).

rated 4 of 5 on 2/20/2009 7:42:00 AM More reviews by Starcat

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This is a product that I stumbled upon about 5 or 6 years ago. I use it up and go on to something else and then end up going back. Each time I wonder why I stopped using it!

It is a paste with a good hold, controls frizz, matt finish and decent scent. (Scent is very important to me! A product could be the best thing ever and have a weird scent & I won't use it.)
I've used it when my hair was pixie short and am using it again as I grow out layers.

It is very similar to Redken Rough Paste with a slightly stronger hold.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/21/2008 6:09:00 AM More reviews by mayrei

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this stuff. Combined with S-Factor Smoothing Lusterizer, my hair has never looked better. I use this to control frizz, and it does a good job. I dispense a dab of this into my hand, rub between my palms to warm it up a bit, and smooth it down over the crown and work it down to the tips. Then I comb it through to make sure it's evenly distributed. It works wonderfully. My hair has bounce but is silky and smooth after straightening. When leaving my hair curly, it gives me more defined curls and keep the frizz down. I have tried this on it's own, and it's pretty good, but it's amazing when combined with the Lusterizer or some other smoothing, antifrizz products that can't quite do the job alone.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/14/2007 3:00:00 PM More reviews by Puffster

Excellent in humidity! This stuff is a bit sticky and you have to really work it in to avoid white goops but it's worth trying on curly hair.