April 16, 2014 | 2034 users online

Lotions/ Creams - Palmers - Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula For Dry, Ashy Skin Lotion

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2012 3:44:00 AM More reviews by LizWords

I initially wanted to give this product two lippies for the awful lingering smell it imparts on your body, but because this AHA lotion is effective I guess it deserves a 3. It's just too bad the rotten cocoa smell never goes away, I could handle it if it only lingered for an hour or two but even after a 12 hour work day I can smell it on my skin. Even my strongest perfumes don't cover the smell, so I cannot wear it during the day when I'm leaving the house, and honestly the smell grosses me out so bad I don't really want to wear it all. I know a lot of AHA lotions do not smell good, and that often companies add a bunch of fragrance to try to mask the smell of the acid, but this one did not do a good job at all.

Yet, as I said, it is quite effective for gentle chemical exfoliation, it's quite affordable, and moisturizes quite well. If it weren't for the smell I would have loved this lotion.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2012 6:34:00 PM More reviews by sweetdase

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love this product. I bought many Palmers products based on all the positive reviews they've been receiving and I have to admit, Palmers is a pretty good brand for cheap. I use this body lotion after showering and it is very hydrating to the skin! When I shower again, I can feel the lotion still on me and have to wash it off again. It keeps my skin soft and non greasy. Where I live, it is very dry so my skin because flaky and ashy, so this lotion helps a lot! Would definitely repurchase at a cheap price and would definitely recommend as well. I love the pump style packaging as it makes it so much easier to apply after showering too!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2012 12:53:00 PM More reviews by berrenice

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This product is amazing, i have eczema and i'm always looking for nourishing and great smelling products besides aqueous cream. I bought this today and really love it! My skin stays hydrated and smells like cocoa. Skin doesn't itch anymore and my dry 'scales' have disappeared after applying it.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/2/2012 10:05:00 PM More reviews by hacdmb41

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I only recently became acquainted with Palmer's huge line of products and I have to say that I have not been disappointed yet. This particular product I have found to be truly amazing. I am a licensed (although not practicing right now) Esthetician and am constantly looking for the most beneficial ingredients in products. I have only been using this for two days and it is a miracle worker!!! My heels were very dry and with two applications the dryness is gone! My whole body just drinks this in. I apply it all over, even on my hands which are also very dry due to excessive hand washing. The scent kind of took me aback but I'm used to it now and as one reviewer stated it could smell like rotten cheese and I'd still bathe in it! Love it, love it, love it! Love that it contains AHA's/BHA's! I will never stop using this lotion. I recommend it highly to anyone looking for a lightweight, quickly absorbing, wonderfully smoothing lotion!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/13/2011 2:21:00 AM More reviews by mehrunissa

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have severely dry skin and keratosis pilaris, so I'm always on the lookout for GOOD lotions that will help ease/improve both conditions. Most lotions fall into two categories: ultra-rich that doesn't fully absorb and leaves a greasy film OR so light and watery that it has to be reapplied every hour. Both are equally bad.

I have stayed away from Palmer's because I have never been a fan of the fragrance. I just don't like the way "cocoa butter" smells, too sickly sweet for me. So I picked up this bottle with some trepidation, because the last Palmer's lotion I bought over 10 years ago got tossed because of the fragrance. But the label was speaking to me. 1) For Dry, Ashy Skin - that's me in a nutshell. 2) Shea Butter & ALPHA/BETA HYDROXY - lactic and salicylic acid, exactly what works best for KP and dry skin (I know, I know, they're probably in minuscule amounts rendered even more ineffective by some arbitrary pH)! And I thought, it's shea butter, maybe it won't reek like cocoa butter. Though it doesn't reek, it still has that funny Palmer's fragrance...

I've used the lotion for a week now, and the scent has grown on me. I actually kind of like it on me. Once it's been on for a little while, it warms into a nice, benign sort of vanilla, which I like. Beyond the scent, it softens my skin like no other lotion has. It's weird, because it's kind of watery out of the bottle and absorbs into my skin very quickly, but this is the most hydrated my skin has been in a while. And it stays hydrated for the whole day. I apply in the morning after I shower and once at night, and my skin is so smooth, I can't stop touching myself! My KP isn't gone, but the roughest spots are softer. I'm going to give it a few more weeks to see if the lotion can improve it some more, but if not, I'll still keep using it because the rest of me feels amazing. I'll just buy a bottle of 3% or 5% SA and apply to my worst KP areas. :)

Update (three bottles later): Still love the lotion. My KP is in the best condition it has been in years (which isn't to say it's 100% gone, but maybe 50-60% improved). I'm a brown girl, so my skin color is all over the place, specially in the summer. I thought I would just have to stay 10 different shades of brown forever, but this lotion has evened me out like nobody's business! Also, my chest and back acne is gone. I hadn't noticed until this morning when I was lotioning up, I was so pleasantly surprised. I didn't think the lactic and salicylic acid would be strong enough to really be that effective, but I guess it's doing something, because I have never had these kinds of results from a lotion before. I had written all lotions off (in terms of any fancy claims they made beyond basic moisturizing) and always bought cheap generic bottles. To think they only charge $5 a bottle. Palmer's Ashy & Dry for life.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/31/2011 5:36:00 PM More reviews by Jesuis

Love this! I am a body moisturiser junkie but I always go back to Palmer's. I'm 22, and only recently started to get into moisturising daily (toughie!) I apply this on immediately after I shower so it melts into my skin. I just finished off a 500mL bottle, moving on to the next one. This moisturiser is dirt cheap! I purchased 2 x500mL for AU$10. Moisturisng and cheap. What's not to love?

rated 5 of 5 on 12/6/2010 1:40:00 PM More reviews by beigepearl5

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

Definetly on my Top 3. Anways, here it is:

PROS:
+Dries fast
+Big Bottle
+Skin is baby soft
+Smells like chocolate :d
+Absorbs at lighteing speed
+Dries quickly and evenly
+Formula is invisible
+Spredible, light-medium thick consistency

CONS:
-Not long lasting. Re-apply every 4-5 hours
Result: Beautiful, healthy and supple skin

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/7/2010 8:05:00 AM More reviews by fenestra

I bought this quite cheaply after my beloved Aveeno Daily Moisture stopped working on my eczema. Less than 24 hours later and only three applications, the scaly patches on my legs are nearly gone. The scent is somewhat more "barky" than the original (which I adore but does nothing for my eczema) but, to be honest, this could smell like feta cheese left in the car on a hot summer day and I'd still slather it on my legs with fervor. ♥

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/22/2009 12:26:00 AM More reviews by brighid_karis

I've only been using this for a few days, and I'll update my review if things change. So far, it's made my skin a bit softer, but considering that I wasn't really moisturizing at all before, that's not surprising. It hasn't touched my razor bumps, mild KP, or callused spots, but I wouldn't expect that in under a week anyway.
I contacted ET Browne's customer service to ask them about the concentration of AHA and BHA, and the pH of the product. The woman who got back to me was unable to tell me the pH, but the concentrations she gave were as follows: 3.25% AHA and 0.25% BHA. Even at an appropriate pH, that is unlikely to do much. I bought two bottles of this stuff before getting a reply to my customer service e-mail, and it'll be September or October before Paula's Choice brings back their Weightless Body Treatment, so I'll keep using it as a lotion. I'm not expecting anything great, though.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2009 11:12:00 PM More reviews by olelala

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Love the fact that this lotion has AHA's! My skin during the winter time is horribly dry and scaly, and this lotion provides the moisture I need. It is not greasy, it's inexpensive, it keeps my skin moisturized throughout the day and night, and it really does remove the ashy tone to my skin. I put it on right after I shower, and it feels great!

Just one lippie off for its strong cocoa smell (the first time I put it on my mom was around and asked what I was baking, LOL) - if they made an unscented version or toned down the scent this would be PERFECT. But for all the wonderful effects it gives, I'll deal with the smell.