October 30, 2014 | 1696 users online

Eye Shadow - Fyrinnae - Loose Powder in Selkie Skin

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2011 3:18:00 PM More reviews by jikl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

LOVE this. I'm fair cool-toned mousey blonde/brown with blue eyes and this is a great taupe for me. I wear it just on it's own with mascara and a little black eyeliner and its one of my favourite looks. It's a slightly warm mid brown/dark taupe that's got a cool toned almost blue shimmer, and its amazing for blue eyes. I like to pat it on along the lower waterline for a smokey wet look.
I bought $20 worth of eyeshadow samples from Fyrinnae about 2 years ago, this was one of my favourites from those. I keep it for special occasions now because it's running low and I Fyrinnae seems to be closed down (or just never taking orders?).
Like the rest of my Fyrinnae favourites (Cookie Dough and Damn Paladins) the shimmer in this is so fine when it warms to the skin it settles in (even after applying dry with no base) to look almost glossy and skin-like which is the real beauty for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/30/2011 2:38:00 PM More reviews by gorosheeta

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

I used to be a total taupe hoor. Any e/s with 'taupe' in its description? Into the cart it goes. I've spent major $$ and time tracking down and buying taupes. I had seen swatches of Selkie Skin floating around MUA, but Fyr d/ced this color before I had a chance to buy it; so, for months I scoured swap lists for it. Eventually I managed to get my hands on a sample of SS. It was gorgeous, but not quite up to the swatches.Apparently Fyr colors can vary pretty widely from batch to batch. So I swapped for another sample. Again, stunning, but not what I was expecting. Months later, I had an opportunity to swap for a full size. One look, and I knew I had found my HG. I've never looked at another taupe again, and even passed up on buying Smoke & Diamonds, Moth Brown, and the famous Shu ME because Selkie Skin satisfies all my taupe desires. I'm a one-taupe girl now :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/14/2010 6:51:00 PM More reviews by shanstuff

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have very fair, cool/neutral skin and dark brown eyes. On me,Selkie Skin is a beautiful chocolate brown with lavender undertones. It works beautifully with pale taupe colors, and Fyrinnae's "Cheeky" is a great highlighter color with it. Since I'm so fair, I don't typically use this as a lid color unless I am going for a dark, smoky eye...I prefer it as a crease color. It has a bit of a sheen and a duochromatic look to it, but it's not overwhelming and is perfectly suitable for me at age 40. I currently own the sample size, but plan to purchase the full size when I run out of this one. Highly recommend as a beautiful neutral with a kick!

Be aware that this is a loose pigment sold in a jar, so you will want to use a primer to help it adhere to the skin and minimize fallout. In addition, start with a minimal amount of pigment and build your color, as the color payoff is VERY dense and a little goes a VERY long way. However, the blendability on this is great, and once you get the hang of it, it's very easy to work with.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/21/2009 8:22:00 PM More reviews by stormynights24

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Definitely a staple in my collection of eyeshadows, Selkie Skin appears on me as a muted (but not matte) gray/blue/purple holographic-type color. An amazingly close dupe of MAC's Moth Brown though this is much less $$.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/20/2008 7:23:00 PM More reviews by sixxmum

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Note: Fyrinnae shadows are really more like a 1.5 in cost, but that isn't an option here.

I think this might be my favorite cool dark brown shadow. While it is definitely a brown, there are some green and lavender shimmers underneath that make it particularly pretty with taupes, browns, and greens. This is one of Fyrinnae's shimmer shades; however, I don't find the shimmer to be over the top even for my age (42) and it is definitely not glittery. This is one of the colors I always recommend to new Fyrinnae users or those seeking more neutral tones.

Below is an image of the shadow pressed:
continued >>

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/29/2008 5:21:00 PM More reviews by ImCastingMagicMissiles

*Click "Continued" the see the pictures in this review*

Selkie Skin is exactly the same shade as MAC's Moth Brown, so much so that I RAOKed my MB away to a friend. If you missed out on Moth Brown or prefer loose shadows, Selkie Skin identical in color yet more pigmented and much longer lasting. For those not familiar with either, Selkie Skin is described on Fyrinnae's site as "Dark, velvety neutral brown with highlights of light green and lavender." The exact shade you get depends on how you apply it. Applied opaquely, you get more lavender and grey-taupe; sheered out, you get more golden-green and brown. It works with warm and cool shades alike and adds a unique dimension to smoky eye looks. I like to pair it with deeper shades, such as Feeling Dizzy and Mystic, and also with brighter highlight shades such as Taurus, Montalivet, Moon Child, and MAC Vanilla pigment.

Selkie Skin swatches vs Moth Brown:

continued >>

13 out of 15 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/25/2008 2:18:00 PM More reviews by SuzyCutie

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I got my order last week(ordered Feb 9,so not too bad,considering)and I immediately had to try this color.
Holy pigment,batman,this goes on and STAYS there.I actually had to buff it with a cotton ball,otherwise I look like I lost the boxing match.I've been using it with Shroom and Bamboo and I do like how it looks;really brings out the green in my eyes.
Not really jazzed about the teeny jars-powder gets all over the place,but I'll survive.All in all a nice neutral.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/8/2008 2:31:00 AM More reviews by LittleGnome

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Another one of my Fyrinnae "must try" colors, if you like neutrals. I love taupe eyeshadow so this is a very beautiful color and it's a little different because it has a little bit of a purple/duochrome reflect to it. It looks medium sparkly greyish brown taupe in the pot but if you move it around in the light you can see the purpleish duochrome to it. I haven't seen too many other colors like it and it's gorgeous on. Brings out the green in my eyes, like a good medium grey-brown taupe should, but this even more so because of the purpled effect. I applied dry and had no texture problems with it that way. Lasts better with a primer like theirs or UDPP but decent on its own. Definitely on the full size list. I use this one on the lid but I have used it as a crease color as well and it's beautiful and versatile. Looks wonderful on the lid with black or dark grey liner.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/17/2007 2:50:00 AM More reviews by boo_hiss

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I think this is a perfect velvety brown everyone should own. It goes on smooth and stays all day. I use it with Clinique Foxy lately and I loooove it. I bought the sample size ( teaspoon for $1.50) and I will purchase the full size once it runs out.